(Formerly) Neglected 68 (Motion?) Found in Warehouse UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Default (Formerly) Neglected 68 (Motion?) Found in Warehouse UPDATE

Hi guys,

Some may recall a thread I posted a while back on a 68 my friend and I dragged out of a city warehouse. It was a real mess. My friend properly restored and reinstalled all the original parts as we found them. My friend (a one-man show 75 yr old ex-drag racer) is restoring it. He advised he had one heck of a time bringing the original modifications up to his standards. The frame an cage were SUPER.
I mentioned before, we did not believe the car came from Baldwin originally, and the original modifications are still being researched. The "story" was the work was done at Motion, and the car was purchased elsewhere near Baldwin. We did have good information the car was originally (one owner - orig owner now deceased) from Brooklyn. The NCRS Data Report confirmed the car was originally delivered in the Spring of 68 to Luby Chevrolet, (near Brooklyn).

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the progress. The paint has a little more polishing to go but the body drop is really soon. When we found the car it was white with a red stripe. Under that, he found it was maroon with a white stripe, so that's what we went back to. He found some nice 68 doors to put back on, as well as a different (orig) Motion hood. The one that came on the car appears to have been used on real Motion cars, but we decided we liked this one better. He doesn't really care if it is a "real" Motion car anyway. We just think it's a cool car. This is an AC car as well.

Thanks and stay safe, John

Last edited by avalonjohn; 05-27-2015 at 10:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (11-20-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

I was digin on the car until it turned into a 240 z.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:05 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 509 rat
Ok thanks. Yea I'm a purist myself but, actually, the front light kit is off a Jaguar.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 05-27-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I think its cool it's getting restored.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 05-28-2015, 05:54 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Hi guys,

Some may recall a thread I posted a while back on a 68 my friend and I dragged out of a city warehouse. It was a real mess. My friend properly restored and reinstalled all the original parts as we found them. My friend (a one-man show 75 yr old ex-drag racer) is restoring it. He advised he had one heck of a time bringing the original modifications up to his standards. The frame an cage were SUPER.
I mentioned before, we did not believe the car came from Baldwin originally, and the original modifications are still being researched. The "story" was the work was done at Motion, and the car was purchased elsewhere near Baldwin. We did have good information the car was originally (one owner - orig owner now deceased) from Brooklyn. The NCRS Data Report confirmed the car was originally delivered in the Spring of 68 to Luby Chevrolet, (near Brooklyn).

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the progress. The paint has a little more polishing to go but the body drop is really soon. When we found the car it was white with a red stripe. Under that, he found it was maroon with a white stripe, so that's what we went back to. He found some nice 68 doors to put back on, as well as a different (orig) Motion hood. The one that came on the car appears to have been used on real Motion cars, but we decided we liked this one better. He doesn't really care if it is a "real" Motion car anyway. We just think it's a cool car. This is an AC car as well.

Thanks and stay safe, John

John
Looks great I would like to come see it and get some measurements off the front headlights /
I have my frame off and re doing running gear.
Wes
Old 05-28-2015, 07:09 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

AJ - looking good. Thanks for the update and pics.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice work.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

AJ, Has Kevin McKay seen or heard of this car? He has a passion for just this type of find!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:02 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice attention to detail.
The color scheme suits the car well.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by War Bonnet

AJ, Has Kevin McKay seen or heard of this car? He has a passion for just this type of find!

Hi Bonnet, Do not know him. Feel free to pass the link on to him if you know him and you think he likes these cars. Thanks

Last edited by avalonjohn; 05-28-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Hi Bonnet, Do not know him. Feel free to pass the link on to him if you know him and thinks he likes these cars. Thanks
AJ my apologies I thought everyone knew of Kevin McKay I should have been more descriptive he is the "master" the owner of Corvette Repair and also the rebuilder of many racecars and Motion cars.

When Kevin talks people listen.....

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi aj,
That's quite a transformation!
An incredible amount of time, ability, and work showing in those pictures!
Your friend is a real craftsman!!!!
Regards,
Alan

Here's an example of what KMK's shop does in it's 'spare time'.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

An outstanding save of a '68 with some nifty pedigree. Love that you guys went back to the original paint scheme. Is it a black interior? Are you going to go with aluminum slots for the wheels?

And here's the dumb question...have either of you got in touch with Joel Rosen? I understand that he's a real pill to even talk with but figured it could be worth seeing if he recalls the car at all.

Later,

Lee
Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 509 rat

Right that is why I never liked the Phase cars...
This was done to further the euro look the then new 68 had, it stole styling from the 4RE Dino, and to add the datsun Lights took it a step further, just looks silly to me and I love modifacations.

Not sure why everyone wants they car to be a "Motion" car I have read as much bad as good about them.

They did make a lot of things popular and the parts on this car sure do look like they came from Motion, but in the day other parts houses sold the same parts people do that paint idea to this day, I know at least two places still selling the hood....so without receipts and paperwork it is another stunning custom....
Old 05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I love this car. keep the pics coming. I even like the headlights.

Get notified of new replies

To (Formerly) Neglected 68 (Motion?) Found in Warehouse UPDATE

Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The13Bats

Right that is why I never liked the Phase cars...
This was done to further the euro look the then new 68 had, it stole styling from the 4RE Dino, and to add the datsun Lights took it a step further, just looks silly to me and I love modifacations.

Not sure why everyone wants they car to be a "Motion" car I have read as much bad as good about them.

They did make a lot of things popular and the parts on this car sure do look like they came from Motion, but in the day other parts houses sold the same parts people do that paint idea to this day, I know at least two places still selling the hood....so without receipts and paperwork it is another stunning custom....
Thanks Bats. I have to clarify we are not trying to "make" it a Motion because we didnt really change anything that wasn't already changed years ago. All he did was restore what what we found. Sure, there are vendors selling the parts but I can tell you these parts were added a long long time ago. There were 2 layers of "Motion Style" paint, over the factory color. As you can tell the outer most layer of paint was pretty old and nasty.
We also know the car was shipped to and spent all of its "driving life" in the Brooklyn area as it only had one previous owner.
As for "good and bad" about Motion, if they did do the original mods, their bodywork leaves much to desired, by today's standards.

Bottom line is we really don't care if it came from Rosen's shop or not. There are no plans for the car, except an occasional cruise I suppose.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KYC4
An outstanding save of a '68 with some nifty pedigree. Love that you guys went back to the original paint scheme. Is it a black interior? Are you going to go with aluminum slots for the wheels?

And here's the dumb question...have either of you got in touch with Joel Rosen? I understand that he's a real pill to even talk with but figured it could be worth seeing if he recalls the car at all.

Later,

Lee
Hi Lee and thank you. Yes it has a black interior. I did speak with Rosen just out of curiosity. He actually viewed the original thread. Problem is we are just not too concerned with it being "real" and therfore not sure if it is worth the trip to meet with him. I have heard he has no real records anyway. Don't know. Seems like a nice guy though. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Lee and thank you. Yes it has a black interior. I did speak with Rosen just out of curiosity. He actually viewed the original thread. Problem is we are just not too concerned with it being "real" and therefore not sure if it is worth the trip to meet with him. I have heard he has no real records anyway. Don't know. Seems like a nice guy though. Thanks for the compliments.
Well that's cool that you did actually speak with him. And I'm not a 'Motion' fanatic or anything just like knowing the history of any car rare or otherwise. Motion vehicles are uncommon to say the least so anytime one pops up with a possible pedigree of that type it's kinda worth checking into IMHO. Rosen indeed has no records that I know of but has a steel-trap for a memory and knows what he did work on. Glad to hear that you had a pleasant talk with him. Nice to hear that.

Cool on the black interior. Really love that you all are keeping this one as a very nice driver to enjoy instead of a trailer queen.

Later,

Lee

Quick Reply: (Formerly) Neglected 68 (Motion?) Found in Warehouse UPDATE