Sponsored by:

Question about the AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Question about the AC compressor

I just got my AC working on my 78. We put a new compressor and dryer on after the old compressor seized.
Question:
After the ac has been on for a while and the inside of the car is cool, should the compressor disengage if I move the temp control to the right (warmer). Mine does not seem to.
I know on some cars the compressor cycles to maintain temp and others use a bypass around the expansion valve to maintain temp.
Does anyone know for sure how this one works?

Also, if the system is overcharged a little, will it create a bigger load for the compressor?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2015, 04:23 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich123
I just got my AC working on my 78. We put a new compressor and dryer on after the old compressor seized.
Question:
After the ac has been on for a while and the inside of the car is cool, should the compressor disengage if I move the temp control to the right (warmer). Mine does not seem to.
I know on some cars the compressor cycles to maintain temp and others use a bypass around the expansion valve to maintain temp.
Does anyone know for sure how this one works?

Also, if the system is overcharged a little, will it create a bigger load for the compressor?

Thanks

It continually spins.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
It continually spins.
Does that mean the clutch is continuously engaged if the control is set to AC?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Took it out for the weekend up in the mountains. I have disconnected the lines to the heater so that there is not any heat coming in AT ALL.

The AC works great, but when I moved the control to the right it did not reduce the cooling. The air coming from the vents stayed very cold.
I would have assumed that this car would have some kind of sensor to detect that we were freezing in the car or that the temp control was try to communicate that we had enough ice cubes already and would automatically backed off the cooling. Is that a bad assumption? Is the only regulation device going to be my right hand to shut it off for a while?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Encore00
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took it out for the weekend up in the mountains. I have disconnected the lines to the heater so that there is not any heat coming in AT ALL.

The AC works great, but when I moved the control to the right it did not reduce the cooling. The air coming from the vents stayed very cold.
I would have assumed that this car would have some kind of sensor to detect that we were freezing in the car or that the temp control was try to communicate that we had enough ice cubes already and would automatically backed off the cooling. Is that a bad assumption? Is the only regulation device going to be my right hand to shut it off for a while?
Hey Rich,
that doesn't sound right. I don't know much about the system but my 81 toggles the compressor clutch to regulate temp.

Encore
Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe there is the a/c pressure switch on the right fender that shuts the compressor down when the freon gets low and there is a compressor control switch on the plenum that senses the evaporator temperature to cycle the compressor. At some point, someone may have unplugged it and put a jumper in to make the compressor run all the time.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Originally Posted by 76vette1
I believe there is the a/c pressure switch on the right fender that shuts the compressor down when the freon gets low and there is a compressor control switch on the plenum that senses the evaporator temperature to cycle the compressor. At some point, someone may have unplugged it and put a jumper in to make the compressor run all the time.
Thanks, I'll look for those. Something unplugged on this car is not uncommon
Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

2 things I would venture.

I think you have a CCOT, cycling clutch orifice tube, which means it should cycle the compressor clutch.

I also think you have a "reheat" system, meaning, unless you are on Max cold, the air also goes through the heater core, warming it up a bit before putting it into the cabin. If the water valve is off, you will be on "MAX" at all times for cold air.
You should have a low pressure cut out switch, that shuts the system down if the pressure is too low, and a thermostatic switch, which I believe is what cycles the compressor, clamped to the evaporator line.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by vbgod1
...I also think you have a "reheat" system, meaning, unless you are on Max cold, the air also goes through the heater core, warming it up a bit before putting it into the cabin...
Yep. Disconnecting the heater hoses means the AC air cannot be warmed up.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Rich123
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbgod1
I also think you have a "reheat" system, meaning, unless you are on Max cold, the air also goes through the heater core, warming it up a bit before putting it into the cabin. If the water valve is off, you will be on "MAX" at all times for cold air.
You should have a low pressure cut out switch, that shuts the system down if the pressure is too low, and a thermostatic switch, which I believe is what cycles the compressor, clamped to the evaporator line.
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Yep. Disconnecting the heater hoses means the AC air cannot be warmed up.
So, if I connect the heater hose up that might make the compressor cycle?
I looked and there is something on the AC low side line. It has wires attached to it. One of them is the same color as the compressor wire. This looks like a good place to start.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Yes, the a/c will always be at its max cold with the heater disconnected as the temp control adds warm air as it is moved to the warmer positions with the heater connected.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 06-23-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Rich123
Instructor

So, if I connect the heater hose up that might make the compressor cycle?
I looked and there is something on the AC low side line. It has wires attached to it. One of them is the same color as the compressor wire. This looks like a good place to start.
Thanks
My mistake, the "something" (I guess a sensor) is on the high side line. It's after the coils up front and before the coils inside the car.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't think it will make the compressor "cycle", but should warm the incoming air a bit.
I think the thermostatic switch is what causes cycling (from memory, no literature here this late).

Get notified of new replies

To Question about the AC compressor

Quick Reply: Question about the AC compressor