Sponsored by:

68 hood insulation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default 68 hood insulation???

I have got a few bubbles across my 68 hood close to the middle and usually I would think that is due to a/c oil from the compressor. However, my 68 does not have a/c. Others have guessed the paint bubbles might be due to engine heat?? Or maybe this is a replacement hood from an a/c Corvette?? who knows?

Anyway, I am thinking I should add some hood insulation and my 68 AIM on page UPC 11-13 A.6 shows a full under hood insulation.

However, from a Corvette vendor search and search here plus NCRS judging book, no hood insulation on 68. Although there was a small piece of insulation on some early 69's above the radiator.

So, I am not worried about judging this 68, although I do like original appearance. Should I just go ahead and install a 76+ piece of insulation and cut to fit or I am wasting my time and engine heat really does not affect hood paint??? Also, is there any safety benefit from having insulation if you ever had an engine fire??

Much thanks!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I bet it's not engine heat. More then likely it from the hood being open on sunny days.

The sun reflects off the air cleaner and cooks a section of the hood. Remember burning ants with a magnifying glass?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I think that the AIM shows that page marked cancelled. Lou.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:48 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury
I have got a few bubbles across my 68 hood close to the middle and usually I would think that is due to a/c oil from the compressor.
Any problem with a/c compressor oil would be on the right/front side of the hood. I don't think you'd see a problem in the middle.

For my 68 repaint, all the paint was stripped off of the car. It was sanded/scrapped off. to bare fiberglass. There was was an area on the hood where the fiberglass was damaged. The damage was attributed to engine heat and/or oil contamination. Anyhow, this area was ground out and re-fiberglassed.

My 69 experienced extensive body work...even though the body looked perfect. There were micro-cracks around the wheel wells, around the body at the hood , and on the hood itself. The entire rear exhaust valance panel was oil soaked...even though the paint looked ok, once the paint was stripped off..it couldn't be repainted due to oil impregnation. All the micro-cracks were ground out, splotted with fiberglass/resin......looked awful, and the body shop ground out and sanded these splotes to original looking body work...real artistry.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Thanks!

Much thanks for the responses!

Who knows what caused the bubbles, think I will pass on the insulation and worry about the paint repair later if I ever repaint.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 hood insulation???

Quick Reply: 68 hood insulation???