Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey Dub-

Thank you sir!!! Coming from a very respected vette guru like yourself- well lets just say I am very flattered.

I almost scored a nice commercial sewing machine on craigslist- but I'm 2nd in line...

Thought I would try covering the panel and installing the defroster vents. Really wasn't that tough- just have to take your time-a small section at the time- and I think it turned out better than the chinese repo stuff!!!

Here's my first attempt-

DSCN5488 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5493 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454

Also found a Jag XJS- really nice shape but had an engine fire- I got a handful of switches.

Jag Switches

DSCN5487 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Just be careful with those switches and Lucas electronics. Project is coming along nicely.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Just be careful with those switches and Lucas electronics. Project is coming along nicely.
Yep- my first car -a Triumph TR4 had Lucas electrics- thankfully I had a steep driveway to roll start it!!!

I just test fitted my cowl "spreader bar." Got it from Speedway Motors looks like it'll work just great- and get rid of some of the cowl shake.

Now just have to get the right size bolts- great deal for about $70 including mounts.

Got a sewing machine as well- and have been practicing on my vinyl-

DSCN5495 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5496 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Last edited by Richard454; 08-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Richard,

NICE sewing machine.

I have an old WHITE sewing machine that a guy I know who sews says that it is very good and it is stout enough to do some sewing. I have not ever had the chance to do any sewing with it due to ALL of the 'other' stuff I have to deal with. Hopefully this winter if I get snowed in.....I and do some trick stuff with it. It is always good to expand a persons abilities.

The defroster ducts look REALLY GOOD. The first attempt turned out AWESOME! very CLEAN and PROFESSIONAL looking.

In your photo of the defroster ducts...it looks like the panel that they are installed in will not allow the air to actually blow onto the windshield. It is just me...or the angle of the photo when it was taken???

And ...PLEASE EXCUSE me but I can not help it. Just 'throwing this out there'. But I personally have a thoughtful concern with the steel that your spreader bar mount brackets attaches to...is actually thick and reinforced enough to handle the stresses in this area over time. I know I mental issues when it comes to doing some things because I analyze 'things' to death....so...once again...I am just thinking about 10 years down the road and a potential issue occurring due to fatigue due to this area being slightly tweaked over time and now it is showing itself.

Keep up the good work!
DUB
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Richard, like a lot of us, I have been following your project for a long time. But what really prompted me to chime in was the sewing machine. We do a lot of boat upholstery here in Charleston, and you've got quit a machne there. It looks almost brand new. Those commercial machines are actually easier to use than the small DIY machines that most people have. And as a side benefit, there is a big demand for people that know how to sew heavy duty stuff. Whenever you decide to retire you can just put that baby up in the garage and make some extra money. I will be watching what you do and I will use the inspiration in my '78 restore project. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:01 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Richard,

NICE sewing machine.

I have an old WHITE sewing machine that a guy I know who sews says that it is very good and it is stout enough to do some sewing. I have not ever had the chance to do any sewing with it due to ALL of the 'other' stuff I have to deal with. Hopefully this winter if I get snowed in.....I and do some trick stuff with it. It is always good to expand a persons abilities.

The defroster ducts look REALLY GOOD. The first attempt turned out AWESOME! very CLEAN and PROFESSIONAL looking.

In your photo of the defroster ducts...it looks like the panel that they are installed in will not allow the air to actually blow onto the windshield. It is just me...or the angle of the photo when it was taken???

And ...PLEASE EXCUSE me but I can not help it. Just 'throwing this out there'. But I personally have a thoughtful concern with the steel that your spreader bar mount brackets attaches to...is actually thick and reinforced enough to handle the stresses in this area over time. I know I mental issues when it comes to doing some things because I analyze 'things' to death....so...once again...I am just thinking about 10 years down the road and a potential issue occurring due to fatigue due to this area being slightly tweaked over time and now it is showing itself.

Keep up the good work!
DUB
thanks Dub!!!

I got to play w/ the sewing machine a bit- watched a few videos and learned some tricks while doing french seams-my first time behind one!!! Most I have ever done before was a button in a Hotel room!!!

1)Double stick tape to keep the fold

2)Newspaper under the material while feeding through the machine- so it slides right through

Now I have to reload the bobbin... wish me luck!!!

Defroster ducts are more sort of parallel w/ the windshield- but I might use the defogger once a year? It's a compromise- but I think it looks like it came like that from the factory-and that's my goal.

The spreader bar is just to help out the factory bars- they'll (OEM supports) have to be modified to fit w/ the Vintage Air.

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Richard, like a lot of us, I have been following your project for a long time. But what really prompted me to chime in was the sewing machine. We do a lot of boat upholstery here in Charleston, and you've got quit a machne there. It looks almost brand new. Those commercial machines are actually easier to use than the small DIY machines that most people have. And as a side benefit, there is a big demand for people that know how to sew heavy duty stuff. Whenever you decide to retire you can just put that baby up in the garage and make some extra money. I will be watching what you do and I will use the inspiration in my '78 restore project. Thanks.

THANK YOU!!!! Use to travel SC- really enjoyed Charleston-remember hanging out in Isle of Palms.
The machine was a Craigslist find- I got it from a sewing machine tech- who had gone over it- replaced the belts etc It looks like it was just stored in Grandma's house and never used!!!

It's pretty easy to operate-plus I have a bunch of cheap vinyl to experiment on

Originally Posted by Brandons72vette
Looks awesome!
THANK YOU!!

I have been messing with the placement of the gauges-

Really didn't want the steering wheel to block the view- nor did I want the tach/speedo sitting up high like an aftermarket tach!!!

Used some threaded rod to move the gauges placement- and found the closest thing to a sweet spot. I was wanting to go w/ a smaller diameter wheel- but them that'll block the view.

Speedo and tach are swapped- have drill another hole before I can place the speedo in the correct left location.

At least the speedo cable will be easy to reach- along w/ the gauge/indicator bulbs!!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to make up the gauge cover in fiberglass.

MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:39 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great Thread. No Pun intended
Old 09-01-2015, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Looking good!

I know what you mean...trying to find that sweet spot...can be harder than it may seem.

I guess you know the easy way to create complex shapes easily when trying to make a dash board (like yours) out of fiberglass...don't you???

DUB
Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Looking good!

I know what you mean...trying to find that sweet spot...can be harder than it may seem.

I guess you know the easy way to create complex shapes easily when trying to make a dash board (like yours) out of fiberglass...don't you???

DUB
I've used t-shirts (or fleece ) - stretched w/ MDF wood... PVC pipe....floral foam blocks... Plaster of paris....and plastic stuff lying around I can cut up. Have also taken a liking to 3M foil tape and step gutter flashing...

The gutter flashing -I think- works better than cardboard-

What are you thinking?

Richard

Gutter step flashing for a template-

MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Great Thread. No Pun intended
No PUNishment received!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:13 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
***JOKING*****

Richard,
I have always asked myself WHY are you taking the easy route. I just don't get it. Why not challenge yourself...even if it just a little but.

****SERIOUSLY*****

I can HONESTLY write that I could easily work with you. If we worked together on a 'down and up' project car...I honestly think we could cause the earths axis to shift a few degrees due to the intense level of modifications and customization and put the world into the next Ice Age. I am NO LIMITS kinda guy. If a person can think of it and wants to put the money into the 'thought' becoming reality...I am ALL FOR IT. The key problem with this is that there are SO FEW people who want to stretch their imagination and actually have the perseverance and MONEY to do what they want.

SO...seeing a project like this...where you have NOT lost the desire to achieve your VISION.. I APPLAUD YOU immensely. So many people start out with all of the intensity...and then flutter out and begin to sacrifice their own standards from what they started doing in the beginning. I KNOW what it takes to do this...and keep the standards on track....and it is AWESOME!

DUB
Well said DUB! I think the two of you could have a show on Velocity making custom dreams come true!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

I've used t-shirts (or fleece ) - stretched w/ MDF wood... PVC pipe....floral foam blocks... Plaster of paris....and plastic stuff lying around I can cut up. Have also taken a liking to 3M foil tape and step gutter flashing...

The gutter flashing -I think- works better than cardboard-

What are you thinking?

Richard
Nevermind....you basically covered all what I use. I figured that you would have used these by now...but you never know......the only 2 things I can add is I use nylons (panty hose) and also the adhesive backed thermo stable sheet wax. The sheet wax works REALLY well when you are trying to make complex shapes and want to get is super close.

Originally Posted by alconk
Well said DUB! I think the two of you could have a show on Velocity making custom dreams come true!
...but I know that at least from my point of view. I am NOT into drama with people. SO if the shows producer wanted bickering and conflict between Richard and myself....the producer could take a flying leap. There is enough DRAMA when working on these cars...and when you begin to add in custom fabrication...that adds another level or two or twelve.

All of the DRAMA with people on the theoretical show would be with me having problems with the camera and sound crew and someone asking questions like a 2 year old when we are both in deep thought figuring out a problem. For me...when I am brainstorming and analyzing issues...the last thing I need is someone who does not know what is going on... and does not the ability to do what is being done to ask countless questions. THAT is where the shows producer would get the 'realism' and DRAMA from me. And I can bet you can pretty much figure out how I would respond......VERY PASSIONATELY comes to mind to keep it clean. I obviously can not speak for Richard....but I KNOW...that taking cars to an exceptionally high level of customization and modification takes a special type of person. I know I can be very high strung. Actually at times..it can seem to be off the charts. SO...who knows what the future will bring. Personally I would like to have the camera take the shot of the car going into the shop..and then cut to it coming out finished. Kinda like Clark Kent in a phone booth. BUT...that does not make a show.

DUB
Old 09-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Thanks Al-

I've always thought I have the perfect face for radio!!!

A good friend of mine who produces reality type shows- was telling me that they have a "conflict producer" on set- they we discussed whose ex-wife could do a better job!!!!

I was able to throw a little fiberglass at my dash pod- my GF said it looked like cleavage- maybe that's' why I think it looks pretty good!!!

Gauges are just tossed in-

MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 09-05-2015, 07:17 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Looking good Richard, and ya just gotta love anything that looks like Hooters
Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Good lord. DUB admitted he uses wax and panty hoses.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by RBrid
Good lord. DUB admitted he uses wax and panty hoses.

I KNEW IT...someone out there just had to 'go there'.

For the record....to those people who really know me know that I will do just about anything to get a laugh or get the party started and revved up.....but I draw the line when it comes to putting wax on myself.

AS for panty hose.....I will put them on for two reasons.

1.) When I am doing a lot of fiberglass grinding and I put them on to be another protective layer so the fine fiberglass fibers that find there way through no matter what you are wearing...it is my last line of defense.
I will cut the legs off and slide them onto my arms....and do other modifications to protect the rest of me.

Laugh if you want to but I don''t itch...

2.) Back in the day when I was a Boy Scout...before any of these high tech fabrics were readily available....we would wear them under our thermals as another layer so when we were out camping in the winter...it helped keep you warm.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Custom Dash-w/ a stock look

Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Al-

I've always thought I have the perfect face for radio!!!

A good friend of mine who produces reality type shows- was telling me that they have a "conflict producer" on set- they we discussed whose ex-wife could do a better job!!!!

I was able to throw a little fiberglass at my dash pod- my GF said it looked like cleavage- maybe that's' why I think it looks pretty good!!!

Gauges are just tossed in-

Plain and simple "wow"! I know your gauges are just thrown in but in the final install I'm sure you'll flipflop the gauges just by going by the turn signal indicators.
MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Thanks Tony- Hooters work for me!!!

Originally Posted by DUB

AS for panty hose.....I will put them on for two reasons.

1.) When I am doing a lot of fiberglass grinding and I put them on to be another protective layer so the fine fiberglass fibers that find there way through no matter what you are wearing...it is my last line of defense.
I will cut the legs off and slide them onto my arms....and do other modifications to protect the rest of me.

Laugh if you want to but I don''t itch...

DUB
Ummmm...I'm comfortable w/an old flannel shirt and duct tape...

Made a little progress today...next is the console lay out. I might have to adjust the gauges individually in the cluster as the angle is not perfect from the drivers seat...
Speedo and tach are swapped- the real reason- when I was fabbing up the bracket - I flipped it and drilled a hole for the tach that was suppose to be for the speedo...just gotta drill another hole!

MISTERZ06 (04-23-2017)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 AM
High Altitude Vette
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That is quite the ambitious project for sure..
Gary

Quick Reply: Custom Dash-w/ a stock look