Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jason's 68 Coupe... Here We Go (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

On the bright side, your dismantled vette came with a pressure washer and a carpet cleaner. Nice!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I know, right? I'm still trying to figure out where they go. Can't find them in the AIM?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I got everything pretty much organized... or at least all in the same general area. I took 3 boxes of parts to the media blaster where I had the body done. Super nice and fair guy. As I was leaving he said, "Oh, hey... I'm doing powder coating now too. Want all this stuff powder coated?" I advised him I couldn't justify the extra cost. Long story short, he's doing all 40'ish parts for an extra $100. He just started doing it and wants to get "the word" out! Hope to have everything back this Friday. Today I finished up getting the interior insulation stuff in. Not real happy with the fit of the kit I bought from one of the vendors. Poor fit, lots of gaps, wrong cutouts... Oh well, I have extra GTMat to put here and there. I did the firewall with the GTMat as well. Couldn't really call and complain, I ordered it over two years ago!!! I also got a good start on the new wiring harnesses. It was fun working with clean stuff today!!! Also got the radiator support and front bracket stuff in. Enjoy the pics!!!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just reviewed my thread. I feel like I've done a lot more than I have. Not much has changed. Though I've been working on it almost everyday with the exception of a couple weeks out of town. Ran into pulley problems that had me putting parts on, taking them off, putting parts on, taking them off... kinda like The Karate Kid! Got that figured out and ordered the correct crank pulley. Ran into an issue of no provisions for the temperature sending unit. Got that handled for now in a round about way. I just have to be aware that it's measuring the water temp coming into the engine. At least that's something until I bite the bullet and change the intake manifold! Took some time to organize the garage and prep and paint some things that will be going on here in the near future. Also got the A/C condenser ready to put in. Had a local guy bend a new line for me. He did a great job! OH YEAH... now I know where a lot of my time went, I repainted my buddies C5 that got keyed!!! Enjoy the pictures.

Last edited by 13611; 09-06-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:04 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by 13611
Just reviewed my thread. I feel like I've done a lot more than I have. Not much has changed. Though I've been working on it almost everyday with the exception of a couple weeks out of town. Ran into pulley problems that had me putting parts on, taking them off, putting parts on, taking them off... kinda like The Karate Kid! Got that figured out and ordered the correct crank pulley. Ran into an issue of no provisions for the temperature sending unit. Got that handled for now in a round about way. I just have to be aware that it's measuring the water temp coming into the engine. At least that's something until I bite the bullet and change the intake manifold! Took some time to organize the garage and prep and paint some things that will be going on here in the near future. Also got the A/C condenser ready to put in. Had a local guy bend a new line for me. He did a great job! OH YEAH... now I know where a lot of my time went, I repainted my buddies C5 that got keyed!!! Enjoy the pictures.

WOW! Man you did a super job Jason on all your stuff and your buddies C5. Nice work!
ZIO
Old 09-08-2015, 02:47 PM
LSX_S10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for progress, I am liking this!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You doing awesome job fellow rebuilder, you might be slow but you don't seem to cut any corner at all and that's admirable.
I remember when putting my body on, someone post to be prepared to not see any noticeable progress for a while.
He was damn right, and I didn't even tried to make my work top notch or period correct.
So yeah, still long road ahead, but the quality of what you've done so far should be your ultimate motivator.
What really worked for me was to start many job a the same time, when one is more bother than fun, I switch to another one I find more entertaining of challenging at the time.
To each his own strategy, may the fire never leaves you, this car will be YOURS like any other cars will ever be.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:45 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

"You must be standing too close to the car!"

I see plenty of progress from here/follow the "Hour a Day Rule"

Old 09-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by doorgunner
"You must be standing too close to the car!"

I see plenty of progress from here/follow the "Hour a Day Rule"

You're goddam right, let's blame the painkillers shall we?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Dude!!! I don't know how I missed this thread. Daym, that is a beautiful chasis. I love your progress, top notch work. Great work. You must made my personal short list of projects I will aspire to be like.

So hows your to do list coming along?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny you should ask about my "list"... I was just looking at it:

Hey, and while I have some attention from the forum, can anyone tell me if an early 68 coupe, p/s, a/c, p/b, p/w, a/t, 327/300 has such a thing as a telescoping only steering column? I went to start going through it today and it slides in and out but won't hold any given position with a lock type movement? No tilt though...

Old 09-10-2015, 12:57 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I got everything pretty much organized... or at least all in the same general area. I took 3 boxes of parts to the media blaster where I had the body done. Super nice and fair guy. As I was leaving he said, "Oh, hey... I'm doing powder coating now too. Want all this stuff powder coated?" I advised him I couldn't justify the extra cost. Long story short, he's doing all 40'ish parts for an extra $100. He just started doing it and wants to get "the word" out! Hope to have everything back this Friday. Today I finished up getting the interior insulation stuff in. Not real happy with the fit of the kit I bought from one of the vendors. Poor fit, lots of gaps, wrong cutouts... Oh well, I have extra GTMat to put here and there. I did the firewall with the GTMat as well. Couldn't really call and complain, I ordered it over two years ago!!! I also got a good start on the new wiring harnesses. It was fun working with clean stuff today!!! Also got the radiator support and front bracket stuff in. Enjoy the pics!!!

Do you know what media the blaster used on your car body? Your project looks great by he way!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Widowmaker! He used crushed walnut shells. He was very familiar with fiberglass... That's just as important. You don't want somebody going too far when they blast it.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Widowmaker! He used crushed walnut shells. He was very familiar with fiberglass... That's just as important. You don't want somebody going too far when they blast it.
I was just curious because I was talking to a friend who I want to paint my car in a few years and he said he would use walnut shells as well so this makes me feel more comfortable with him stripping it by blasting. Thanks again! Jay
Old 10-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Been a while since I've updated this thread so here's a rundown of what has (and hasn't) happened. I rebuilt the steering column, complete with new upper and lower bearings. I rebuilt the inner heater box and got that installed. Got everything mounted on the front of the engine. Radiator hoses and belts on. Got all the fluids but the coolant in (still need to do heater hoses). Some A/C stuff buttoned up. Cleaned up a 47 year old A/C muffler the best I could. Got the starter in and the trans dust shield on. Not a whole lot to report, because it takes me a while to do things seeing how I wind up doing them 3 or 4 times. Here's some evidence of the progress... enjoy the pictures!!!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:39 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Sharp!!
Old 10-25-2015, 01:02 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

You're doing awesome work Jason. Those red steering column parts look flawless.

Get notified of new replies

To Jason's 68 Coupe... Here We Go (Again)

Old 10-25-2015, 06:08 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Jasons vette

Boy Jason, some really nice work and great finishes on all the parts. I know that it does take some time to get the right look. To me that's important and I love all the contrasting colors showing attention to details. Beautiful job!!!
ZIO
Old 10-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks gentlemen! Now off to the garage!!!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:52 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Funny you should ask about my "list"... I was just looking at it:

Hey, and while I have some attention from the forum, can anyone tell me if an early 68 coupe, p/s, a/c, p/b, p/w, a/t, 327/300 has such a thing as a telescoping only steering column? I went to start going through it today and it slides in and out but won't hold any given position with a lock type movement? No tilt though...

I'm sure you know by now but yes the column is telescope only.

Quick Reply: Jason's 68 Coupe... Here We Go (Again)