Sponsored by:

72 rear carpet vs window tray hinges

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Default 72 rear carpet vs window tray hinges

So the replacement carpet goes way too far up the rear wall compared to the original, this one pretty much looks like it will just about touch the upper lip where the wall is joined.
I'm OK with that (sorry Alan) in fact I've wrapped the seam above there in material as well.

Has anyone mounted the window tray brackets over the carpet without issue?

Someone posted awhile back (OldGTO?) where their carpet was long and they cut slits into it for the hinges to come through and it obviously works and looks fine but I'm thinking I want to go ahead and mount the hinges over top of the carpet.

Everything looks like it should work fine but just in case I'm missing something

Thanks
M
Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

The problem I had was the carpet... with the jute padding... on top of reflectix... on top of fat-mat... was too thick. So I cut slots for the tray hinges, and cut the jute out for the hinges, t-top loops, and the rubber push pins that hold the carpet up. If I remember right, the hinge was riveted to the back wall, and the tray bolts to it?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:27 PM
Mooser
Race Director

LOL
Maybe it wasn't yours I was thinking of (I pictured blue/teal carpet) but same difference.

The hinges on the 72 (at least) are held with 4x #10-24 bolts (I've changed to button head cap screws but...) and I left a square of hushmat out where the hinge goes. I was planning on trimming the jute off the new carpet in the hinge area so really there will not be much change and the latch is slotted at the front so...

Hot knife a slot through or put the hinges over top, it's things like this that stall my progress far too often

Thanks for the pic, I'll have to stare at it for awhile and decide

M
Old 07-30-2015, 09:57 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

remove the jute pad on the carpet for rear bulkhead and slit the carpet for the brakets
I would not remove the brakets and install over the carpet, the jute padding causes more
prolblems that its worth.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Everything is already removed since i was installing the hushmat anyways so that's not an issue.
i might jjust take a spare piece of carpet and try it to see what it would look like.
guess it really won't matter much one way or the other.
M
Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi M,
I'd think the hinges should be mounted tight against the fiberglass bulkhead.
I'd cut the mat and jute to make that happen.
Then the carpet can be slit as gto's picture shows.
Regards,
Alan

This is a 71. the carpet and jute is shaped to pass below the hinge.
Perhaps in 72 the carpet ran further up the bulkhead to make the interior a little quieter?

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-31-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Hi Alan
I've still got the original jute here somewhere I think, I'll take a look at it today and see what it looked like. (The carpet was custom but used the original jute if I recall) but I think it was supposed to look like yours does.

I could cut and have my brother re-bind the top but honestly I'm trying to cover with something in that area for whatever reason.

Took forever to get the wheel well pieces to fit decent. Pass side went pretty well, drivers side must have been patterned off of a lawn-chair or something.
Then there's the rear wire harness, why that didn't go through on the side of the rear wall where the #4 body mount it I'll never understand.

BTW, When you say the mat, are you talking about the carpet or hushmat?

M
Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi M,
I was referring to the Hush Mat.
The original jute padding for the floor of the rear compartment and the rear bulkhead had a layer of black rubber bonded to it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-31-2015, 03:45 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

FWIW.... I trust Alan`s pictures way more than my memory!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:32 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Mooser-

I did some pretty intense research on the rear carpet sets earlier this year. The rear T section used in 1968-1970 was made in such a manner that when installed in a coupe it required the wing to be notched for the hinge platform. 1971-1972 cars saw a change in the rear T to where it would fit just under it as shown in Alan's picture.

This is the original T out of my 72.

This is the new (as of Jan) molded rear and T humps look installed.

Here is the 1970 coupe original T section showing the nasty cuts needed for the hinges.

Here is the old thread where there are some great rear pictures of original carpet sets too. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...68-1977-a.html
Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Mooser
Race Director

LOL
Here's my original jute / tar-paper / rubber backing

And here's the ACC rear, tucked nicely over the shoulder on the wheel well

Note how it actually touches that bonding lip at the top, which is what I'm after but imaging if I was actually trying to stay stock or close to it

(ignore the fuzzies and a few wrinkles, still in the rough fitting stages)
M
Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Mooser-

The rear T is wrong. It should be dipped down like the one in the picture I posted above. This is one of the changes that was implemented in early Feb on the 1972 rear sections.

Did the carpet set come from me? If so let me know about (aprox) when and let me see if I can get it replaced.

Ernie

This is the new (as of Jan) molded rear and T humps look installed.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Mooser-

The rear T is wrong. It should be dipped down like the one in the picture I posted above. This is one of the changes that was implemented in early Feb on the 1972 rear sections.

Did the carpet set come from me? If so let me know about (aprox) when and let me see if I can get it replaced.

Ernie
Thanks Ernie
Yeah I know it's the back that's off. My original just really shows the difference in height and shape compared to this new one. I'm guessing someone just figured they were supposed to go all the way up and made the new pattern that way or something

No these aren't from your place. I've had them for a couple of years sitting tucked away until I got to this point. Thanks for the offer though.

In my case, I was going to fill that area above the original carpet top anyway so this works out for my purposes.
M

Get notified of new replies

To 72 rear carpet vs window tray hinges

Quick Reply: 72 rear carpet vs window tray hinges