Sponsored by:

Vert top and tools adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Vert top and tools adventure!

I just ordered a Al Knock Stay Fast top for my car. I was going to have it done but everything else on my frame off resto-mod was done by me with the exception of the short block so I figured I would go for it even though I hear it is not easy.

Do I need any special tools and if so can anyone make a recommendation? Such as a stapler and staple length. And any other special tools.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

1. A couple of different length staples - when you do the front, there will be more "layers" so you will need a little longer ones for the "last" layer.

2. Pay particular attention to the rearmost upright bow! Make sure it ends up centered over the two approximately 1/2" long slits in the top (assuming yours has the slits).

3. After you have completely removed the old top, a few things to check before you start the new one:

- Make sure the last big bow (against the rear deck) is "straight" - (meaning no extraneous bends, etc.) and has the correct, even arc

- With the frame up and latched all around, now is the time to make sure your windows close correctly and tightly.

- I would recommend replacing the top weatherstripping also - it was easier with the top out of the way.

- The "Al Knoch Video" was a good help - but it is several orders into copies so it was pretty grainy!

I ended up with a little bit of wrinkling between the side and rear window (probably related to #2!) - not too bad, but I sure could do a lot better job if I had a do-over!!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

As posted above, adjust the top and the windows and install new weather stripping.
Use a good quality screen window spline tool to seat the vinyl tubing in the rear bow. Don't trim the top fabric flush with the top rear bow-fold it back on itself about an inch and trim at that point.
Corvettefever, rowleycorvetteand convertibletopguys all have papers on the net that you can download. Each has some good points that the others don't have.
Good luck-it seems a lot scarier than it really turns out to be.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:36 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I would send the Al Knoch top back and buy a Robbins top. I have installed many of my own tops and had several Knoch tops that were cut too short. They used to make good tops but in recent years they have got sloppy . I have never had a problem with Robbins tops. The specifications are right on.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by pws69
1. A couple of different length staples - when you do the front, there will be more "layers" so you will need a little longer ones for the "last" layer.

2. Pay particular attention to the rearmost upright bow! Make sure it ends up centered over the two approximately 1/2" long slits in the top (assuming yours has the slits).

3. After you have completely removed the old top, a few things to check before you start the new one:

- Make sure the last big bow (against the rear deck) is "straight" - (meaning no extraneous bends, etc.) and has the correct, even arc

- With the frame up and latched all around, now is the time to make sure your windows close correctly and tightly.

- I would recommend replacing the top weatherstripping also - it was easier with the top out of the way.

- The "Al Knoch Video" was a good help - but it is several orders into copies so it was pretty grainy!

I ended up with a little bit of wrinkling between the side and rear window (probably related to #2!) - not too bad, but I sure could do a lot better job if I had a do-over!!
Thanks much. As far as staples, what kind? All I have is a Arrow heavy duty stapler.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnb5101
As posted above, adjust the top and the windows and install new weather stripping.
Use a good quality screen window spline tool to seat the vinyl tubing in the rear bow. Don't trim the top fabric flush with the top rear bow-fold it back on itself about an inch and trim at that point.
Corvettefever, rowleycorvetteand convertibletopguys all have papers on the net that you can download. Each has some good points that the others don't have.
Thanks. I have all new weather striping and will make sute the frame and windows match up well before i start.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:51 PM
grumpy10956
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, what is a Robbins top ??
Old 05-26-2015, 08:53 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpy10956
hi, what is a Robbins top ??
Robbins Convertible Tops . Google it.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Along with the Al Knoch video, the tips from these articles were very helpful.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:27 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Maybe this summer I'll get my top on. thanks for posting the info. T
Old 05-28-2015, 09:01 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Any info on tools, specifically the type of stapler?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I used an old construction grade Arrow stapler that I've had for years.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 PM
AWilson
Drifting

I used an old construction grade Arrow stapler that I've had for years.
I got the video and that is what they use. I got one too so I guess i'm all set.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert top and tools adventure!

Quick Reply: Vert top and tools adventure!