C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement VIN - How much is my 73 worth now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement VIN - How much is my 73 worth now?

I've got a 73 corvette that I didn't pay anything for. Numbers match. L82 automatic.

I love corvettes and would like to either put some money into this car, or sell it to get another corvette to tinker with.

My only concern is spending money on a car with a replacement VIN may not be the best investment. I like the 73 year, but it also not my favorite. If I knew the value of the car was not effected at all, I would keep the car no questions, but...

How much value have I lost with the car having a Replacement VIN?

Thanks, Cody

Last edited by CodyPrince; 07-25-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by CodyPrince
...I've got a 73 corvette that I didn't pay anything for...How much value have I lost with the car having a Replacement VIN...
If the car cost you nothing, how can you lose any value? Have the car appraised. If you intend to sell, you should expect a potential buyer to want to know the story behind the state issued VIN.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
If the car cost you nothing, how can you lose any value? Have the car appraised. If you intend to sell, you should expect a potential buyer to want to know the story behind the state issued VIN.

Thanks for the reply Easy Mike.

Just because I didn't pay for the car doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

What is it worth?

What would it have been worth if it had the original Vin?

Will it appreciate as the years go on and with the improvements I make the same as if it had the original Vin?

My wives rich boss gave it to me (see story here if interested).

I don't want to put money and time into a car that will only be worth so much because of the replacement vin. I do not know the story behind why the vin was replaced either. I have how ever matched the vin with what is stamped on the frame by rear tire.

If the value and interest of the car is down because of the replacement vin, why would i want to spend time and money on it? I could just sell it, get what i can out of it, and buy a different vet to make a project out of. I just really don't know how much my car has lost value because of the replacement vin.

Thanks, Cody
Old 07-25-2015, 01:42 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Its obvious you don't want the car,so just sell it.Since you paid nothing for it,what does it matter what you get anything is 100% profit you can go and buy something you like instead.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:01 PM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Its obvious you don't want the car,so just sell it.Since you paid nothing for it,what does it matter what you get anything is 100% profit you can go and buy something you like instead.
Please don't assume I don't want the car. The title of this thread and question I'm asking has nothing to do with if I want the car and or what I paid for it.

I have been searching and debating for months now and all I find is telling me the get out of it. It needs some TLC and I'm slowly getting some money together, but don't want to spend it on something that is not worth it.

please see these threads to help understand why i'm debating all of this....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-is-this.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-pillar.html

Thanks, Cody
Old 07-25-2015, 03:11 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

What is it worth? X

What would it have been worth if it had the original Vin? X + ??%

Will it appreciate as the years go on and with the improvements I make the same as if it had the original Vin? Maybe, Maybe not.

I don't want to put money and time into a car that will only be worth so much because of the replacement vin. I concur.
I do not know the story behind why the vin was replaced either.Potential buyers might want to know....would be a red flag.
I have how ever matched the vin with what is stamped on the frame by rear tire.

If the value and interest of the car is down because of the replacement vin, why would i want to spend time and money on it? Good point.

I could just sell it, get what i can out of it, and buy a different vet to make a project out of. I just really don't know how much my car has lost value because of the replacement vin. Now that sounds like a logical plan and you won't be discouraged.

Thanks, Cody
I'm sure there is someone out there that would love to have your '73 and modify/build it to their liking and might not be concerned about the replaecment vin.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

An important question is how much money do you want to put in the car? Many Corvette owners with cars needing work eventually spend more than the car is worth to get it in nice condition. So, if the car needs lots of work to be nice you're better off to leave it as is and sell it. If the car needs $1000 or $2000 to be nice and you plan on keeping it that'd be worthwhile doing.

I'll take a wild guess that the replacement vin reduces the value somewhere between 20-50 percent but it depends on the potential buyer. Many Corvette purchasers won't even consider a car with a replacement VIN while many buyers aren't particularly concerned about it. Maybe you could get a good price for the car, but it would just take a lot longer to find the right buyer.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

As long as the replacement VIN is documented as valid, it should not have a big impact on the value. If the car has rare, high value options it might have a more significant impact.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:59 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff2002
As long as the replacement VIN is documented as valid, it should not have a big impact on the value. If the car has rare, high value options it might have a more significant impact.
The hit to the value depends on what the car is. If it's a perfect condition show car with rare options then you'll take a big hit. If it's just a nice driver then it's not nearly as much of a problem. If you're looking at doing a complete restoration and then selling the car, I wouldn't do it to a car with a replacement VIN. But if your plans are to slowly fix it up and have fun with it, I don't think you can really go wrong. On the other hand, if you know now that this one doesn't really do it for you, sell it get one you like better. But I wouldn't let the replacement VIN be the determining factor.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the last few replies. I love having a vette and can't help to think my next one could be a piece of just where as this car is really pretty nice for being as old as it is with really nothing being done to it. it does have 117k on it. Engine and tranny, in my opinion, need some love.

I don't have anything in it and really think I wanna just keep it and have fun with it. I don't have anything in it and can always get what I put in it out of it at this point (engine work and tranny work) I would think.

I just like having a vette. I'm going to keep it.

Thanks guys, Cody
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

glad your keeping it. it would be pretty tacky for you to keep asking someone , especially your wifes boss about a car ,have it given to you and then sell it, unless you were going to give him the cash.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts

I've got a 73 corvette that I didn't pay anything for. Numbers match. L82 automatic.

I love corvettes and would like to either put some money into this car, or sell it to get another corvette to tinker with.

My only concern is spending money on a car with a replacement VIN may not be the best investment. I like the 73 year, but it also not my favorite. If I knew the value of the car was not effected at all, I would keep the car no questions, but...

How much value have I lost with the car having a Replacement VIN?

Thanks, Cody

Is there no vin # in left post of windshield ?Also vin is on left upper frame and if it's original engine vin # will be on block .Might be worth looking for
Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Viss1
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to hear you're keeping the Vette. The topic of what a car with a replacement VIN is worth is still worth discussing, though, so here's my $0.02.

First, I assume you have the title to the car. If it's a salvage title, that alone would ding the value substantially, both for someone paying cash and also because few if any banks will lend on a salvage title.

If it's a clean title, the car has probably been in an accident major enough to get one or more of the panels replaced. Then you're just in a situation where the buyer assesses the quality of the repairs and you both decide what kind of a discount over an original car it will bring.

Overall, the more documentation you can provide, the better. You said you have none at this point, but have you tried making some calls or e-mails to the CA DMV to see if they have a record of why it was replaced? The "control number" on the tag might be useful.

Anyway, interesting topic, and I'd be curious to see if you uncover anything.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I wanna just keep it and have fun with it...
Then market value is meaningless. Keep it and enjoy it.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 530planeman
Is there no vin # in left post of windshield ?Also vin is on left upper frame and if it's original engine vin # will be on block .Might be worth looking for
I have verified the Replacement VIN is the exact same number as the original. engine is original and i have located the VIN stamped on frame by drivers side rear tire.

Thanks for the reply, Cody
Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nutsy
glad your keeping it. it would be pretty tacky for you to keep asking someone , especially your wifes boss about a car ,have it given to you and then sell it, unless you were going to give him the cash.
He is very rich. He also new i had an interest in corvettes and that my dad had a 74 when i was a kid.

its important to note that he told me i could keep it or sell it. he didn't care one way or the other. I would never want to insult someone like that.

very good point, but simply not the case. it was nothing to him but taking up garage space.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 AM
CodyPrince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Viss1
Glad to hear you're keeping the Vette. The topic of what a car with a replacement VIN is worth is still worth discussing, though, so here's my $0.02.

First, I assume you have the title to the car. If it's a salvage title, that alone would ding the value substantially, both for someone paying cash and also because few if any banks will lend on a salvage title.

If it's a clean title, the car has probably been in an accident major enough to get one or more of the panels replaced. Then you're just in a situation where the buyer assesses the quality of the repairs and you both decide what kind of a discount over an original car it will bring.

Overall, the more documentation you can provide, the better. You said you have none at this point, but have you tried making some calls or e-mails to the CA DMV to see if they have a record of why it was replaced? The "control number" on the tag might be useful.

Anyway, interesting topic, and I'd be curious to see if you uncover anything.
I have the title and no where does it say anything about "Salvage". It looks just like any other title.

The VIN on this car was never on the panel. It was on the windshield pillar. currently the Windshield Pillar just has a blank spot.

it doesn't look like anything has ever been replaced on this car. it looks like it is the original paint and all body parts. the only thing different is the front bumper is a little different shade of blue.

It seriously looks to me like it was stolen, windshield removed, Vin removed.

I have not contacted the CA DMV. It took me a long time to get the title in my name due to the fact that my wives boos never titled it. we actually kind of skipped a title so they say. anyhow, now that it is in my name, i can contact CA DMV and see what they got.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to contact CA DMV next week. I love being a vette owner and just want the truth about the car and too know what its worth.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement VIN - How much is my 73 worth now?

Old 07-26-2015, 03:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Moving from Cars For Sale classifieds to General discussion area.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll give you what you paid for it!

Glad you're keeping it.

Russ
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM
ranger9812
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW...I have a '66 coupe with a replacement VIN plate from Pennsylvania from when it was recovered from a theft. Among other things taken from it, the VIN plate and trim tag were gone from under the dash. Mine isn't a numbers matching car, and I've built it as a budget resto-mod; so I don't consider that it's really lost any value specifically because of the replacement VIN. It's actually kind of liberating because I felt like there was no way to go back to an NCRS darling anyway; so why not do what I wanted with it?

Granted, a '66 hot rod is still a C2 and retains more market value than a '73, but I think the logic still applies.

Quick Reply: Replacement VIN - How much is my 73 worth now?