johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth restoring this car?

1973 Convertable
L82, 4 spd, AC, Leather, PB, PS.
No Numbers matching
Original color was Mile Miglie Red

I just picked it up today. I think I got a good deal on the car. I am building an autocross car and didn't want to cut this one up if it was worth putting back to stock. The other one is a 73 T-top 4 spd with no options. Not even PS or PB.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Give your head a shake man....of course it's worth it!
I like the color it is though....
Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 AM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Give your head a shake man....of course it's worth it!
I like the color it is though....
Me too. The love the yellow, the stock red is a terrible color! I meant monetarily.

Last edited by johnmbod; 05-29-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by johnmbod
...worth putting back to stock...
Based on your pics, that car is essentially stock. You have to decide what you want to do with it.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-29-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

just my opinion but why would one want to cut up a convertible? Swing a cat in any direction and find a t-top car I'd go with the t-top car. that's my 2 cents. which is worth 1.5 cents really
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice car. Certainly worth restoring although the exterior looks fine as is. The interior needs some work. Any pics of the engine and frame?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm not sure what you would "cut up" to make that into an autocross car....

Most all suspension will bolt on unless you are trying to graft something from a different generation onto the C3. I can't imagine you would be taking it too far though because a convertible really isn't the ideal autocross or track car in the first place. So, unless you are welding in a full cage to stiffen the body, I'd say go for it and do what you want with this car. I would imagine most changes would be reversible if needed.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:34 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Not sure where you came up with red. The paint code of 953 is Metallic Yellow. If I recall correctly Metallic Yellow is more of a gold color than the current color on the car.

This is close to Metallic Yellow on a 73
Attached Images  

Last edited by emccomas; 05-29-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:22 PM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by emccomas
Not sure where you came up with red. The paint code of 953 is Metallic Yellow. If I recall correctly Metallic Yellow is more of a gold color than the current color on the car.

This is close to Metallic Yellow on a 73
The website I looked at must have been wrong.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by fleming23
I'm not sure what you would "cut up" to make that into an autocross car....

Most all suspension will bolt on unless you are trying to graft something from a different generation onto the C3. I can't imagine you would be taking it too far though because a convertible really isn't the ideal autocross or track car in the first place. So, unless you are welding in a full cage to stiffen the body, I'd say go for it and do what you want with this car. I would imagine most changes would be reversible if needed.
This is the car that I am going to "cut up". IE cage, VP&B full suspension and brakes, 600hp mowtown motors SBC.
What I was really trying to ask is, is this car rare enough to actually be worth some decent money someday?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmbod

This is the car that I am going to "cut up". IE cage, VP&B full suspension and brakes, 600hp mowtown motors SBC.
What I was really trying to ask is, is this car rare enough to actually be worth some decent money someday?
What's decent money? Still, the answer is no. It's a 73, a transition year. It lacks one of the two coveted metal bumpers so it will never be worth it's older siblings.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by overBlown
What's decent money? Still, the answer is no. It's a 73, a transition year. It lacks one of the two coveted metal bumpers so it will never be worth it's older siblings.
Never say never.

73s are interesting cars, and I think undervalued as well. They are also more refined in many ways than their older siblings.

Right now, all other things being equal, 68-72 cars bring more than 73s. I suspect that people will begin to realize how few really nice original 73s are left compared to the earlier C3s.

Am I positive about this. If I was, I would not be working for a living.

But I do see a day when the 73 market exceeds the 68-72 market in some areas, and for some cars.

I also expect that the same will be true for some 74s.

My crystal ball at work....
Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 PM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Never say never.

73s are interesting cars, and I think undervalued as well. They are also more refined in many ways than their older siblings.

Right now, all other things being equal, 68-72 cars bring more than 73s. I suspect that people will begin to realize how few really nice original 73s are left compared to the earlier C3s.

But I do see a day when the 73 market exceeds the 68-72 market in some areas, and for some cars.

I also expect that the same will be true for some 74s.

I hope so. I have always hoped the 73's would climb in value. '53 was the first year, '63 was the split window, '73 last of the bumper cars, and the '83 is priceless.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:43 PM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by paul 74
Nice car. Certainly worth restoring although the exterior looks fine as is. The interior needs some work. Any pics of the engine and frame?
Thank You. Don't have any of the engine and frame. They are unremarkable. The car was almost white when I brought it home yesterday. 6 hours with Ibiz cleaner and wax and.... Tada!
Old 05-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

What is your definition of restore? What does it need? Looks very nice from here. Why not drive it as is? If restored is what you want by all means do whatever makes you happy, if 73 is you're must have car go ahead and enjoy. If you are speaking from a financial point of view, whole nother ball game.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:00 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Never say never.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Originally Posted by jr73
Really not much of a stretch to see a 73 big block, vert, 4sp , options, originality, over a 68-72 with less of these

Last edited by Calo69; 05-29-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth restoring this car?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Calo69
Really not much of a stretch to see a 73 big block, vert, 4sp , options, originality, over a 68-72 with less of these
That's not what the OP has though. Perhaps I should have been more clear but I was more referring to his specif car. It looks to me to be a great driver. He didn't mention what he actually paid for it, just that it was a good deal. If that's the case, it still won't leave too much on the table for restoration beyond the basics and still turn a profit. Pure guess work though without knowing his cost.

I say just drive it and have fun!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Calo69
Drifting

That's not what the OP has though. Perhaps I should have been more clear but I was more referring to his specif car. It looks to me to be a great driver. He didn't mention what he actually paid for it, just that it was a good deal. If that's the case, it still won't leave too much on the table for restoration beyond the basics and still turn a profit. Pure guess work though without knowing his cost.

I agree, that's pretty much what I said in my first post. I was referring to the other posters that were talking about 73 vs 68-72 values.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:11 PM
johnmbod
Heel & Toe

$8k. It is a nice driver. It needs a top, the current one is functional but should be replaced. One of the headlight actuators has a giant leak. I slapped a 600 holley on it since the quadrajunk was ready for the trash bin. That's about all that is wrong with it.

Quick Reply: Is it worth restoring this car?