Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guldstrand motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:58 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

4 bags of salted peanuts is a good bargain. I'd have thought they'd go for at least 4 bags of sweet Georgia pecans.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Hey TCracingCA, any interest in selling the bump steer blocks?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I never cared for the Guldstrand trailing arm bushings they wear and get loose, I liked (and installed) the Global West/Herb Adams style spherical bearing set-up much better, as to bump steer blocks, I was at the Vintage races at Road America on Friday and saw a bunch of cars that used a rod end (heim joint) as an outer tie rod with a piece of tubing between the rod end and the steering arm, it looks scary but I guess that way you get to dial your bump steer down to zero, I suppose they are all using a high quality (read expensive) rod end.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Hey TCracingCA, any interest in selling the bump steer blocks?

I have an unfinished set available, the hole is there but the taper needs to be reamed for the tie rod...send a PM
Old 07-19-2015, 01:45 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

So, how do you guys feel Johnny Joints stack up as a C2/C3 TA solution?
Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
So, how do you guys feel Johnny Joints stack up as a C2/C3 TA solution?

those are poly right? I am not a fan of poly anything
Old 07-19-2015, 03:57 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

I should have qualified my query as pertaining to the weekend warrior / street machine application. (Please don't take this as my being snarky by saying so, but I've done enough "real" racing to know without asking that poly isn't the material of choice in a dedicated racecar.)

Anyway, the Johnny Joints apparently do utilize a high-density polyurethane bushing around an inner ball. Nevertheless, my thought has been since the Johnnies are designed to operate in 3Ds that they're a somewhat better option than the single-axis poly bushes so prevalent on the market. What I guess I'm really asking here is, in consideration of the serious yet still road-going C2/C3, where in your opinions (which I do value) on a scale of 1 to 10* the Johnnies should fall relative to other options such as the Teflon lined bearings available in the Global West TAs. Thoughts?

* Guldstrand's performance index categories from back in the day were as follows: 1-4 = Grand Touring, 3-8 = Slalom, 7-10 = Racing, with their own sphericals ranked at 8-10.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-19-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-19-2015, 04:05 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

history of the Heim joint, read all about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_end_bearing
Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Deconstructed Johnny, in case seeing one like this helps...

Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

It just hit me that there won't be anymore Guldstrand 5-bar link bits being made, the uprights being the difficult piece.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:13 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
So i will actually change what I was calling all of this stuff! But here is the Johnny joint also

and what i call wobble stops! But the crucial part is still metal to metal! But you can see the two differing styles of lubrication! Yours a zerk thru the body which is tricky because you have to drill thru the arm and in the picture i showed, you can see the lube channeled bolt!

And here is what I have been calling a uniball or monoball!

And this is what like Global west was marketing, but there are now modern ones that have a sweet retention systems! i should probably try to find the Global west Unit/install instructions. And then find the hybrids that have been coming on the market. i am seeing all kinds of variations on these designs now! More so than when i last looked into this stuff.

For clarification, my rear Corvette suspensions are rod ended Heim/Spherical units!

ding ding ding, there is a bit more to it but we have a winner.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

I don`t know about all the small stuff but the 5-link known as the Guldstrand 5-link was designed by Bob Riley and originally sold by RPF (Riley, Protofab, Foltz), I have an original RPF manual (loose leaf papers actually)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Driver196999
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Jongbloeds Sold to Australia! darn, but thanks! Cool stuff like the Revolutions Racing rims you have for sale, it is getting hard to find that kind of stuff. Very interesting racing modular rims, but I am going to get some extra rim halves turned out for my Jongbloed set. Much appreciated for the reply back!
Anyone know where to get Jongbloed wheel halves spun/made? Jongbloed doesn't want to do them for 16in old style rims anymore. I have an old c3 transam car (Paul Depirros old car) and I want to widen my jongbloeds.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:10 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Hi, I hadn't called them yet, but your reply worries me!

Originally Posted by Driver196999
Anyone know where to get Jongbloed wheel halves spun/made? Jongbloed doesn't want to do them for 16in old style rims anymore. I have an old c3 transam car (Paul Depirros old car) and I want to widen my jongbloeds.
I had truck sized fronts on my C2, so I actually was going to send one of my halves from my backs and get duplicates made to actually narrow the front track. They are 15" diameter.

Now the two brothers broke up and one went to I think Minnesota and the other went to Northern California. The brother back east uses the old Logo and I thought had the rights to the old patterns and has offerings that are evolutions of the old vintage styles is who I assume you contacted. The other brother still in California doesn't have the fancy website, but the last time I looked, he still had offerings in the 15, 16 diameter of other rim types, but showed no pictures. I would have to look up the site again.

So now I wonder how hard it will be to find someone to do this for us, if the second brother doesn't. I realistically just have not made any calls yet and wasn't till I was ready to pay for this to be done.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-16-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:59 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You guys should post some pictures of those race cars you have, I would love to see them!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Driver196999
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had truck sized fronts on my C2, so I actually was going to send one of my halves from my backs and get duplicates made to actually narrow the front track. They are 15" diameter.

Now the two brothers broke up and one went to I think Minnesota and the other went to Northern California. The brother back east uses the old Logo and I thought had the rights to the old patterns and has offerings that are evolutions of the old vintage styles is who I assume you contacted. The other brother still in California doesn't have the fancy website, but the last time I looked, he still had offerings in the 15, 16 diameter of other rim types, but showed no pictures. I would have to look up the site again.

So now I wonder how hard it will be to find someone to do this for us, if the second brother doesn't. I realistically just have not made any calls yet and wasn't till I was ready to pay for this to be done.

Let me know, email me at dekas@amcapla.com, I won't leave this up for long!
Thanks for the response. I found a company called wheelflip.com who is willing to do it but i might be better off buying new wheels for the price they want. I want inners and outters which is going to add up. I going to try Jongbloed again to see if they are willing to do something. The owner saw my car at the Monterey Reunion this year and we chatted for a bit so maybe i can put something together. The guy I met was from Morgan Hill, CA.

Wish Guldstrand parts was still around as i want to buy some offset upper control arm bushings. When I actually got a hold of someone their a few months ago they told me the machinist who was doing them past away and they were looking for a new machinist to give the tooling too.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Driver196999

Wish Guldstrand parts was still around as i want to buy some offset upper control arm bushings.

you might consider offset shafts, I have a guy who might make you some straight bushings with bronze inserts if you can find the offset shafts. straight bushings w/offset shafts on my #1 below

Get notified of new replies

To Guldstrand motorsports

Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by esierra

I know he canceled the last GRA meeting get together dinner due to his wife being ill.
He died yesterday!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

I am seriously saddened by this news.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by seevi
He died yesterday!
Terrible news. I've had dealings with Guildstrand since the late 1970's. He personally drove my 1968 to check out the suspension and other works done about 5 years ago. In the late 1970's I was having problems with a used 1969 Corvette I had bought...when I pressed on the brake pedal hard the car turned to the left. Guildstrand took the car on an abandoned part of the Marina Del Rey Freeway, ran it up to 80 mph, and slammed on the brakes...yep..the car turned to the left. Guildstrand diagnosed a bent frame and a bent transverse spring.

When I brought my 68 to his shop for wheel alignment, after having rebuilt the entire car, when I mentioned that I had done all he work on my 68 by myself, Guildstrand offered me a job to work in his shop!! Of course I was pleased, but Guildstrand was an ultimate offeror of compliments. Although I've done a lot of C3 refurbishments, there's no way I could work commercially..I'm much too slow...

Guildstrand's labor rate was $100 an hour when I took my my car there. The mechanic who was in charge of my car was also a FAA (air craft) licensed mechanic. They performed very significant improvements to my 1968. The labor bill was $3600! I was happy to pay their bill!!!

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 09-03-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Guldstrand motorsports