Sponsored by:

TOP 5 Practical Upgrades for any C3 - please read OP before posting

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default TOP 5 Practical Upgrades for any C3 - please read OP before posting

Some years ago I posted a thread titled "TOP 5 Best Mods for C3 - (purists, just look the other way)", which ended up somewhat dominated by big-ticket items. This time around, I'd prefer to limit conversation to upgrades/mods within practical reach of the majority of C3 owners' wallets and abilities. No laundry lists of comprehensive kit such as engines, transmissions, big brake or suspension packages, and nothing that requires advanced skills, please. Let's keep the focus nearer the component level, weekend projects, or even alterations that require few if any additional parts, with pics welcome.

Note that this isn't the place for debating divisive topics such as PCV, poly vs. rubber, spring/bar recommendations, carburetor sizing, Brand X vs. Brand Z, and especially not correctness. That said, feel free to post commentary or to discuss the impact or value (pro or con) of items you've checked off yourself. And, thanks in advance for your contributions!

Guess I'll prime the pump. Here are 5 examples (in no particular order) which I believe worthy of consideration. Sorry if mine have a bias towards the handling side. YMMV
  • Modern rubber - I'm leaning towards NT555's for road use at the moment myself
  • Precision alignment to specs matched to one's primary use - VBP or Guldstrand recommendations as good as any place to start
  • Quality aftermarket shocks - Bilstein, QA1 or Koni (what I have)
  • Spreader bar between front shock towers - you'll ask yourself why didn't the factory do it in the first place
  • Hurst Competition Plus shifter - ditch that sucky OEM unit already
  • Side mount headers - Hey, I love my Hookers!
Ooops! OK, you don't have to post exactly 5.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-10-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Default TOP 5 Practical Upgrades for any C3 - please read OP before posting

Number 1 on my list - Detail the engine bay. I'm always amazed at the number of people that don't do this easy, simple and cheap upgrade.

A little degreaser, a few hours of effort, a little paint, a little rubber renew, and perhaps a few shiny or chrome pieces and you'll be proud to pop your hood.

Or take it a step further with some kickass valve covers, a chrome air cleaner and maybe some color matching ignition wires and you are really going somewhere without really hurting the wallet.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Still working on our 71 coupe.... but so far the list includes...
electric headlight & wiper doors, and a spreader bar. I`m also playing with the idea of an electric door lock solenoid to open & close the Astro vent flaps. I`ll let you know how that one turns out. Each of these mods will be under $200.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:13 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

A JVC radio with disc player, built in HD receiver and USB port...the down side howwever is the panel must be cut wider for the HU to fit...( $109.00 + your time to modify the dash )...Good Luck!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

1. +1 vote for upgraded modern tires, but you'll probably have to go to 17" rims (I really liked the Michelin PS2's)
  2. Spreader bar between front a-arms
  3. Anti-bumpsteer blocks for front suspension - great mod, but a PITA. Took some time and a drill press to rework the steering arms to accept the blocks. Makes the steering soooo much better.

4. Modern headlights - I installed HELLA lights. They just took some minor trimming on the headlight bucket due to larger connector. Everything else is still stock.
  5. If you lowered your C3, made extensions to lower the shock mounting point on the a-arms to regain full travel of shocks. Made them from old delrin bushings I had laying around off my old sway bar setup. You can see them in the picture above - see how the shock eye is lower than normal. WARNING: depending on shock & a-arm combo, the shock may hit the a-arm requiring rework of the hole for the shock.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Some good upgrades-

Since most of my mods are totally impractical-

Here's one I did that-is practical and not that expensive-

Replace the interior lights w/ LED's-

Part # 1142 LED Bulb - BA15D Retrofit

As I am always working on the car- leave the door open - get busy w/ something else- and you have discharged your battery-

Working under the dash- they get hot- not so w/ the LEDs

And not expensive- can be done for about $30.

Richard
Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Richard, just so you know I wasn't trying to come up with a specific set of rules to exclude you. Love your car! Keep pushing the envelope.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

A nice aluminum radiator. Painted black. The original, re built and placed in a box in your basement.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I could not agree more with modern rubber as the #1 upgrade.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:15 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Here are two lists depending on your intended use - I would probably do all of them. Then you can get into adding power.

Cruising:
Sound system, floor insulation, electronic ignition (those who need it), decent clutch and shifter (you auto guys are on your own), good 4wheel alignment.

Sporty:
Upgraded tires (probably 17” up), spreader bar, decent brake pads, braided brake flex lines, good shocks
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 74modified
Here are two lists depending on your intended use - I would probably do all of them. Then you can get into adding power.

Cruising:
Sound system, floor insulation, electronic ignition (those who need it), decent clutch and shifter (you auto guys are on your own), good 4wheel alignment.

Sporty:
Upgraded tires (probably 17” up), spreader bar, decent brake pads, braided brake flex lines, good shocks

I'm liking the multi-category approach.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:19 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I covered your list except for the spreader bar. I haven't quite figured out how to wiggle it in between the fan and shroud with the BB in there.
I didn't go with the Nitto tires- Goodyear Eagle G2-D4's 295/40x17 rear and 275/40x17 front.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TimAT
I covered your list except for the spreader bar. I haven't quite figured out how to wiggle it in between the fan and shroud with the BB in there.
Are the spreader bar brackets different for a SB and a BB? Doesn`t the bar fit under the pulleys.... between the fan and block... or is that only for a small block?
Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

AFAIK installing the spreader bar on BBCs with a mechanical fan isn't as straight forward as on the SBC, and may require a bit of special fab work. Easy peasy with electrics.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Tomorrow, I'm having my upholstery guy, make me a six inch cloth elastic band, with hooks at either end and four or five grommet holes spaced about an inch apart from each other.

This will be to stop the rattle of the manual shifter on the freeway or highway, when a certain combination of harmonics, rpm and road conditions causes the shifter to rattle ceaselessly (unless you keep your hand on it, the whole time).

You would hook one end into the front of the hole in the console and then the other in the back and then find a grommet that will fit into the side peg of the reverse release on the shifter. The concept is to apply a gentle elastic force downwards on the shifter.

PS: Don't use this around town. Also, every single part of the shifter mechanism has been replaced.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:55 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

adjust back anything to spec

keep it tuned

replace worn or loose parts

keep it maintained to the nth degree
Old 07-09-2015, 04:22 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Spreader bar?

What does this do for you?

I have a SBC, so sounds like it will be an easy add.

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To TOP 5 Practical Upgrades for any C3 - please read OP before posting

Old 07-09-2015, 05:22 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Spreader bar?

What does this do for you?

I have a SBC, so sounds like it will be an easy add.

Ken
Stiffens up front suspension so it will act like it`s supposed to.... helps prevent frame cracking due to stress at up-rights

Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Old 07-10-2015, 06:53 AM
erieaddict
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default spreader bars

Are these spreader bars fabbed, or do you purchase them from a vendor?

Quick Reply: TOP 5 Practical Upgrades for any C3 - please read OP before posting