C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whi is perfectly fine to not have ABS in our classic cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:47 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default whi is perfectly fine to not have ABS in our classic cars?

so what if my brakes lock up.... when i want them and maybe when I don't.

I think it's the driver who stays out of trouble

you agree ABS is overrated?

I do....

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-29-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never much cared for ABS.

For one, it sounds like something's broken when it engages, at least on my truck. Like some kind of grinding sound (nothing's broken, I've checked. it just Sounds like it.)

I've never been in a situation where it has saved me, so I can't comment on that. However, I've been in quite a few unpleasant situations where the ABS kicked in and I'd rather it hadn't. Going into a slide on an icy road, I learned early on (in a non-ABS truck) how to steer while skidding using my brakes to help keep control. ABS completely screws that up.

So yeah, I agree with you: do not like
Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

ABS saves lives. Most people use a car as an appliance.

Most don't take the time to learn to brake on the edge of lockup. Hell I even went to a Mazda driving event. Of of the course was lock them up before the cone.

I would say about 75% of the people could even engage ABS and overshot.

Funny to watch but scary at the same time because I'm on the road with these people.

When I taught the kids to drive we practiced it so they know what it felt like and how to handle it.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I like having ABS on my truck because it gets driven in all conditions. I don't feel I need ABS on the 'vette, because I NEVER drive it in snow or ice, and only drive it on wet roads when I get caught in the rain. It's the bad weather times when ABS is useful. On clear days with the sun shining and the road nice and dry, I would rather have complete control of the brakes than turn over some of that control to a microchip.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Before ABS, I remember once when I approached an intersection, I was day dreaming, and the light had turned red. I slammed on my brakes and all four tires smoked and made the horrific screeching sound of locked wheels. From sound and sight, All the traffic stopped! I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection, and then drove forward...very much embarassed.

Before ABS, jamming on all four wheels so they smoke and scream, is ia good way to communicate that you're stopping.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

The purpose of ABS is to have steering during emergency braking. I had some factory training with Mercedes on a course set up to demonstrate the advantages.

It has also saved me in real life. It was raining when a was car coming in the opposite direction that made a left turn directly into my path. The driver panicked when she saw me coming and just stopped in the middle of the road. I was able to apply the brakes and steer around her. Without ABS the brakes would have locked up and I would have slid right into her a 50mph.

This was in my 95 Vette.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
The purpose of ABS is to have steering during emergency braking. I had some factory training with Mercedes on a course set up to demonstrate the advantages.

It has also saved me in real life. It was raining when a was car coming in the opposite direction that made a left turn directly into my path. The driver panicked when she saw me coming and just stopped in the middle of the road. I was able to apply the brakes and steer around her. Without ABS the brakes would have locked up and I would have slid right into her a 50mph.

This was in my 95 Vette.

not to sound like a dick, but i ride bikes and i would never allow myself to be in that position... that said, i am not saying you are not defensive, but on a bike there is no ABS, it's you in control or you out of control and dead... i choose control

chit does happens tho, i could be next.....

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-29-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:28 PM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In Houston, they use a white plastic material glued to the pavement for lines like crosswalks, lane stripes at intersections, even the left, straight and right turn arrows. When wet from rain, they are slick as ice. I have had my ABS kick in a few times when running over these while braking.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
not to sound like a dick, but i ride bikes and i would never allow myself to be in that position....
How do you avoid being in a position where a car coming from the opposite direction makes a left turn into your path?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

How do you avoid being in a position where a car coming from the opposite direction makes a left turn into your path?
or if was on my bike i would be dead or eating out of a tube for life

depending on the path, describe, the lanes and speed, traffic conditions, time of day, etc.

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-29-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I think ABS has it's place. Mostly for those who are not trained in vehicle dynamics. I drive patrol cars for a living and came on before ABS. I still threshold brake and rarely feel the ABS activate. I don't like ABS for anything but dry pavement. Slick surfaces, even on just one wheel will activate the whole system. Nothing like pulling off the road as you're right at the tipping point with the threshold breaking slowing down form top speed and the right side tires getting off of the pavement and the ABS system activating!!! It actually feels like you took your foot of the brake. Oh... and the motor cycle thing... much respect to you, as I ride also, but a lot of bikes these days have front ABS. Some have both front and rear. Our patrol bikes are BMW's and they just have front ABS.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

ABS would be great in certain situations. But, C3's didn't have them because they hadn't been invented yet. And, no one has put together a package to add them. (Probably couldn't afford such a package anyway; and you'd really goop up the engine compartment with all that stuff.) Also, pretty hard to put wheel sensors on C3 wheel bearings.

I'll just continue regulating the brakes with my foot, thank you.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Been driving ABS cars for years now. The only time they go off is on road conditions i would only drive my DD bomb.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I hate ABS ..

I want the ability to,lock,the brakes WHEN I want , not when a computer thinks it's time. ABS scares me .

I hate all items I don't not control ....it's my neck on the line .....I want to,be in charge when behind the wheel ....not the government ...I want have a switch to turn it off or disable it all this garbage or throw it in the dump . Less wires and electric garbage the better

200.00 tire pressure sensor stems .......all this is why I lol never own a C5 or up ....besides they are ugly cars ....I can't get past that either.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:12 AM
69bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Why is it ok to not have ABS in our classics? Because it didn't come with it and it's part of what I like about it..it's more me and machine than me and computer.

Is ABS overrated? No, it saves lives. You can't react and control as fast as that computer.

Just like riding motorcycles (which I have had most of my life but traded out my bikes for my vette) I accept that I am responsible for my safety and knowing what my machine can and cannot do. I know my vette doesn't have ABS or "new car handling" and I drive accordingly. When I was a kid I took pride in knowing just where that point in braking was that the tires were going to break loose. We all knew that the car won't steer while the tires are locked up. Just like learning motorcycle safety now I hope anyone from the ABS only era will take the time to learn what they need to know to operate these machines safely.

After saying this I too "know chit happens" but I accept the risk.....
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...The purpose of ABS is to have steering during emergency braking...
Correct, and it has worked the time or two when I've needed it. ABS does not lock brakes. It allows a computer controlled amount of wheel spin under hard braking until the car stops.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

ABS is pretty much aimed at keeping the lowest common denominator among all drivers "safe" in most panic situations. A really good driver can hold his own against, and even outperform the computer. (And, yes. I've actually seen this demonstrated in back-to-back tests under controlled conditions. ...and with a BMW, no less.)

However, what is overlooked is that when one does depart control the ability to lock the brakes is highly desirable so as to allow a driver to choose in what specific direction a car slides, rather than darting all over creation.

Bottom line: ABS may well save a lot of lives, but there are likely some incidents where it has unfortunately contributed to fatalities. Me, I prefer to take my chances without it on any car in which I intend to press the limits. YMMV

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 08-30-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To whi is perfectly fine to not have ABS in our classic cars?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I ride too- and regardless of where you are, if you see a cage, (car), you assume he's trying to kill you and act accordingly.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:21 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm not sure how a properly functioning ABS system could have fatalities attributed to it. How does preventing the wheels from locking up cause fatalities?

It does for most drivers what they cannot do for themselves. And, it eliminates the risk of a driver 'freezing up' with a panic reaction and locking up the brakes, which happens quite often.

Yes, a good track-racer can do the same thing without ABS: maybe just as well...maybe not. But, I would bet that 95% of the drivers on this Forum would benefit from having ABS on their C3's -- if they could get it.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:58 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TimAT
I ride too- and regardless of where you are, if you see a cage, (car), you assume he's trying to kill you and act accordingly.
exactly, it's a game, I expect every car that's on the road, is out to get me.

Quick Reply: whi is perfectly fine to not have ABS in our classic cars?