Sponsored by:

Question for.......... DUB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:10 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Question for.......... DUB?

I am doing a frame off on a 1976 corvette. I will need to put in new floor pans. Should I put them in before I pull it off the frame or after?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroket
I am doing a frame off on a 1976 corvette. I will need to put in new floor pans. Should I put them in before I pull it off the frame or after?
I prefer to get them in when the body is still on the frame. I have done so many....and on some of these Corvettes...they have been modified with different tubular transmission cross members. I needed to get them in and tack welded very well due to clearance issues.

Trying to put floor pans in when the body is on a fixture that will secure the #2 and #3 body mount areas of the 'birdcage'. It is possible that the floor pan can drop down a bit further and 'possibly' cause an issue when you set the body back on. UNLESS good measurements are taken. But I prefer to not take the chance.

I am sure that you are more than likely welding these in place instead of using 'metal to metal' body adhesive like is used on current cars of today. You are more than likely lapping the steel...and if you do... I advise you in prepping the steel that is BETWEEN the two pieces with an aerosol 'Weld-Thru Coating'. SEM and 3M sells some good stuff .

Then I use the SEM seam sealer on the seam on the underside and make sure it is sealed up so NO WATER can get in your seam. OBVIOUSLY the metal in this area needs to be prepped accordingly so the seam sealer will work and adhere correctly. When I get done...you REALLY have to hunt for the seam.

DUB
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

DUB,

Thank you Sir. I appreciate your advice and will do it like you said.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for.......... DUB?

Quick Reply: Question for.......... DUB?