Sponsored by:

My corvette almost made it home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:08 PM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
It would be worth more to me with a Genuine GM crate motor, especially one of the ZZ series engines.
Agreed. peace of mind knowing it is nice and ready to go out of the box and put together better since that engine bay was (is) a disaster
Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Great looking project. I am sure that it was used to tooling around town for the previous owner. Then you buy it and decide you would try and run 80 on the highway with the t-tops off and the wind blowing thru your hair for a couple hours. The engine just wasnt used to it. Time for a re-build though, or buy a crate motor. Piece of cake to install with all your engineer degrees. Just read and read, you should knock it out in no time. The girlfriend will enjoy the new motor also. I bet you will enjoy the vette more than the SS.
The vette definitely has a different way about it. Instead of every boy racer with a heavy foot trying to race me (like in my SS) most people were just like "cool car" thumbs up type deal. Once we get it running real nice and sounding mean I'm sure ill cause some trouble though
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I had an 79!L82 when it was nearly new car......it was a heck of a hot ride the 300 miles from college to my parents house.....back then...it ran like 220 degrees all the time ......car was black too. I imagine the cat was cherry red.

My tennis shoes were so hot I swear they melted rhe soles ....it never blew up ...LOL

My car had the 3:70 axle .....running 75 mph On a hot azz day is tuff on an old engine . I thought the thing was going to blow up like a bomb it used to get so hot.......
But not as hot as my 66 BB got....that was in class all it's own.

I'm not surprised it gave up .

These old cars were built for 55 mph speed limits ......everybody does 80 now ....it's hard on old bones
It was def running up at 220 most of the way... kept having to drop down to 65 and be viciously passed by big rigs lol but i was trying to keep it kool in the hot Houston sun. No luck!!

BTW i took one of my shoes off during the ride (i couldn't manage the one on the gas lol) and it was f'n hot in that footwell....
Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Please post all available pics of your GF, er I mean Vette...
Old 07-30-2015, 06:18 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by acroy
HAHAHA!
Chemical engineer here.
Can't trust those EE's. Booksmart, don't know one end of a wrench from the other.

More pics of GF
To the OP, nice Vette and now you have an excuse to make it "known" to be a reliable runner. Good luck with it and above all have fun while playing with it.

ME here too. I do have some EE coworkers, one of which stares at the ceiling tiles while he talks to you and the other is a face talker that continually stares at you until you laugh at his stupid jokes. Just sayin that's my experience.

Terry
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by HOOAH
To the OP, nice Vette and now you have an excuse to make it "known" to be a reliable runner. Good luck with it and above all have fun while playing with it.

ME here too. I do have some EE coworkers, one of which stares at the ceiling tiles while he talks to you and the other is a face talker that continually stares at you until you laugh at his stupid jokes. Just sayin that's my experience.

Terry
HAHAHAHA
Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Doughan
Please post all available pics of your GF, er I mean Vette...
Haha this seems to be a recurring theme!! This weekend we are gonna try and get the busted engine out. I'll be posting more pics. She may make her way into one or two but no guarantees you vultures lol
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by WkendWarrior
Haha this seems to be a recurring theme!! This weekend we are gonna try and get the busted engine out. I'll be posting more pics. She may make her way into one or two but no guarantees you vultures lol
Shoot they are vultures. Glad I haven't posted pics of my wife yet lol.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

The vette definitely has a different way about it. Instead of every boy racer with a heavy foot trying to race me (like in my SS) most people were just like "cool car" thumbs up type deal. Once we get it running real nice and sounding mean I'm sure ill cause some trouble though
I am sure you will.

I to take it easy also. I still have 3:73 gears in mine and I am pushing 3000 rpms, at around 60-65. People are passing me like crazy, at the same time telling me how cool my car is, lol.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

If you do post a pic, she better be turning a wrench, helping you and getting grease under her nails.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by SinfulC3
I just want to compliment you on how well you seem to be taking all of this.
My thread would have been titled "I'm about to kill everyone I see and this is why".

Way to take it like a champ. Great looking car. Much luck.

Nick
Much appreciated! I have already had gone thru the 5 stages of loss lol its on to acceptance and beast building now!

When life gives you a lemon, rip out its faulty guts and put something better in it (or insert any other terrible pun on lemons lol)

Plus, this was supposed to be a project car... just got more than we bargained for. .. but I tell ya I'm gonna learn everything there is to know about these type of engines from this experience...

But it is fun regardless of the setbacks.
Your attitude is a breath of fresh air... most threads that start out like this get to the "I'm callin' my lawyer" stage by post #10.

Good for you; enjoy the journey.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Ahhh excellent....
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Default Weekend Progress

So got a lot done this weekend.

Better leverage inside the engine bay lol

just need to get the tranny disconnected, headers off, and unbolt to pull.

interior mine as well get pulled while we are at it

seats are toast.

Got the motor torn all the way down to the engine headers and transmission. ... just gotta go the extra bit and get that engine hoist to pull er out.

Also ripped out the interior... figured mine as well redo that while we are getting her running again.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:22 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Here is a pic of the oil pan destruction as well...

oil pan mayhem
Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

In the end it will be worth it. Why? Even a mild crate motor will be a million times better than the smogger 350 that is in it now. Believe it or not, you have done yourself a favor
Old 08-03-2015, 10:29 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Default Smog/emissions questions...

General question for ya about the new engine.... So we just cut off all those pipes that connect to the headers. They were all rusted/fused and would not budge. I believe all that goes to the blower/smog stuff right?

When we get a new engine (probably a 350 crate) we don't need to use the emissions garbage do we? I've read that it will just hurt emissions and mileage... but that really doesn't matter as long as we have vintage plates right?

Anyway, i'd like to know if the stock Carburetor will work without this stuff or we have to get that along with the motor as well. I know you will all say "just get it anyway" but i just wanna know if it will work or we NEED to buy a new one.

If anyone could shed some light on this subject (related post maybe?) that would be helpful.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

General question for ya about the new engine.... So we just cut off all those pipes that connect to the headers. They were all rusted/fused and would not budge. I believe all that goes to the blower/smog stuff right?

When we get a new engine (probably a 350 crate) we don't need to use the emissions garbage do we? I've read that it will just hurt emissions and mileage... but that really doesn't matter as long as we have vintage plates right?

Anyway, i'd like to know if the stock Carburetor will work without this stuff or we have to get that along with the motor as well. I know you will all say "just get it anyway" but i just wanna know if it will work or we NEED to buy a new one.

If anyone could shed some light on this subject (related post maybe?) that would be helpful.

You won't need a new carb. Check with your county about emissions. you should be exempt from testing. I am not familiar with texas but here in illinois it would be exempt and you wouldn't need the smog pump hooked up to the headers.

Get notified of new replies

To My corvette almost made it home...

Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would buy a cheap 350 crate motor and put a mild cam in it. that way your not having to upgrade everything else to accomadate a bigger engine.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SinfulC3
I just want to compliment you on how well you seem to be taking all of this.
My thread would have been titled "I'm about to kill everyone I see and this is why".

Way to take it like a champ. Great looking car. Much luck.

Nick

very true, indeed
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM
WkendWarrior
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The Punisher
I would buy a cheap 350 crate motor and put a mild cam in it. that way your not having to upgrade everything else to accomadate a bigger engine.
Exactly my thinking. Jegs has a new 350 crate for like 1450.00 free shipping, that with a cam and headers and maybe a carb upgrade in a bit should have it rumbling nice.

Quick Reply: My corvette almost made it home...