Bob's 1969 Resto-Mod Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by doorgunner
A Forum member once said that most body shops will not tell you that it will take 8 months to finish your car.....because they know you will find a shop that will tell you that "WE can do it in 2 months"! (NOT!)
Haha, yes, that's why I'm asking you guys the "real" estimate. No one lies on the internet.

Originally Posted by DUB
I hate to write this BUT...if the car is READY for paint....thus meaning that it has been gelcoated/primed or whatever to get it to the point of being able to be sanded for paint...then it will all depend on WHO WELL the previous work was completed...and if that was ALL GOOD...then it can take a few weeks to a few months...SO it is hard to say....because the DEVIL is in the fine details. And those FINE details is what will come back and GETTCHA.

It is possible that some shops may be able to give a specific date where the crew is just sitting around waiting for the car to come in and get stared like a pit crew....but chances are that is NOT how it is going to happen.

Every shop does it differently...and I can say that...if serious work is needing to be done....stopping by like an 'expectant father' every other day is often times NOT the thing to do. The reason is some peoples expectations on what they FEEL should have been accomplished versus REALITY can be two totally different things.

I can respect a budget and trying to stay on track with it...REALLY I DO...and I can tell you that many of my customers who agreed to the repairs when the car was being built/restored ALSO start to freak out. And I tell them that they can STOP and take the car home anytime they want to. NO ONE has a crystal ball and knows what each and every car will take to get it right. We do are best when dealing with problems.

And if they are not careful...when they get done....and look at the car because they were so cost conscience...that the end result clearly shows it...and they end up regretting it....because 'back tracking' to get it better or right..is time consuming and expensive.

DUB
DUB - Great comments and definitely some things to keep in mind. Mostly I'm trying to figure out how much time I have to get the work I am doing done before I take it to a shop. Excellent insights.

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
My car was ready for paint, almost. I did all of my own body work, fitting and blocking. Turned it over to a pro for a final go over, he found a few places that needed attention. Heck I couldn't see them or feel them, but he could. Anyway it took 6 weeks from drop off to pick up.
Awesome, Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Parts Car for Sale Link

I've listed my parts car for sale. I haven't gotten any bites or replies. Logs story:

Decent Body
Decent (Surface rust) Frame
Clear title

But that's about it, no interior, no engine or trans and no rear suspension. I opened with $1500 which may be a stretch, but what should be a fair price?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Hello Friends! Its been a while since I have posted, also (unfortunately) been a while since I made any progress. I dropped a few big ticket items on my CC, (Car parts, and a ring for my lady (of the engagement sort)) and I had to wait till I got caught up with my CC. I made some progress selling parts, and my project today was for my '74 parts car... best part was it didn't cost me a dime!

I had some furniture dollys sitting around from Harbor Freight... and all the left over wood that my SRIII frame came in. So I made a rolling rack for the rear frame of the '74 (which doesn't have trailing arms, rear end, or therefore wheels, obviously)

Back to my buddies wood shop garage

I swore i took more progress pictures...

Action Shot!

Finished Product!

I'll drop the '74 on it this week, see if she rolls. Probably use a few straps to the frame to make sure it stays in place.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:06 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Pics of the car on the dolly!

$1500 for the parts car.....if I needed it I'd gladly pay $1500!

$1000 seems low unless you really want the cash to buy more goodies for your '69.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Pics of the car on the dolly!

$1500 for the parts car.....if I needed it I'd gladly pay $1500!

$1000 seems low unless you really want the cash to buy more goodies for your '69.
Not a whole lot of interest t the first price... If you know anyone who is looking for one, send them my way!

At that Price I would have bought it too! I was looking for a '68 - '72 when I was shopping, but I probably would have popped for it and built this one, if I didn't have the Chrome Bumper Car... In a lot of ways its in better shape than the '69 I started with!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I have seen the car and the price is a steal
Old 03-04-2016, 06:50 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

My measurements were off by a few inches... either that or I couldn't read my own handwriting... but it worked out, it sticks out a few inches on each side and makes it MUCH easier to push

Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

So, I dropped the parts car. Caster failed and over she went. It didnt damage anything I need, so it only really affects the resale of the body - which before this was in great shape. Anyone else screw up something like this this bad? make me feel better?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Bugger... I think we've all done something like that.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:34 PM
rdroket
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

At least you got both sides to match...
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

RATS.........I didn't see THAT coming!

That was a nice-looking rolling stand.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Man that stinks! Thought it was a great stand too!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY08
Anyone else screw up something like this this bad? make me feel better?
Bummer - these are some sad pictures.
Once I drove off without locking my C5's roof. It flew off and landed 100 yards behind me, right in front of a truck. There - that's my broken fiberglass screw up.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Bugger... I think we've all done something like that.
Originally Posted by rdroket
At least you got both sides to match...
RATS.........I didn't see THAT coming!

That was a nice-looking rolling stand.

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Man that stinks! Thought it was a great stand too!
Originally Posted by RBrid
Bummer - these are some sad pictures.
Once I drove off without locking my C5's roof. It flew off and landed 100 yards behind me, right in front of a truck. There - that's my broken fiberglass screw up.
Thanks for the encouragement and sympathy fellas! Don't worry this setback didn't discourage me from the project, life just got in the way this last month. I spent three weeks of the last month traveling (NC and CA) and I've been preparing for a move to Cali in a month . I'm working on an update post I will post up this evening
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Well I went to list my '74 Donor body on the Craigs list and wound up finding some parts I "needed"

I got a great deal on both so I can't complain.

Full set of small block Hooker Headers... Yes I already purchased a Big Block set... but this one has the side pipes (Which I needed) and now I will be able to really test and experiment which ones will work better for an LS swap. So that will be a fun experiment when I get there.

Stumbled upon a NIB SFI bellhousing. For half Price... So I had to.

The parts locker grows...
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I am preparing to move to Southern California again after a year in Virginia. Today a buddy of mine gave me a hand and we got the trailer all packed up and ready to hit the road in two weeks. In order to fit the frame and the body in the trailer at the same time, I had to put the body dolly up on the fender wells and got it all strapped down and braced with wood. You can't budge the dolly without rocking the suspension.

All Strapped down!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Bob best of luck!!! S/F Kevin
The following users liked this post:
NAVY08 (05-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Bob's 1969 Resto-Mod Build Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by vstol
Bob best of luck!!! S/F Kevin
Thanks, Kevin! I am pretty busy next two weeks before I hit the road, but I would love to come check out your project one more time before I leave.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

looking fwd to it and I would like to see your frame as well. Just give me a call
Old 09-29-2016, 01:35 AM
NAVY08
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Update

Hello everyone. Its been a while since I posted. I am just now getting ready to get back to work after several pretty big life changes. I thought I would catch you all up.

First I finished the course I was conducting in Virginia. Then, I got married! No, I don't know what she was thinking.

Then I moved to California and took Company Command!

(I'm the short one) Company Command has kept me pretty busy, including a month long desert training exercise.

Quick Reply: Bob's 1969 Resto-Mod Build Thread