C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side pipes on C3s... how easy is it to burn your legs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Have headers / pipes getting ceramic coated as we speak , and im going to make me some aluminum custom shields as well ..

Last edited by Brack c; 08-30-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:46 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Factory side pipes and COVERS are no issue .

The covers and pipes if installed correctly have no issue I have seen in 7 years mine have been on.

The Factory style covers get warm at most. Never seen mine even hot to touch.

My issue with the pipes is making an already tricky car to,jack to up even more of a challenge , but you get use how to best beat the issues of raising the car .

Those aftermarket pipes look sorta dangerous , exposed , no covers , not a great idea for street and friends .......ok for racing ...off road
Old 08-30-2015, 01:49 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Anyone selling aluminium covers for aftermarket side pipes?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 AM
nivensid
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Problem solved....
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 10:43 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Docbrock
My wife sees side pipes and cringes. She is afraid of burning her legs when she gets in and out. Is this a real issue?
If you use the aftermarket big chrome stovepipe ones they sure will & they are UGLY.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:39 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
If you use the aftermarket big chrome stovepipe ones they sure will & they are UGLY.

Sorry, but I dont think this is ugly.
The following users liked this post:
Fishinnut (01-05-2024)
Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
Hope he means the burns are ugly and not the pipes.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Why? Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Some people only like what came from the factory...and some people don't like side pipes at all. I thought that free speech was permitted on this forum.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Like so many other issues on this forum the opinions differ. I love my side pipes. I like how they look and how they sound and working underneath the car is a lot easier than before. However, heat is an issue and I have the scar to prove it. I would love to have a set of covers like nivensid has on his but at over $500 it's just not in my budget. If I could find some good looking covers at a decent price I'd go for them!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:39 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by blunblk68
This is why i keep telling people to buy the ceramic coated ones!!!!! i have laid my shin and calve bare skinned several times felt the heat and moved before i got burnt !!!
If you do this with chrome or stainless and feel the heat its too late your gonna loose skin and have a huge blister!!!!!
yes they arent as shinny or fancy but id rather have dull and no burns and now thy have whats called a show shine which is very close to chrome!!!!
Yep, ceramic is a completely different story than the chrome or painted. I have touched the chrome pipe once with jeans on and felt the heat pretty quickly. Touched the ceramic wearing shorts, felt the heat and moved with no burn. No doubt it will burn but it is not at the same temp. We say "Hot Pipes" every time we shut the car down. So far so good.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 AM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Why? Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Some people only like what came from the factory...and some people don't like side pipes at all. I thought that free speech was permitted on this forum.
yes that is true mister advocate for free speach but maybe some people should follow the old rule of thumb (if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all) just my honest opinion!

ceramic ceramic ceramic!!!!! no burny thats a good thing lol

Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blunblk68
yes that is true mister advocate for free speach but maybe some people should follow the old rule of thumb (if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all) just my honest opinion![/IMG][/URL]
That is how I was taught, but that was a long time ago. Unfortunately, the internet and "social" media has changed the rules of common courtesy and turned normal discourse into some sort of an attack video game. People say whatever they want because they don't have to say it to the person's face. Hey..all internet forums are irritating. The constant NCRS bashing on this forum makes me wonder why I even bother to waste my time logging in and trying to help others. Most older NCRS guys have been driven away by a younger, possibly envious, definitely less courteous hot rod crowd. Being referred to as "****" is just the tip of the iceberg. I always thought birds of a feather flocked together, but evidently C3 owners do not have that much in common. Maybe the moderators should segregate it into two separate forums?

The above rant is just my honest opinion. Have a great day!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
I did mean the burns. I had a Corvette that had the chrome big stovepipe side exhaust & a girl that was riding with me got out & burned both of her calves that blistered. I am NOT a fan of those kind of pipes for the looks either but to each his own its your car.. I have 2 67's with factory side exhaust & I love the sound.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

To me a c3 must be a convertible have a big block a stick and side pipes....

Very nasty thing to get a side pipe bite, when I swapped the 383 for the 454 the pipes were wrapped in that gross ugly wrap but I love it now as it adds to the road race look I desire and you can grab a hot pipe,
Now I see it in designer colors on ebay, not everyones cup o tea but I find the side shields ugly tacked on looking and the stock covers are great looking but not the same as a set of hookers.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

With Hooker-style sidepipes, a shield should be a required purchase.

Meaning: There are FOUR parts to a proper Hooker-style sidepipe system. The headers, the sidetubes, the baffles, and the SHIELDS.

Even if you never burn yourself because you really are that awesome, it would be an equally bad day (or worse) to have your passenger get themselves.

As careful as I was, I got myself a few times. My "shield day" was when my (then) 7 YO daughter touched the sidetubes even though I had her stand up in the seat and me pick her up out of the car. I STILL burned her somehow.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM
blunblk68
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

im all for ncrs and or insanely modified like my car perhaps whatever a persons preferance is i enjoy the look of pretty much any old car bone stock mint original vette or highly modded or any other car for that matter if its older than 1982.
I just seems to me alot of people use the net or car forums to bash other peoples car or ideas cause its easy to be a childish (bully) behind a computer.
meant no disrespect to anyone just kinda gets under my skin rant over!!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Sooner-C3
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read on other side pipe posts that wrapping the muffler insert with header wrap keeps the outside of the pipes from becoming branding irons. Is this not correct?

Get notified of new replies

To Side pipes on C3s... how easy is it to burn your legs.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

It is very easy to burn your legs. You just need to be careful. I have not burnt my legs yet nor has any of my passengers. Told my my and kids. Stay in car till I come around and open the door for them. Then I make sure their legs clear. Most the time, I just pick up my kids out of the car so there are no issues. Or you can do as others and but covers.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Never say never. Been riding motorcycles for 50 years. Then this happened...and my Harley has shields on the pipes. This one time, my leg did not have jeans or boots and managed to find the piece of pipe without the shield. Imagine that. Only took 1 second and so far it has been 6 weeks of pain and suffering.
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

i am enjoying this thread. more burn pics please.

Quick Reply: Side pipes on C3s... how easy is it to burn your legs.