Sponsored by:

77 AC Condensor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:43 AM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 77 AC Receiver/Dryer Removal

How hard is it to remove and replace the AC receiver/dryer on a 77? It appears that it would be extremely difficult due to the fact that it is tucked in behind the coolant reservoir and in a very hard to reach location. Is it bolted in place or is it just held in place by the coolant lines that are attached?

Last edited by LSH77VETTE; 05-24-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On my non VIR '77 it is strapped to a bracket with a metal band held with a small bolt. It is best reached from the bottom by removing the splash shield behind the tire. I used a cut off 10" Crescent wrench to tighten the fitting that is in the fender well area. I was able to find a one piece that made the alignment easier. Start the fittings with the strap off then secure with the strap and then final tightening. mike...

Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by mds3013
On my non VIR '77 it is strapped to a bracket with a metal band held with a small bolt. It is best reached from the bottom by removing the splash shield behind the tire. I used a cut off 10" Crescent wrench to tighten the fitting that is in the fender well area. I was able to find a one piece that made the alignment easier. Start the fittings with the strap off then secure with the strap and then final tightening. mike...

Thanks for the info. This is extremely helpful. When you say "splash shield", are you referring to the panel on the bottom of the car that is right behind the tire and directly below the accumulator? I see two bolts on one side of this cover, but is that all that holds it in place? Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated
Old 05-25-2015, 06:22 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There are four bolts. Two vertical at the fender flange and two horizontal behind the rocker cover. I forgot to mention the rocker cover must come off to access those two bolts. Use a little refrigerant oil on the new o-rings, the threads on the fittings and the pipe where the female fittings rotate. This greatly reduces the tendency of the components trying to twist and prevents damage to the o-rings. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 05-25-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

And ... Don't pop open the the dryer until you are ready to install and then immediately pull a vacuum on the system, otherwise the dryer will be sucking the moisture out of the ambient air or in the system.

Frank
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by mds3013
There are four bolts. Two vertical at the fender flange and two horizontal behind the rocker cover. I forgot to mention the rocker cover must come off to access those two bolts. Use a little refrigerant oil on the new o-rings, the threads on the fittings and the pipe where the female fittings rotate. This greatly reduces the tendency of the components trying to twist and prevents damage to the o-rings. mike...

Thank you Mike !!!! Extremely helpful info. Now I just need to determine the best compressor and dryer to buy in order to convert to R134 and then change everything out. Do you know whether or not the new compressors and dryers come with the new O rings needed, or will I need to buy an O ring kit (and where to buy)? Thanks again for your help and the photo's. I greatly appreciate your help
Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by myoriginal77
And ... Don't pop open the the dryer until you are ready to install and then immediately pull a vacuum on the system, otherwise the dryer will be sucking the moisture out of the ambient air or in the system.

Frank
Thanks for the advice Frank :-)

Get notified of new replies

To 77 AC Condensor Removal

Quick Reply: 77 AC Condensor Removal