Sponsored by:

New ? for the Forum Experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New ? for the Forum Experts

Gotta question for the C3 Forum Experts..

I just finished getting my whole 78 windshield wiper/washer system
back to working order and even the washers send fluid to the windshield...My question is since the wiper blades force the excess washer fluid down below the windshield into the area where the wiper motor head and linkages for the arms reside the fluid is collecting there and does not appear to have a place to drain....Am I missing something or is it possible that there is a hidden drain that might be hidden?

I just cannot fathom that GM made no drain for the fluid..

In advance..Thanks for all of your help, tips and anything else that might help..

mk's78 Mike
Old 07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The wiper trough drains on each end under the fender tops. You will probably see two screens there which are supposed to prevent big items from falling down in to the Black Holes. At the bottom of each Black Hole there is a drain as part of the bird cage where the fenders bond to the cowl.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:15 PM
mk's78
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The wiper trough drains on each end under the fender tops. You will probably see two screens there which are supposed to prevent big items from falling down in to the Black Holes. At the bottom of each Black Hole there is a drain as part of the bird cage where the fenders bond to the cowl.
Alrighty then Easy Mike,

I'll take a look as soon as I can get into the garage....Would it be wise to try and remove the screens and gently push something through to make sure the drains are open?? Can you suggest something to use?

mk's78

Mike
Old 07-01-2015, 05:54 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by mk's78
Would it be wise to try and remove the screens and gently push something through to make sure the drains are open?? Can you suggest something to use?
Stand next to the car, and pour a glass of water in there. If your shoes don`t get wet, you have a blockage!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Here is what that black hole devils triangle of the vette world looks like sans fender,
this is my 69

Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

PERFECT shot Bats! Mike..... at the very bottom of the plenum area you see a little notch.... that`s where it should be pouring out onto your shoes! That notch is usually hidden by the rocker trim. If you look up under the rocker trim just behind the wheel well, you should see it.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Just to the right of the kick panel vent is where my (formerly) favorite 6" 3/8 drive extension is now located on my 68.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Here is a non a/c '78 for comparison purposes.

I made up a 1" or so flexible extension and taped it to the shop vac hose and fished it down as far as I could, then put some 3/8 hose on the end of my air gun and blew compressed air down there to loosen up any leaves or junk that accumulates. I do this every couple of years or so.

Should be able to rig up something and attach it to a shop vac and shove it through the fresh air vent opening. Might be harder with a a/c car, the vents are slightly different.

Dodosmike
Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Isn't there "originally" a screen on the two sides to keep things from falling down into the abyss?? Obviously, mine were removed at some point as I found all kind of crap down there. I covered the opening as I would get some water in from the vent for what ever reason.

Get notified of new replies

To New ? for the Forum Experts

Quick Reply: New ? for the Forum Experts