Sponsored by:

My corvette almost made it home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

No emissions in Texas, just safety inspection.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
No emissions in Texas, just safety inspection.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 AM
restoration_79
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update + questions for the experienced

As a status update [if anyone cares] getting a new 350 crate engine and 262 cam kit from extreme energy once I pull this engine out. Also unbaffled chrome side pipes. The goal is to sound just wicked without having to upgrade the rest of the drive due to excess HP. Cruise car, not a race car.... that's what my other one is for haha.

My current issues/queries for you experts out there [besides waiting to borrow an engine hoist] are:
1. The bell housing on the transmission is cracked but only in the front from it looks like impact *see image*. Is this a weld-a-plate patch job or do I have to get a new housing? [after disassembling and cleaning/checking condition of gears, duh]

2.I'm DIY-ing the carpet from a std bolt, is this insanity? What do you put under the carpet [i've ripped out the existing moldy glued-on pad of indiscernible material already]?

Originally Posted by Gordonm
If you see evidence of a rod kissing anything you are looking at a complete engine. That rocker arms off is not a good sign either. I would say a dropped valve and then it got stuffed in the cylinder and broke the rod. I'm afraid you won't find much good in there.

On the upside a complete new engine with HP upgrade should make the GF happy! Probably not your wallet but nobody ever said women or Corvettes are cheap!
- SOOOO not happy having to replace the engine [was really not in the prelim budget... which went out the window once I saw the car in person anyways]... and the tow truck cost.
But much thanks to everyone for all the supportive comments to the bf- "sh*t happens, now I get to learn how to rebuild an engine" is exactly what I said to him.

[left = oil pan, right = transmission housing, middle = giant hole from somebody's bad driving]
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I d get a used original housing from a junkyard or eBay . Not all that much money . Patching kinda bubba
Old 08-09-2015, 09:09 AM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While you are going over budget I would put in a new Dewitts radiator. It would be easy to get in while you have it torn down. My 79 stays nice and cool.

Quick Reply: My corvette almost made it home...