Sponsored by:

Pro Touring C3s

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Pro Touring C3s

The pro touring movement just seems to continue in popularity. And I'm really starting to like the look. Here's a few that have caught my attention.

Scott Feldon's '72

Danny Popp's '72

Gary Lackore's '71

So let's see some more pro touring C3s. And no faux cars, I only want to see C3s that are the real deal and compete in autocross events.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My '78 autocrosser

Yeah, wheels and stickers... and 406 SBC, AFR heads, 11.2:1 compression, Hookers, Holley 750HP carb, ported Z28 intake, MSD 6AL ignition, TH350, Continental TC, solid roller cam, roller rockers, rev kit, Corbeau LG-1 seats, 5-pt drvr harness, 4-pt pax, 4-pt roll bar, Borgeson steering, F&R rod end suspension, front spreader bar, 17x8 Rev Classic 100 wheels street, 17x9.5 autocross, runs low 11s.

Last edited by Robert Thomas; 08-25-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

what is it? lowered? wheels? stickers?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:16 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Mine is more road course than autocross, but next year I plan to participate in a few more regional events. Not quite on the level of those posted above, but hoping to reach similar levels of performance without flaring or going to super wide wheels & tires.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by slickfx3
Nailed it
Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

that style is beginning to grow on me too. I have been wanting to update my 75 with some restomods in a while, and going to some of the pro stock or pro touring look.

kdf
Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the posts! How about, along with a pic, posting any mods you have done to make your Vette more competitive?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
From Wikipedia:
Pro-Touring is a style of classic muscle car with enhanced suspension components, brake system, drivetrain, and aesthetics, including many of the amenities of a new performance car. These modified muscle cars have been developed to function as well as, or to surpass, the capabilities of the foremost modern performance vehicles. Pro-Touring cars are built with an emphasis on function and are intended to be driven. Whether they are driven on the street, the race track, the drag strip, or through cones at an auto-cross is of indifference. Regardless of the location, pro-touring cars are destined to be driven.[1]
Old 08-25-2015, 08:39 AM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

You said cars that compete.. you didn't say anything about being any good

Mine is pretty stock... other than the wheels and poll bushings. Also the highway gear I have for my work commute make in /worse/ for autocross, but I hope to one day achieve the awesomeness of the other cars posted!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

What you are calling "pro touring" I believe I call "road race" and while Google definitions are great I believe that it varies person to person and I will do my on thinking.
I bet lots of you will vary in what you feel is a pro touring / road race car.

The trend of resto mod is the big thing in c3 at the moment and pro touring/road race is just resto modding to the extreme.

That is what I am doing with my build,
For me the cars have to "look" like they belong on a track or sneaked off a track and have the drive trains and suspensions needed for the track of choice while I have seen some modern resto mod builds with flares etc called pro touring they are not that to me, they are trailer queens made by toss money at them for the purpose of bragging.

Decals are a must to me and ironically I have several companies wanting to have me slap their stickers on my 69

Track time is not a must for me but then the builder ( like myself ) have to accept we built a poser...lol.
I hope to hit tracks.

The cars need not be all trailer queen pristine in fact looking a bit used it better to me than a pristine show queen.

Here are a few I love....

Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

This thread will now turn into an argument over terminology.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
This is why we can't have nice things.

Kidding!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Got this from Pro-Touring .com

Pro-Touring: A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension components, brake system, drive train and aesthetics, including many of the creature comforts of a new car. Built to function as well or better than some of today’s best performance cars. Pro-Touring cars are built to be driven. Driven on the street, on the race track, on the drag strip, through cones at an auto-cross, no matter the setting, pro-touring cars are meant to be driven. [Generally speaking, late model cars are not considered pro-touring due to their factory designed suspension and brake packages.]

g-Machine: [once considered to mean the same thing as pro-touring, the term has now evolved to mean a slightly less refined pro-touring car] A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension, brakes, drive train and aesthetics, generally lacking some of the creature comforts one would find in a pro-touring car, such as cup-holders, leather seats, etc., otherwise identical to a pro-touring car.

Street Fighter: (The term is adapted from a European genre of stripped down street bikes to mean stripped down pro-touring cars.) A classic muscle car with heavily modified and upgraded suspension and brake system components, powerful yet functional drive train, and little to no creature comforts. Most Street Fighters lack A/C, big billet wheels, chromed-out engine bays and navigation systems, but sport forged wheels, a roll cage and fabricated parts. Anything not necessary to make the car accelerate, decelerate, or handle better is stripped from the vehicle. Street Fighters are Pro-Touring counter-culture at its best; drivability is sacrificed for performance and function. In the simplest of fashions, Street Fighters can be equated to street legal race cars.

A couple favorites-

Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I wasnt arguing at all,

I assume you directed that at me because I said I believe each person will decide for themselves what "pro touring" means, things posted on web sites are just some cats opinion I can have mine you can have yours, but if that all you got from my post and this thread, that is a bit sad,
You didnt add anything about pro touring...do you like the cars, hate the cars dont care either way?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:43 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Aren't Corvettes kinda pro touring from the factory? To me when I hear pro touring, I think of a car that was made to go fast in a straight line, re made to go fast in turns, which the Corvette already was designed for in the first place.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:04 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Richard454

Got this from Pro-Touring .com

Pro-Touring: A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension components, brake system, drive train and aesthetics, including many of the creature comforts of a new car. Built to function as well or better than some of today’s best performance cars. Pro-Touring cars are built to be driven. Driven on the street, on the race track, on the drag strip, through cones at an auto-cross, no matter the setting, pro-touring cars are meant to be driven. [Generally speaking, late model cars are not considered pro-touring due to their factory designed suspension and brake packages.]

g-Machine: [once considered to mean the same thing as pro-touring, the term has now evolved to mean a slightly less refined pro-touring car] A classic muscle car with upgraded and updated suspension, brakes, drive train and aesthetics, generally lacking some of the creature comforts one would find in a pro-touring car, such as cup-holders, leather seats, etc., otherwise identical to a pro-touring car.

Street Fighter: (The term is adapted from a European genre of stripped down street bikes to mean stripped down pro-touring cars.) A classic muscle car with heavily modified and upgraded suspension and brake system components, powerful yet functional drive train, and little to no creature comforts. Most Street Fighters lack A/C, big billet wheels, chromed-out engine bays and navigation systems, but sport forged wheels, a roll cage and fabricated parts. Anything not necessary to make the car accelerate, decelerate, or handle better is stripped from the vehicle. Street Fighters are Pro-Touring counter-culture at its best; drivability is sacrificed for performance and function. In the simplest of fashions, Street Fighters can be equated to street legal race cars.
I guess this is a g-machine thread then! No cup-holders allowed!

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Touring C3s

Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I built mine around the "original" pro touring idea...think of cars like "big red" or Mark Stielow's "mule". That is older cars with upgardes to enhance performance, so less weight, bigger wheels/tires, engines, transmissions, brakes, suspension, aero mods ,etc. Its where function came first, not the bling. Over the past 7 or 8 years the big "hot rod" shops jumped on the band wagon and started producing these billet aluminum and chrome encrosted blingy muscle cars with oversize wheels that they label pro-touring but are far from what it started as.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Madhatr
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454

This is where I would like to head with my car.... no carpet or interior trim (done), aluminum door panels (in the works), a well designed 'cage (frame is tweaked, which is the only reason it hasn't been done yet).... but my wife and I do like my custom in-console cup holder. So I guess, I'm out...
Old 08-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Madhatr
This is where I would like to head with my car.... no carpet or interior trim (done), aluminum door panels (in the works), a well designed 'cage (frame is tweaked, which is the only reason it hasn't been done yet).... but my wife and I do like my custom in-console cup holder. So I guess, I'm out...
Again- I'm not accepted in any "group".....

Especially since my custom cup holder is electrically heated AND cooled!!!

DSCN5117 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Quick Reply: Pro Touring C3s