Sponsored by:

first c3, has rust please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default first c3, has rust please help

Hi all, I just bought a 77. It was a impulse buy :-( after stalking this forum I've learnt to check the areas of the bird cage. The wind shield pillars has minor rust, but the body mounts behind the kick panels look terrible. I'm just trying to make this a daily driver. Did I waste 3000 bucks?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

If that's the worst of it I don't think there's anything there to be too concerned with. I'd clean it up as much as I could, fill whatever holes appear as well as you can, paint it with a rust preventative paint and drive it. That's my $3000 driver advice.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:09 PM
vannmike
Racer

Thank you. I just read all the horror stories on here about the cage. Just want it to be safe ya know?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

That's in real good shape for $3,000. Do what Barry suggested, then go have a blast.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM
vannmike
Racer

Thanks zoomin. The body is in decent shape too.the 350 in it is okay. My plan is to Just slap a paint job on it and put a blueprint 383 in it.. Love the look of the car though. Can't beat the way the body contours are on a c3.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I've made a lot worse mistakes than 3 grand

Your ok at that price.

Now if it were 30K

That d be diff
Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 AM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I've made a lot worse mistakes than 3 grand

Your ok at that price.

Now if it were 30K

That d be diff
Thanks ls4, I was starting to get worried. Just concerned about the safety of the vehicle.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vannmike
Hi all, I just bought a 77. It was a impulse buy :-( after stalking this forum I've learnt to check the areas of the bird cage. The wind shield pillars has minor rust, but the body mounts behind the kick panels look terrible. I'm just trying to make this a daily driver. Did I waste 3000 bucks?

I recommend taking a wire brush and brush off any loose rust and spray that area with Rust Mort, follow the application instruction on the bottle and repaint. Good luck..
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

There is a product called Rust Mort that most auto paint stores have brush it on be careful not to get it on you .Good purchase have a good ride.
Wes
Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks zoomin. The body is in decent shape too.the 350 in it is okay. My plan is to Just slap a paint job on it and put a blueprint 383 in it.. Love the look of the car though. Can't beat the way the body contours are on a c3.
Your #2 mount looks in way better shape than mine and I paid over double what you did. Admittedly, everything else seems to be okay and in fine working order.

Good luck, there's tons of resources and helpful members.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 AM
vannmike
Racer

Thanks for all the responses guys. I will check out the rust Mort today. I know my floor pans gotta be replaced. Holes every where. There really pricey. Any one know where to get one bought and shipped for under 300 a piece?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. I will check out the rust Mort today. I know my floor pans gotta be replaced. Holes every where. There really pricey. Any one know where to get one bought and shipped for under 300 a piece?
Someone on this forum might have them. I've found that checking out CL for people parting out a C3 might be one of your best resources. I'm keeping a watchful eye out for a LH inner fender myself
Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 AM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by NJStingray
Someone on this forum might have them. I've found that checking out CL for people parting out a C3 might be one of your best resources. I'm keeping a watchful eye out for a LH inner fender myself
Yeah I will check it out. It shocked me how expensive they were. And i just called the parts store. Said they have rust fix by dupli color. But no rust Mort. Looks like an amazon purchase
Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are "handy" you can repair them with fiberglass version. I did that to a 79. clean the entire floor and then took a 1/4 sheet of plywood cut to the size of the floor, covered one side with wax paper. Then put that side under the floor board with wax paper side up and hold it with a floor jack. Mix some epoxy, brush that on the floor (inside) then take some fiberglass cloth and cut to size. use the throw away paint brush to work the epoxy into the cloth. Then apply another coat of epoxy and another layer of fiberglass cloth. I painted them with the bedliner paint from local hardware store starting with "L".
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
If you are "handy" you can repair them with fiberglass version. I did that to a 79. clean the entire floor and then took a 1/4 sheet of plywood cut to the size of the floor, covered one side with wax paper. Then put that side under the floor board with wax paper side up and hold it with a floor jack. Mix some epoxy, brush that on the floor (inside) then take some fiberglass cloth and cut to size. use the throw away paint brush to work the epoxy into the cloth. Then apply another coat of epoxy and another layer of fiberglass cloth. I painted them with the bedliner paint from local hardware store starting with "L".
What does the wax paper and ply wood do? And should I spray the under side of the pan to prevent rust after I repair and/ or replace them?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

What does your frame look like?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by JimLentz
What does your frame look like?
Pretty solid as far as I can tell. Surface rust. No holes.

Get notified of new replies

To first c3, has rust please help

Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks like there is something that happened over the years, but there are certainly ones in far worse condition.

I paid $7k for my 1970 in Jan 2012. My birdcage is in worse shape than that. My #2 mount is in a little better condition than that (you can still plainly see the bolt/washer, though there is some rust), my frame has accident damage and non-fatal dogleg issues, and my second crossmember (trans mount) has been inexplicably torched at one of the exhaust ports.

I have a frame hanging in my garage...my next "major" project...

I think you're doing just fine. Monitor it and drive it. Deal with it once you get some miles under your belt.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM
rene040269
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I waste 3000 bucks?
Hey man, you just bought a C3 Vette, a rolling tribute to awsomeness,

that is never a waste.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:16 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Looks like there is something that happened over the years, but there are certainly ones in far worse condition.

I paid $7k for my 1970 in Jan 2012. My birdcage is in worse shape than that. My #2 mount is in a little better condition than that (you can still plainly see the bolt/washer, though there is some rust), my frame has accident damage and non-fatal dogleg issues, and my second crossmember (trans mount) has been inexplicably torched at one of the exhaust ports.

I have a frame hanging in my garage...my next "major" project...

I think you're doing just fine. Monitor it and drive it. Deal with it once you get some miles under your belt.
Gotcha. I really like the car. Just don't think I have the know-how or time to frame off this thing. Game plan it to get a good paint job, get a crate motor, and do the interior. Just have a really fast and fun cruiser

Quick Reply: first c3, has rust please help