C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All these leaks. So many leaks. Driving me MAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default All these leaks. So many leaks. Driving me MAD!

I spent all winter installing my new 468. After some trouble, I finally have it dialed in and running fine.

Thats when the leaks started.

First, it was an innocuous drop of oil....then a drip of coolant....then a fluid that seemed to come from my power steering area.....

All of the leaks are small. Just enough that I have to crawl up under the fenders and suspension with a flashlight and mirror and stick my head up the neither regions of my Corvette.

Now I know, to many of you, this is just a nuance. Considered that Big Blocks 'mark their territory' by leaking the way a Alpha dog pees on your mail box.

Well, it DRIVES ME MAD! I get crazy paranoid that the coolant leak is going to burst open at any minute and leave me stranded...hot coolant now being chemically bonded and eroding every freshly painted surface on my engine. Im afraid that the oil leak is going to saturate the entire bottom side of my car, causing further undercarriage exploration impossible.

Am I the ONLY one who has an incurable OCD to track down and repair ANY leak, no matter of its significance, if for nothing other than cosmetics????

I hate having this Corvette sickness.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:13 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

i have a big block, and it doesnt leak a drop, not even a seep.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

my 454 doesn't leak..in 35 years never heard that before that bb's mark their turf....I have had my biker buds say harleys mark their turf...mine didnt, I have heard my vw friends say vw's mark their turf mine didnt,
I believe that "mark their turf" is just an cute excuse for leaks....
Old 07-07-2015, 01:45 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Go back and try tightening everything valve cover,oil pan,water pump,hose clamp everything you can think of. Like you said it is a new engine. The heating up and cooling down from the engine will calls with nuts and bolts to be loose.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 AM
lowes-yellow77
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default OCD with leaks

Originally Posted by Scottd
I spent all winter installing my new 468. After some trouble, I finally have it dialed in and running fine.

Thats when the leaks started.

First, it was an innocuous drop of oil....then a drip of coolant....then a fluid that seemed to come from my power steering area.....

All of the leaks are small. Just enough that I have to crawl up under the fenders and suspension with a flashlight and mirror and stick my head up the neither regions of my Corvette.

Now I know, to many of you, this is just a nuance. Considered that Big Blocks 'mark their territory' by leaking the way a Alpha dog pees on your mail box.

Well, it DRIVES ME MAD! I get crazy paranoid that the coolant leak is going to burst open at any minute and leave me stranded...hot coolant now being chemically bonded and eroding every freshly painted surface on my engine. Im afraid that the oil leak is going to saturate the entire bottom side of my car, causing further undercarriage exploration impossible.

Am I the ONLY one who has an incurable OCD to track down and repair ANY leak, no matter of its significance, if for nothing other than cosmetics????

I hate having this Corvette sickness.

I Hate them I pulled my oil pan off for maybe 5 drips a hour, the cause was from a one peice oil pan gasket that had been cut and fitting to the timing cover. Another time on a 91 Bronco I pulled the upper intake manifold to change the valve cover gaskets so you are not alone.
But as one other person said re tighten all the bolts/nuts I use a 1/4 ratchet so I dont over tighten them.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Scottd
...Considered that Big Blocks 'mark their territory' by leaking the way a Alpha dog pees on your mail box...
My mailbox is mounted on the house. I have yet to see a dog - Alpha or otherwise - tall enough to pee on it.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

The oil appears to be from a slight rear main..slight leak though, just a few drops a day. I can live with that.

My gearbox also has a dribbel or two.....Im not fussing with that.

There is another leak that keeps appearing just below the power steering components....but I cannot for the life of me see anything thats leaking.

The coolant.....oh, the coolant.....1) the overflow tube needs to be brazed again and 2) the lower hose, the connector that joints both hoses (2 piece design) is badly pitted and I think its not sealing correctly.

And while Im at it.....what the hell is this fuel leak coming out of the front of my Q-jet? Theres some kind of plug, facing forward, that seems to be weeping trace amounts into my freshly painted manifold.
(Its NOT the fuel filter inlet)

Get notified of new replies

To All these leaks. So many leaks. Driving me MAD!

Quick Reply: All these leaks. So many leaks. Driving me MAD!