Sponsored by:

Want to borrow mock spindle for bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Want to borrow mock spindle for bearings

If anyone has one I could borrow, I would gladly pay the shipping to DFW plus a little extra for the "rental".

Rebuilding trailing arms and need to set tolerances. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Even though I have the tool...I believe I have a spindle that has slip fit bearings on it because...from time to time...an owner will start on it and get stuck and need the spindle so the car can be sent to me to finish.

So...I will look and place my hands on it and get back to you tomorrow.

IF I can not put my hands on it.....if I had a decent spindle for this purpose...could you use that and take it to machine shop that could put it on a lathe and sand the bearing areas so your bearing could be slip fit on it. They would not need to machine it due to only needing about .001" taken off. Would that work. That way...you would not have to ship it back to me???

DUB
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Even though I have the tool...I believe I have a spindle that has slip fit bearings on it because...from time to time...an owner will start on it and get stuck and need the spindle so the car can be sent to me to finish.

So...I will look and place my hands on it and get back to you tomorrow.

IF I can not put my hands on it.....if I had a decent spindle for this purpose...could you use that and take it to machine shop that could put it on a lathe and sand the bearing areas so your bearing could be slip fit on it. They would not need to machine it due to only needing about .001" taken off. Would that work. That way...you would not have to ship it back to me???

DUB
Hmm. I'm not sure. I haven't considered using a spindle and sanding it down. Is that the only difference in the shafts? .001"?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

How much would you want for the spindle?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

i've c'n a CAD drawing and solid models on another vette forum........

been thinking of making one myself at work,
not much help as i'm other side of the world to you....
Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i've c'n a CAD drawing and solid models on another vette forum........

been thinking of making one myself at work,
not much help as i'm other side of the world to you....
Actually, my neighbor runs a cnc from his house as a side business. If you could get me the blueprints, I'm sure I could have him cut me the part for free.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
How much would you want for the spindle?
NOTHING... It is a usable spindle but not one I would put back in a Corvette. Pay to get it to you and I am good with that. You are using it for setting up the bearings.

I cannot send out my set-up tool at any cost....so the spindle is all I can do at this point. Just let me know if you want it or not.

I assume you have figured out how to get the spindle into your bearing set-up when you have it worked out.??? Because there is a special tool to do just that. Just in case you were not aware of that tool. And it is not using a hydraulic press. But many have done just that and all I can say is to be aware of how you support your spindle so you do not 'tweak it' when pressing it into the bearings.

DUB
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
NOTHING... It is a usable spindle but not one I would put back in a Corvette. Pay to get it to you and I am good with that. You are using it for setting up the bearings.

I cannot send out my set-up tool at any cost....so the spindle is all I can do at this point. Just let me know if you want it or not.

I assume you have figured out how to get the spindle into your bearing set-up when you have it worked out.??? Because there is a special tool to do just that. Just in case you were not aware of that tool. And it is not using a hydraulic press. But many have done just that and all I can say is to be aware of how you support your spindle so you do not 'tweak it' when pressing it into the bearings.

DUB
I'm gonna be honest. I'm not familiar with the special tool to which you are referring. Oreilys rents some sort of install tool that I was planning on using. Could you possibly send me a link to it? I've never done this before but it isn't outside of my abilities. Just need the knowledge. I've read several tutorials and picked up a lot of tips.

Thanks Dub!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Set-up tool

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1982.html

Spindle install tool

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1982.html

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Want to borrow mock spindle for bearings