passenger side
Attached Images    
Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check for and aft tilt on the door glass. Looks like the upper front corner needs to go forward a tad.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
rzkas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instruction on how to check tilt on the glass please

Last edited by rzkas; 08-17-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:51 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Your post doesn't indicate what year car you are working on, but if it's anything like my '72, you're gonna LOVE this job.

A very time-consuming procedure, especially on a two top convertible. Mine took several hours, but I did work slow as to ensure I didn't damage anything when closing the doors.

The step by step instructions (with diagrams) were in my '72 GM Chassis Manual. Hopefully, you have one or you can get one to help you through it.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 PM
rzkas
Racer

I am working a 82 corvette
Old 08-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rzkas
...instruction on how to check tilt on the glass please...
Follow the directions in the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for setting the door glasses.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I answered the same thing on your other post.

Like I wrote and read form your reply in the other post. The problems began when you replaced the weatherstrips.

Nothing has changed in what I wrote and I stand by that.

****PROFESSIONAL COMMENT*****

I KNOW many people do not do what I do every day for years and years. I have dealt with many parts that are reproduced that are good and some that are total crap. I know that there are members who do what I do and can add any more information or even contradict what I am writing. I am NOT selling anything....but...I am only letting people know what can happen. Mainly because I have lived it numerous times.

Corvette weatherstrips are one of these parts that make BIG difference if they are NOT as soft and spongy as possible so the door glass can form into it...instead of the other way around....where the weatherstrip is so dense...that the glass CAN NOT seal into it as like the latex coated neoprene type.. This is not my opinion..but it is a fact.

I have spent COUNTLESS hours trying to get some of these aftermarket weatherstrips to work and pass the water test....wind test....roll down with the door shut...and then the BIG ONE...roll all the way up with the door closed. I realized that years ago the weatherstrips were really poor and the amount of time to try to get the window to work correctly was a seriously labor intensive job.

So...when the latex weatherstrips were being reproduced...that was great. It allowed me to do a job in the amount of time that was REALISTIC.

YES...there can be problems with latex weatherstrips...and that is that the coating of latex can crack or split or dry out and begin to crumble away. And the one company that was reproducing them has been in lull....so I am waiting to see how that plays out..and a new company that is reproducing the pillar post weatherstrip seems to be quite nice and soft and the coating appears to be more factory correct.

So...using latex can cause for them to possibly be needing to be conditioned on a regular basis depending on the amount of environmental exposure the car gets. This conditioning provides the coating to stay soft and supple and allow the door glass to seal as it was designed....OR...put in other designed material weatherstrips and work on it to try to get it to work for you.

YES...I have gotten the aftermarket weatherstrips to work....and YES...it may take some time for the windows to form a seal and allow the door glass to go all the way up with the door shut. BUT...the denser the weatherstrips....the greater chance that you are going to have to adjust if not modify a part or two. And this is why like I wrote in the other post that the front and rear window rollers make a big difference.

DUB
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

DUB, any recommendations on where to get the weather strip? I replaced mine and can't get the B pillar to seal... Sorry to steal this thread so back to your regularly scheduled thread
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
DUB, any recommendations on where to get the weather strip? I replaced mine and can't get the B pillar to seal... Sorry to steal this thread so back to your regularly scheduled thread
I used to...but as I wrote...the company I was getting the latex from has stopped and for a better term...'re-grouping'...and I will know as soon as they tell me.

SO...the 'B' pillar....I have no recommendations due to the density issues. I would possibly try Corvette Rubber.

I know where to get latex pillar posts...but none of the other weatherstrips are currently being made as of yet from the other company as I was told by my supplier.

DUB
Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I used to...but as I wrote...the company I was getting the latex from has stopped and for a better term...'re-grouping'...and I will know as soon as they tell me.

SO...the 'B' pillar....I have no recommendations due to the density issues. I would possibly try Corvette Rubber.

I know where to get latex pillar posts...but none of the other weatherstrips are currently being made as of yet from the other company as I was told by my supplier.

DUB
Thanks DUB, I'll check out Corvette Rubber, maybe they have a better B pillar WS
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM
rzkas
Racer

thank i will search for a better pillar post

Get notified of new replies

To Door and glass problem and adjustment

Quick Reply: Door and glass problem and adjustment