Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 stingray

Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 PM
kayron
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970 stingray

hello I want to take the transmission out using just jack stands. any pointers?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I had mine out last fall. You'll need some height to get the room you'll need. I bought some blocks (Race Ramps) to put under the front wheels, used jack stands in the rear. I felt the race ramps added some stability.

Amazon.com: Race Ramps RR-WC-12-2 12" Adjustable Wheel Crib: Automotive Amazon.com: Race Ramps RR-WC-12-2 12" Adjustable Wheel Crib: Automotive
Old 08-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

AND -If you have a plastic creeper from Harbor Freight - when you put the transmission on your chest while on the creeper- it will self destruct!!!

As "BBcorv" said- the ramps will give you more stability.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
AND -If you have a plastic creeper from Harbor Freight - when you put the transmission on your chest while on the creeper- it will self destruct!!!

As "BBcorv" said- the ramps will give you more stability.

Better that the creeper failed rather than your chest

Karon..........Buy a transmission roll-around jack.....

or even an ATV roll-around jack to hold the transmission while you unbolt it.....

then roll the trans. from under the car (it's better than injuring myself.....errr...yourself!)

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-13-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM
kayron
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
I had mine out last fall. You'll need some height to get the room you'll need. I bought some blocks (Race Ramps) to put under the front wheels, used jack stands in the rear. I felt the race ramps added some stability.

Amazon.com: Race Ramps RR-WC-12-2 12" Adjustable Wheel Crib: Automotive
Thanks for the advice. The true is I don't even know if I need to take the transmission out. This is the deal, the transmission got stuck in reverse. I took the shifter **** and the rod, it appears that the system doesn't work. I don't know much about how it works so that's why i thought of taking the whole transmission out, so I can access the shifter assembly. any thoughts?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by kayron
Thanks for the advice. The true is I don't even know if I need to take the transmission out. This is the deal, the transmission got stuck in reverse. I took the shifter **** and the rod, it appears that the system doesn't work. I don't know much about how it works so that's why i thought of taking the whole transmission out, so I can access the shifter assembly. any thoughts?
I have seen this happen before on the Muncie due to incorrect shifter rod linkage. However could be the reverse gear has seized on the main shaft.

Start by disconnecting the linkage for 1-2 and 3-4 and then try to see if you can get it out of reverse- might take a little force.

Richard
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure you have a stock shifter? Many of the older cars have been changed to a Hurst and just have the old gear shift which doesn't use the reverse pull up. Might want to check and if so its probably in the shifter or linkage not the transmission.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

The problem may be with the shifter. I would disconnect the linkage as other suggested, see if you can get it out of reverse. There are three shift arms on the side of the transmission, one furthest to the rear is reverse. Remove the linkage from this arm, then try to move it in and out of reverse. You may need to have an assistant push in the clutch to make engaging and disengaging gears a bit easier. You don't want to pull the transmission unless you have to, it's quite a job.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:36 PM
kayron
5th Gear

Originally Posted by spf72
Are you sure you have a stock shifter? Many of the older cars have been changed to a Hurst and just have the old gear shift which doesn't use the reverse pull up. Might want to check and if so its probably in the shifter or linkage not the transmission.
Thanks for the reply. I realized that there is a cable going from the lower steering column to the reverse lever arm. I don't know what its function is but it appears to be affecting the way the shifter works. The reverse pull up seem to be working, but it won't engage reverse unless I move the reverse arm with the linkage from underneath the car. When I do that the reverse engages but the cable I was referring to won't go back to its original position. It looks to me that that cable is not making the reverse go back. Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. I realized that there is a cable going from the lower steering column to the reverse lever arm. I don't know what its function is but it appears to be affecting the way the shifter works. The reverse pull up seem to be working, but it won't engage reverse unless I move the reverse arm with the linkage from underneath the car. When I do that the reverse engages but the cable I was referring to won't go back to its original position. It looks to me that that cable is not making the reverse go back. Any thoughts?
The cable you refer is is for anti-theft. When the transmission is put into reverse, the cable pushes on an arm on the lower steering column, rotating a mechanism which allows removal of the key and prevents taking the transmission out of reverse until the key is reinserted. Is your cable connected at the column end? Sounds like it may be binding. You may be able to free the cable up with penetrating oil. Another option is to disconnect it at the transmission if you aren't concerned with the anti-theft. You would need to tie the arm on the column up to allow removal of your key.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:20 PM
kayron
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
The cable you refer is is for anti-theft. When the transmission is put into reverse, the cable pushes on an arm on the lower steering column, rotating a mechanism which allows removal of the key and prevents taking the transmission out of reverse until the key is reinserted. Is your cable connected at the column end? Sounds like it may be binding. You may be able to free the cable up with penetrating oil. Another option is to disconnect it at the transmission if you aren't concerned with the anti-theft. You would need to tie the arm on the column up to allow removal of your key.
Thanks very much mister BBCorv70. You enlightened me with knowledge. I'm not concerned with that anti-theft device, so I may just disconnect the cable altogether. Thanks again. Have a nice day
Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

hello I want to take the transmission out using just jack stands. any pointers?

Automatic or 4-speed? An automatic will require a transmission jack of some kind but a 4-speed can be man-handled.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 stingray

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1970 stingray