C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car thieves, how to discourage them.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car thieves, how to discourage them.

First off.. try not to list all the goodies you put into your car security.. I'm not looking to pry, nor advertise your security to would be thieves.

With that said. First time I have owned such an old vehicles without all the technologies of today.

I have already ordered a steering wheel lock and a cheap GPS device, but I feel this is not enough. At my house, there's no enclosed garage. Just a car port and a cover for the vehicle(which being a convertible will be all to easy to cut the top and get into.)

Having seen everything from kill switches to kill switches that require a key fob, I am a bit confused where to go. They all claim they're the best and its hard to find genuine reviews on any of them.

I live in a decent area of town, the problem is the close surrounding area is fairly trashy. In a town of 1300 people, folks will know where this car lives as I drive it around town back and forth.

Without giving your security away. What do you use to send a message to would be thief to "move on to the next car"?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Imho....

Originally Posted by S**ttersFull
First off.. try not to list all the goodies you put into your car security.. I'm not looking to pry, nor advertise your security to would be thieves.

With that said. First time I have owned such an old vehicles without all the technologies of today.

I have already ordered a steering wheel lock and a cheap GPS device, but I feel this is not enough. At my house, there's no enclosed garage. Just a car port and a cover for the vehicle(which being a convertible will be all to easy to cut the top and get into.)

Having seen everything from kill switches to kill switches that require a key fob, I am a bit confused where to go. They all claim they're the best and its hard to find genuine reviews on any of them.

I live in a decent area of town, the problem is the close surrounding area is fairly trashy. In a town of 1300 people, folks will know where this car lives as I drive it around town back and forth.

Without giving your security away. What do you use to send a message to would be thief to "move on to the next car"?
IMHO, you need a dog like "SNOT"!!!

Or dog(s)!!! would be even better!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a big ol' yellow boot.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

The sad fact is if a bad guy wants our cars bad enough they will get it,
My vw trike for example has no key but good luck starting and driving it without knowing how but so what, it would get towed away if someone wanted it that badly.
Steering locks, you know how quickly that can be defeated?
I have a pager alarm on my c3 just so I know if it's being putzed with but when it's all said and done my theft prevention is insuring my car for enough to build another...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Get a big ol' yellow boot.
A good visual deterrent (even in red).

Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by S**ttersFull
I don't think they'll look me up here...

FWIW, I use a club and a battery disconnect. My C3 is parked in a garage that is locked and normally there is a car or two (usually my C4 and/or an old Monte Carlo SS I need to sell) parked on the drive behind it. I also have a dog that likes to sit in the bedroom window above the garage and bark and I've got nosy retired neighbors who are almost always around... I've been thinking about putting a security camera up over the driveway because there have been some car break-ins around lately.

Anyway, not to say it would be impossible to steal my C3, but it would take some effort to do it. And unless someone is really fixated on a car that would be hard to fence (without parting it out) and really isn't worth a whole lot anyway (maybe $10k on a good day to the right buyer)... The neighbor's BMW would be a lot more profitable to steal I'd think.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

With the huge amount of 3rd Gen F-bodys getting stolen the club does nothing to slow them down.

One guy had a camera above his garage and we got to see how they disabled the alarm and cut the club with what looked like huge bolt cutters. Club was removed in 10 seconds.

Then you have the tow trucks that can take your car while parallel parked. If they want it they can take it.

I'd say a boot on the front tires are your best bet. Hard to tow and roll.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I said the boot is a "visual" deterrent.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:49 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Best "Thief Deterrent" I have found. It's lightweight, compact and very effective!

Old 05-24-2015, 05:56 PM
PJake
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
Best "Thief Deterrent" I have found. It's lightweight, compact and very effective!

And the word gets out real fast to the bad guys.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Many car thieves are thwarted by a clutch pedal.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:28 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Put a .....

KKK Lifetime member sticker on the window
Old 05-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by PJake
And the word gets out real fast to the bad guys.
And here's the 'instruction video'.................

Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Sniper4x4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had time to add a alarm yet but I did purchase a brake pedal (sort of club device) but the brakes can't be pushed unless they unlock it, but it just crossed my mind they could use the emergency brake

Damn it
Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Originally Posted by vetteguy75

Oh that's not an issue for me.. While I'm here the car is well protected.(Yes this is real, yes it's mine. And of course I'd never use this for home defense, I just like showing it off.. Gun dealer)

We had an attempted break in while we were home around midnight one night. Likely a drugy. Anyhow, have had no problems since a red bearded guy came running out on back porch in just boxers and a glock screaming.

I'm just worried about when I'm not here. Or when we are on vacation somewhere with the car and someone decides to take off with it while we are sleeping in a hotel room on other side of building. Are there any good kill switch devices folks use here?

I have an automatic so no clutch lock And I'd be afraid someone would damage my car trying to drive off with a break lock.

Last edited by S**ttersFull; 05-24-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

When I was young, a friend of mine had a home-made anti-theft device. The car would not start unless the cigar lighter was pushed in. It would make a contact on part of the ignition circuit. I loved it.. I still can see him popping it in every time he started it up and off we went.

My first vehicle ran on propane or gas. I had a toggle switch under the dash to switch back and forth between the two fuels. I could turn it to the middle position for no fuel. Not only did it work good to keep other from starting it (or going very far depending on the fuel), it worked great if ever flooded the engine on gas; I could just turn off the gas and crank it for a moment.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live two doors away from a guy that has 5 C-5's and 1 C-4 in his garages (Never drives them. Yeah... my wife agrees, he has issues). Any thief who wants a Corvette will migrate over there before he goes after mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Car thieves, how to discourage them.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,927 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Get a good insurance policy and forget about it all. Bottom line if a thief what's your car he will get it one way or another. If your scared move to a safer neighborhood or sell your car
Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniper4x4
I haven't had time to add a alarm yet but I did purchase a brake pedal (sort of club device) but the brakes can't be pushed unless they unlock it, but it just crossed my mind they could use the emergency brake

Damn it
Aren't those supposed to be used to lock the brake pedal down so that they can't move the car because the brakes are on?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:05 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
Aren't those supposed to be used to lock the brake pedal down so that they can't move the car because the brakes are on?
On the newer cars, if you can press the brake, you can't shift out of park either. But it sure seem easy to simply move it out of the way or wedge it to the side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car thieves, how to discourage them.