C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

C6s are nice, but way out of my price range. I have a C3 (1980) and a C4 (1984) because these are attainable on my budget. The C3 I only drive weekends and club events, the C4 is my daily driver since I got it to replace the 2002 Monte Carlo SS I'd been driving -- the C4 has over 100k less miles on it than the Monte Carlo...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Here's a few facts to take into consideration.

There are two types of cars. Those that depreciate in value, and those that appreciate. Every day that goes by, that C6 is worth a little less, and that C3 is worth a little more.

10 years ago when I bought my '72, my son bought a used '02 Z06, which was really something special back then and got all the attention, my '72, not so much. Now his Z06, while still a great car, is not that special, while my '72 is more so and gets the attention.

Though pretty reliable, the C6 is a complicated beast, and parts are not cheap, nor are all systems aboard are user serviceable or friendly. There isn't much on a C3 that can't be fixed by your average gearhead.

To me, neither vehicle excels as an everyday driver.
The value for C3's except for specific option combinations or engine setups (especially big blocks) have stayed the same for many years now.. A small block C3, especially those with non matching numbers are still the same price as they were 10 - 15 years ago.. However, that's still better than having a car depreciate.. I bought my yellow '68 in 2005 and sold it in 2012 for the same price that I paid for in 2005... Can't do the same with a newer car.. Lost over $9k in one year on my C6 Vert that I bought in 2006 and sold in 2007...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
The value for C3's except for specific option combinations or engine setups (especially big blocks) have stayed the same for many years now.. A small block C3, especially those with non matching numbers are still the same price as they were 10 - 15 years ago.. However, that's still better than having a car depreciate.. I bought my yellow '68 in 2005 and sold it in 2012 for the same price that I paid for in 2005... Can't do the same with a newer car.. Lost over $9k in one year on my C6 Vert that I bought in 2006 and sold in 2007...
And you actually wonder why some purists are so upset and butt chapped...
Old 05-26-2015, 04:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

EH, 20 years ago, I bought my old show car '72 vert for 8 grand, over the years I suppose I have another honest 8 grand into it, including tires and mods......the car has grown from a totally stock running gear into a total 'hotrod'.....ok maybe it not all THAT HOT, but there is nothing stock about this car, from wheels through roof, I mean nothing, name it, it's been modified ......the list is simply much tooooooo long to type...

the short list is ....plastic spring, front coils, Bilstein shocks, '89 vette wheels/VBP adapters, O ring calipers, HB brakes, alum m/cyl, rack steering by ME before any kits out, roller 355 engine L98 heads, LT1 induction keeping the HEI try THAT you kids.....obviously serp drive, aluminum rad, electric fans, 200 trans, cut the firewall forward some 3" at the floor, to push the pedals forward and get my knees off the steering wheel, which is TT from a late shark, lowered the seat too....the interior is black and tan, same as a nice cowboy hat I have.....Tail lights are '68 Buick by previous owners....front grill is totally custom, front lights totally modified, fixed and lo profile whith means small holes in the front......no door locks convertible, so who needs them??? total security from theft....electronic and take over a few hours for a crook to drive it away....and at THAT he better be a GOOD ET......

Like I say, NOTHING is stock.....I get comments ALL the time when I drive it.....what YEAR is that?? I laugh and say "what year you LIKE"?? it has parts on it from '65 through '94, take your pick....

edit, forgot to add my site.....for pix......

Last edited by mrvette; 05-26-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I own a C6 but check in on the C3 forum once in awhile because it is my favorite generation.

I own a C6 because I prefer newer technology in my cars. That being said, the C3 IMO is hands down the best looking sports car ever built (not just against other Vettes).

I will ultimately end up with a C3 or C7 someday but that's down the road.

Though I have modded my C6 enough to make it look decent, it still pales in comparison to any C3. I would rank the C3, C7 first and second with the C6 somewhere in the middle looks wise. Enjoy the search, it's part of the fun!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mgunn
I was just going through the same situation. My first vette was a 91 for about five years. Sold it, then got a 02 which I owned for six. I just recently sold the 02 and was having a hard time choosing between a C6 and an early C3. I ended up buying a beautiful targa blue 72 last week and I'm very happy with my decision.
Pictures?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Well, having only ever driven a C6, I am more biased towards C3's. In the defense of the C6 I drove, it was a Z06, longtube headers, cammed, tuned, etc. It was just an incredible car! ...like WOW!

However, I have had a few C3's and C1-C5's. Sold all unfortunately to keep my '72. Miss the others, but can't go wrong with a '72.

I like pictures. Hope y'all don't mind pictures. I could write a novel on why I love C3's so much, but I will let these pictures do the talking. I assume that their "1,000 words" are going to be better selling than mine.

High school

Hawaii

After paint

Anyways, lots and lots of pictures....but hope they help. I want a C6, but if it meant only a C6 or C3..I would take the C3.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
I like pictures. Hope y'all don't mind pictures. I could write a novel on why I love C3's so much, but I will let these pictures do the talking. I assume that their "1,000 words" are going to be better selling than mine.

Anyways, lots and lots of pictures....but hope they help. I want a C6, but if it meant only a C6 or C3..I would take the C3.
Now THAT'S a money shot!

She's a beauty! What was she doing in Hawaii? From the Gas Monkey pic, I assume you live in the DFW area?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ
Now THAT'S a money shot!

She's a beauty! What was she doing in Hawaii? From the Gas Monkey pic, I assume you live in the DFW area?
Thank you, and I lived there before I moved to Texas for college. I live about 2 hours east of DFW, but have family all over DFW. I have met pretty much every one of the "Monkeys."
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

How does each make you feel when you drive them?

My 08' LS3 and 09' Z06 where highly competent cars, but unless you were driving at 9/10ths, were as exciting as any other boring modern car.

My 71' Dart 550hp powered convertible makes my hair stand on end just when starting it. I get constant attention and thumbs up everywhere I go. I love this car.

Quick Reply: Opinions: C3 vs. C6 - Why do you love your C3?