Sponsored by:

Transmission leak!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 AM
jtl1567
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak!

I noticed a small puddle (2in) of transmission fluid under my transmission. replaced the filter and gasket with the rubber one. and while under noticed my dip stick tube was not even in got a new one and put it in. now the leak is bigger! Help! i see drips coming from the front passenger side of the pan.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jtl1567
I noticed a small puddle (2in) of transmission fluid under my transmission. replaced the filter and gasket with the rubber one. and while under noticed my dip stick tube was not even in got a new one and put it in. now the leak is bigger! Help! i see drips coming from the front passenger side of the pan.
Help us understand a little better. you were missing the dip stick tube? or it was just not installed correctly? the dipstick tube should have a rubber seal in the body of the trans, and the tube pushes in fully then bolts through the top engine to tranny bolt to keep it in place.

if you just replaced the filter and pan gasket, that is another place to look for a leak. it is very easy to over-torque the pan bolts and squish the gasket and cause a leak. over filling and on an incline can cause some leaking as well, but I suspect you are either missing the dipstick tube seal or you wrecked the pan gasket upon install...
Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Ike27
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming its the original pan and dip stick tube:

Drain the transmission (I use a liquid vac) and drop the pan. Loosen the bolt that holds the dip stick tube. Make sure the tube and opening are clean and rnot deformed. Replace the O Ring, I also use Blue RTV to coat the O Ring. Place the tube into position making sure the O Ring seats. Tighten bracket that holds Dip Stick.

Check transmission pan edges to make sure they are square, clean and flush. Place the new gasket (I don't use rubber) over the bolt holds and place screws through to hold in place (No sealant).

Torque to correct settings and let the RTV set overnight.

Refill, drive and check the fluid level. Re torque bolts if needed.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:29 PM
jtl1567
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ike27

Drain the transmission (I use a liquid vac) and drop the pan. Loosen the bolt that holds the dip stick tube. Make sure the tube and opening are clean and rnot deformed. Replace the O Ring, I also use Blue RTV to coat the O Ring. Place the tube into position making sure the O Ring seats. Tighten bracket that holds Dip Stick.

Check transmission pan edges to make sure they are square, clean and flush. Place the new gasket (I don't use rubber) over the bolt holds and place screws through to hold in place (No sealant).

well now the transmission wont shift up. i put it in gear and it takes off but will not shift to the next gear. i have replaced the vacuum mod, checked the vacuum lines and i am getting good vacuum. could it be the governor gear?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:27 PM
jtl1567
Advanced

well i found the problem about the shifting. the hose connecting the vacuum mod is torn..
easy fix
Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
jtl1567
Advanced

well i had to leave for work for about a month when i got back the transmission fluid has completely leaked out! i checked the vacuum mod and the lines and they are fine. i replaced the pan and gasket and i used a cork gasket. i dont know what to do at this point. HELP PLEASE!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:36 PM
loquinho
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try Ike27's advice? I know it sucks having to drain and drop the pan after you just did repairs, but if the transmission is leaking, something is wrong and you need to find it. If it's the filler tube causing the leak, it sounds like Ike's solution will seal it up.

Originally Posted by Ike27

Also, photos are infinitely helpful is getting assistance on this forum. If the guys that know what they're doing can see exactly what's going on, the advice gets more focused and relevant. The forum tools to upload photos has gotten WAY easier than it was when I started on here.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

where is it leaking? you need to determine that first and foremost. clean the entire transmission and let it dry. put newspaper or cardboard down. blow/sprinkle talcum or baby powder all over the trans. let it sit for a day and observe exactly where the leaks originate.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM
suprkoop
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default maybe you didn't over tighten the pan, but someone else did at one time..

I always turn the pan upside down on a flat steel bench and make sure the bolt holes haven't been over tightened and pressed into a conical shape. You may have to tap them back to flat with a punch and small hammer on the steel bench.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 PM
jtl1567
Advanced

the main seals on the tranny where bad/not really even there. got that fixed. thanks for all your help!

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission leak!

Quick Reply: Transmission leak!