Sponsored by:

These C3's are getting rare!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Default These C3's are getting rare!!

How many C3's have you seen on the road this summer? I bet I haven't seen more than seven all summer. I went to a cars and coffee two weekends ago with aprox. 250 cars and there weren't but two C3's. There were more Ferrari's than C3's. There were more C2's than C3's. I remember when they were every where.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Most of the C3s are on jackstands being restored or restomodded----in my case LOL! I'm trying to get my project car back on the road and completely de-bugged before it gets new paint.

Right now it's a '68-'76 Frankenstein.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Most of the C3s are on jackstands being restored or restomodded----

Mine is! Couple more years, and you`ll see one more out there on the road!
Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
2box
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the C3s are on jackstands being restored or restomodded----in my case LOL! I'm trying to get my project car back on the road and completely de-bugged before it gets new paint.

Right now it's a '68-'76 Frankenstein.
That would be a good ? how many are there on stands right now. Mine is. For 2 years and 4 months now.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:50 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

My 72 is 2yr 6mo
Old 08-02-2015, 03:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I went to a car show yesterday with 340 cars, and Corvette classes broken out into several year classifications, which usually results in more attendence.

There were 5 early cars (53-67... 3 63s !) and a grand total of 1 C3, a modified 80! I was a little shocked.

On the way home I passed a red 70-72...
Old 08-02-2015, 05:30 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Older cars in general are just becoming more rare on the roadways. When was the last time you saw any 70's or earlier car just going down the road unless there is a show or cruise in nearby? Unless it is a beautiful day and I am at the local "fashion mall", I probably won't see any classic on the road. Yes they are fun to drive and be in, but they aren't always economical. This is starting to run true for the C4's too. The nice low mileage ones are staying in garages, the ones that need a lot of work are being beat on, and the average ones come out to play from time to time. But I have to say, a couple weeks ago when I was on vacation coming home from the smokey mountains I saw two 58 - 62 Corvettes running the opposite direction on the freeway. They looked great and we're getting lots of attention from people passing them on the other side.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

This was my daily driver..........................

I recently sold it to finish my '68 resto-mod convertible.....which will be my D.D. retirement car!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:30 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

This 68 convertible is finally back in the garage and will be primed soon. After sanding for nearly 40 hours I figured out that I don't want a new career as an auto body man. It's ok working on your own car though and come to think of it I've only seen a couple of C3s this summer. I've had this one since October of last year and progress has been kind of slow. Can't wait to get it done and have another C3 back on the road.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I could be wrong about this.....but it always amazes me how many 60-70 classics live 99% of their life stowed away in garages. There is always this B.S. about them not being reliable, so can't be driven, as if back in the 60's and 70's, cars lined the highways and back roads broken down! What some people call classics today, used to be the ONLY CARS ON THE ROAD! And people drove them from Pennsylvania to California. I say the because, this is all B.S., and the real truth is that people who own these cars simply choose to stick them in their garages, and make excuses about why they can't drive them. Its not the cars, its the people who own them.

Conversely, look at the Harley Davidson crowd, they ride their bikes, old and new, everywhere, all the time. They don't have that problem.

I think it is sad that more people who own these cars don't put them on the street where they belong. But, for some reason, they don't. With the exception of driving in salt laden roads in the winter, these cars should be used as daily drivers, and every chance you can get in the evenings and weekends. That is what they are for. Again, its not the cars being problems, its the owners who just don't climb in and turn the key. Its a real shame.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:22 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I drive mine all the time. Can't think of a reason not to.

Cruise-in last weekend:
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
it always amazes me how many 60-70 classics live 99% of their life stowed away in garages. ....the real truth is that people who own these cars simply choose to stick them in their garages, and make excuses about why they can't drive them. Its not the cars, its the people who own them.
I think it is sad that more people who own these cars don't put them on the street where they belong. But, for some reason, they don't. Again, its not the cars being problems, its the owners who just don't climb in and turn the key. Its a real shame.
I hate to admit that I might be one of those people......

The problem is, there`s just to much to do, and not enough time (see signature line). We`ve decided to go ahead and let our boys have some of them now, instead of waiting for us to drop dead. We`ll take a couple with us to the cabin when we retire... and we WILL use those ones daily!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I could be wrong about this.....but it always amazes me how many 60-70 classics live 99% of their life stowed away in garages. There is always this B.S. about them not being reliable, so can't be driven, as if back in the 60's and 70's, cars lined the highways and back roads broken down! What some people call classics today, used to be the ONLY CARS ON THE ROAD! And people drove them from Pennsylvania to California. I say the because, this is all B.S., and the real truth is that people who own these cars simply choose to stick them in their garages, and make excuses about why they can't drive them. Its not the cars, its the people who own them.

Conversely, look at the Harley Davidson crowd, they ride their bikes, old and new, everywhere, all the time. They don't have that problem.

I think it is sad that more people who own these cars don't put them on the street where they belong. But, for some reason, they don't. With the exception of driving in salt laden roads in the winter, these cars should be used as daily drivers, and every chance you can get in the evenings and weekends. That is what they are for. Again, its not the cars being problems, its the owners who just don't climb in and turn the key. Its a real shame.
I tend to agree...really couldn't have said it any better ......it's not the cars .....it's the owners......the cars are too uncomfortable for most today. Guys that never owned them when they were young usually have A difficult time getting use to a C3 or older......or any old Sport Car .....most were crude . Not all corvette admirers make corvette drivers . Guys who really drive are a rare breed.

That's why Chevy builds C7 s......so everybody can ride in comfort and impress us....LOL...

I drove mine three times to the gym...last week , and Sat and Sunday.....five out of seven ....I don't drive in the rain ...it leaks really bad ....lol.

Filled her up today ......gonna drive every day I can......you know I just dig the sound and feel of old vette.....smell of gas , old and rattles does my heart good......comfort...

It was 90 plus F and 85 % humidity ......I just love driving old Vettes.

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 08-02-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
hpxt
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Most of the C3s are on jackstands being restored or restomodded----in my case LOL!
Same here...putting her back together, now just need to figure out the tranny leak. Been 2 years, hope to get her back on the road end of this month.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
74TTop
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
How many C3's have you seen on the road this summer? I bet I haven't seen more than seven all summer. I went to a cars and coffee two weekends ago with aprox. 250 cars and there weren't but two C3's. There were more Ferrari's than C3's......
That just makes ours better !!! Went to CarCraft show in milwaukee a couple of weeks ago just to find '74 vettes to get ideas and info for mine. Found only one '74. Handful of other years, but really thought the showing of my year would have been better. Just makes mine stand out more.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

This was my daily driver..........................

I recently sold it to finish my '68 resto-mod convertible.....which will be my D.D. retirement car!

Oh man! I liked your truck! Hopefully you got a good amount for it!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 PM
letterman7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive my '82 every weekend when the sun shines. The last three weeks I've passed at least one other C3 cruising the back roads. I bought mine to drive, not to sit in the garage. And it's more comfortable than my '06 2500 pickup... the wife will occasionally nod off with the sun coming through the t-top and the a/c on!

Get notified of new replies

To These C3's are getting rare!!

Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at a show yesterday and was one of only 3 C3s there. There was a beautiful 57 (orange with white coves/interior), and several C6s and C7s, but that was it for Vettes. I've seen a beautiful survivor 67 there before, but he wasn't out this month.

I think one good reason you don't see many old Corvettes like ours on the road is because of the cost of ownership. Rotten birdcages on C3s are something we all know to be aware of, because the cost to fix it can easily balloon to more than most can stomach. It's hard to find one in decent shape that isn't way overpriced, and even when you do you're still going to be paying the "Corvette tax" on all the parts you need to bring the car back up to snuff. It's usually easier, and for most more financially sane, to buy one already restored but those are usually very expensive as well.

Further, these arent 'family cars' by any definition. I notice the Chevelles, Mustangs, Camaros, etc are all popular (at least around here) because you can put kids in the back when you go to a show. At least a third of the cars at yesterday's show at a baby seat in the back. No kidding.

Then there's operational costs. Most vintage cars are running some sort of carbureted V8: not exactly a fuel-efficient combination (especially compared to modern cars). If you do much more than just run to a local show for a few hours, then go back home, you're going to be paying out to fill up again. Gas isn't exactly cheap; having a gas-guzzler for a daily driver isn't financially smart especially these days when people are trying to find any way to save money. Sure, some people do it (like Doorgunner said was his intent) but on the whole it's not a common thing.

Then there's the luxuries. Ice-cold AC, cruise control, cushy seats, satellite radio, even cupholders! Not many classics came with those. Sure, you could add them in, but that can take away from the 'classic' feel.

Lastly, the more you drive something the more likely it is to get damaged, and I don't mean general wear and tear. I'd venture to say a large portion of people that have finished working on their cars just want to enjoy them, not wrench on them again. So, they're careful. They only go out on the weekends. They only park at shows around other, similarly careful people. When I'm out and about town and happen to see a classic at some shopping center or restaurant, it's usually parked WAY far away from the rest of the crowd, so as to avoid door dings and stupid people.

So there you have it. That's my take on why you don't see classic Corvettes, or classics in general, on the road a whole lot anymore.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

My '72 has been dormant for the better part of it's life. 1972 with right at 50,000 original miles. It has seen a lot in it's life, and has surely been all over the US. North, south, east coast, west coast, and of course I can't forget Hawaii. In the 10 years that I have had the car since it was given to me, I myself have probably put less than 5,000 miles on it. It sat in my garage a while next some of my other projects. It sat untouched for about 3 years while it waited for an engine rebuild. It currently is getting suspension and everything else reinstalled. It will probably not be driving on the road this year. Just after the engine was rebuilt, it was sadly wrecked. So now I am restoring and repairing it. Had a new paint job put on last year.

Hawaii 2008

How it sits now

Last edited by Brandons72vette; 08-02-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

You said what I have thought for so very long and was never able to put into words as you just did and you summed it up perfect,
My 69 will shortly be a driver a daily driver, hopefully in time for turkey rod run and I will use the 69 if I go somewhere daily, it is not a trailer or garage queen but a car to be driven,
It will be as good or better than it was in 69 which was good enough for drivers in the early 70's.
What I believe some people are hung up on when we get passed the ones storing a car away hoping they can cha ching on it one day scared to drive it that will damage and wear it, and the people who own the classic as a toy for once in a while drive it and brag type thing.
is people are spoiled, AC, seat warmers ,power windows, remote door locks, vanity mirrors, lol, c3's or no old classics have all the modern creature comforts of todays cars and I believe that is where some get passed over as a driver, the owner is just spoiled to the newer stuff.
You mentioned bike riders, different cats, we have a vw trike, my inner ear issues keep me off two wheels, we hit daytona and cabbage patch etc, and it's all dirty, loud, in your face real deal, hot, cold, wet type stuff, not everyones cup o tea by a long shot, but that mind set of doing what you dig even if it's not all comfy is what is shared with the few cats who do drive an old car as much as they can.....
In my case I have my other classic car up for sale, I have my plate full with the 69 and trike and something else parked in the garage just for bragging rights doesn't do anything for me....

Quick Reply: These C3's are getting rare!!