Sponsored by:

Finally have money for build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally have money for build

Its been a while, but ive finally got some decent money to do a build, its took an eternity. Finally, its about time to start my projects one at a time. Heres where im at im about to put into the vette what i could buy a new car for in the end a little bit at a time, so im debating a new daily driver and vette just for fun. Or turn my vette into the biggest beast on the road.
While vette will be out of commision i still have Cadillac. So heres plan for the vette.
First new (or used but nice condition) engine, tranny, flywheel, rear end all of it,
I think i want to custom build a 383. I know people around my town that build race cars , one of them has been a good friend for my whole life, he build his race cars our of chevy parts so he has alot he can give me deals on and help me with the project to get done both far faster than i could alone , and for much less than a shop would do for me.
After that, and new heads, cam, pistons, and so fourth, then my exhaust will be my current exhaust plus two side pipes i have on switch to turn on all three during car shows and drag strip but only have rear exhaust on in town. we then move to the enterior, rear window louver, already installed led running lights, tint windows, have off road tires (I know rough ride but they look nice plus I have other tires i use at drag strip) last if anyone has ever seen the mustang on fast and loud you will understand, i want to put lights on top of car on the top that remains when the ttops come off.
Last we move to interior, this will be super pricy too. Recaro seats, custom dash and consol my buddies will build me, for a great price (still expensive) then new gauges , keeping my current bluetooth radio and speaker set up I installed. I know half of you will hate this half will love it. Its my car this what i want. Let me here your feed back and tips anyway, I think if i really watched it i could keep build under 20 but knowing things never work out hoping to stay under 30. Build would be more expensive if I didnt have connections for almost every part if build. I probably will do this over time instead of all at once.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by FlippinCorvette
Its been a while, but ive finally got some decent money to do a build, its took an eternity. Finally, its about time to start my projects one at a time. Heres where im at im about to put into the vette what i could buy a new car for in the end a little bit at a time, so im debating a new daily driver and vette just for fun. Or turn my vette into the biggest beast on the road.
While vette will be out of commision i still have Cadillac. So heres plan for the vette.
First new (or used but nice condition) engine, tranny, flywheel, rear end all of it,
I think i want to custom build a 383. I know people around my town that build race cars , one of them has been a good friend for my whole life, he build his race cars our of chevy parts so he has alot he can give me deals on and help me with the project to get done both far faster than i could alone , and for much less than a shop would do for me.
After that, and new heads, cam, pistons, and so fourth, then my exhaust will be my current exhaust plus two side pipes i have on switch to turn on all three during car shows and drag strip but only have rear exhaust on in town. we then move to the enterior, rear window louver, already installed led running lights, tint windows, have off road tires (I know rough ride but they look nice plus I have other tires i use at drag strip) last if anyone has ever seen the mustang on fast and loud you will understand, i want to put lights on top of car on the top that remains when the ttops come off.
Last we move to interior, this will be super pricy too. Recaro seats, custom dash and consol my buddies will build me, for a great price (still expensive) then new gauges , keeping my current bluetooth radio and speaker set up I installed. I know half of you will hate this half will love it. Its my car this what i want. Let me here your feed back and tips anyway, I think if i really watched it i could keep build under 20 but knowing things never work out hoping to stay under 30. Build would be more expensive if I didnt have connections for almost every part if build. I probably will do this over time instead of all at once.
I think if I was going to start a project C3 from scratch, I would consider dropping in an LS1 and 6 speed out of a late Camaro. Prices have really come down, and in the long run, would be cheaper and more reliable than building a stroker small block. I would go as far as installing a plug and play intake, so I could run a carburetor. Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
I think if I was going to start a project C3 from scratch, I would consider dropping in an LS1 and 6 speed out of a late Camaro. Prices have really come down, and in the long run, would be cheaper and more reliable than building a stroker small block. I would go as far as installing a plug and play intake, so I could run a carburetor. Just a thought.
Ive thought long and hard about both, the problem with the camaro engine is you actually have to have more skill and knowhow to install it than i do. However if i did, I would probably go a fuel injection route instead of a carb. Altho that would make a couple thousand dollar more expensive project. My main concern, with the right parts, could I make the ls1 as big and bad as a 383 small block??
Old 07-06-2015, 10:37 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Ive thought long and hard about both, the problem with the camaro engine is you actually have to have more skill and knowhow to install it than i do. However if i did, I would probably go a fuel injection route instead of a carb. Altho that would make a couple thousand dollar more expensive project. My main concern, with the right parts, could I make the ls1 as big and bad as a 383 small block??
The price for an LS3 is pretty good now. There was an article in Vette Magazine in how to make the engine more powerful and reliable and they got good power with minimal changes. The have the parts for a C3 as well.

Last edited by JimLentz; 07-06-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would take my budget and do a lot of research before deciding what to do.
Building a 383 might be more expensive compared to a new crate 383. You may be able to build cheaper, but it will take time and probably good prices on used parts.

The LS definitely would take more mechanical skill, but could also be done much more reasonably with used parts, but again time to gather all the parts. It will take a lot more parts to make everything work than the 383 will. With the right parts, you could build a 6.0 truck engine that would more than hold its own with the 383.

If you rely on paying someone to do most of the work, that will be a large part of the budget. General things, like engine and trans work, can be done by most any decent mechanic. If you get into rear end and suspension work, you may need a C3 experienced shop. Whomever you choose, make sure they are good, and get clear expectations set up before you start.
Good Luck
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Your post is very detailed! thank you everyone for all the imput do far, now im rethinking what to drop in the car. I want max bang cheap as i can go. If the ls ends up being the way I go ill end up probably having to let somone else do the computer part of the install for sure. Would it be cheaper for a new 383 crate or for a built up ls to match or pass. Please give me imput while i research. In mean time I may start other parts of long build such as recaro seats and window louvers. Also I hate the two mainstream louvers I find every once in a while i see a cool rare one. Anyone have an idea where I can get my hands on one???
Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Your post is very detailed! thank you everyone for all the imput do far, now im rethinking what to drop in the car. I want max bang cheap as i can go. If the ls ends up being the way I go ill end up probably having to let somone else do the computer part of the install for sure. Would it be cheaper for a new 383 crate or for a built up ls to match or pass. Please give me imput while i research. In mean time I may start other parts of long build such as recaro seats and window louvers. Also I hate the two mainstream louvers I find every once in a while i see a cool rare one. Anyone have an idea where I can get my hands on one???
My guess is you would pay less for a 383 crate motor unless you find someone that bought an LS and needs to sell it cheap. Where do you live? If it is near me I could help with a computer install.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Well, I had a shop take my 72's original 350 block and bore and stroke it, installed a forged rotating assy, retrofit comp cams roller cam. New aluminum heads. From new oil pan to new intake, $5k.
I happen to have a 2014 SS Camaro with the 6 spd manual trans. 426 hp. Just an FYI, Many people don't know this but the auto trans cars also have a 6.2 engine, they have a lower profile cam and cylinder deactivation, only 400 hp.

Anyhow, had I to do it over again, I may have just gone with the new LS engine. The rebuilt 383 looks period correct, which is why I did it. The power is very good, supposedly 435 hp. Sounds gnarly as all hell with the cam I have in it. So why would I go with an LS 3?
It is a very smooth and efficient engine and really runs strong. It takes very little work to make these engines into monsters.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Well, I had a shop take my 72's original 350 block and bore and stroke it, installed a forged rotating assy, retrofit comp cams roller cam. New aluminum heads. From new oil pan to new intake, $5k.
I happen to have a 2014 SS Camaro with the 6 spd manual trans. 426 hp. Just an FYI, Many people don't know this but the auto trans cars also have a 6.2 engine, they have a lower profile cam and cylinder deactivation, only 400 hp.

Anyhow, had I to do it over again, I may have just gone with the new LS engine. The rebuilt 383 looks period correct, which is why I did it. The power is very good, supposedly 435 hp. Sounds gnarly as all hell with the cam I have in it. So why would I go with an LS 3?
It is a very smooth and efficient engine and really runs strong. It takes very little work to make these engines into monsters.
So you regret not putting an ls in it??
Old 07-10-2015, 09:19 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

My other option im considering in all this is buying a new Dodge Charger Rt
Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

big block
Old 07-12-2015, 11:20 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Would a 454 big block alluminumed parts inside to lighten weight be good??
Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I was looking on craigslist and complete running and driving 1998-2002 z28 's are going for $4k to $6k. Even with 100k + miles, these motors are solid and bulletproof. You could take out the drivetrain and anything else you could use, and part out the rest and get most of your money back. And you'd be getting a modern, aluminum block, roller cam, fuel injected engine and a sweet t56 six speed with a .50 overdrive 6th. Put some C5 plastic covers on it and you'll impress anyone when you open the hood.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:46 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

That is a genious idea!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Default Spent money

Thank you everyone. I finally decided to temporarily invest money elsewhere instead of the vette. Ill keep it and someday put money into it. But for now I bought a new camaro
Bought about two months ago. Thanks everyone for everything. Ill still post vette questions but not as regularly now. Got some cool pics of the cars together

Get notified of new replies

To Finally have money for build

Quick Reply: Finally have money for build