Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head light pops up when started?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default head light pops up when started?

Yeah, I know there is about 100 posts for headlight problems with vacuum diaphragms etc etc etc but I just want to know the direct answer to my question with out having to play Sherlock Holmes and print PDF vacuum diagrams to look for color codes that are not visible anymore on my hoses + I'm to lazy to do all that right now (at least I'm honest).

when I start the car the passenger side headlight goes up and stays up, the drivers side goes up and down when i turn the headlight switch or over ride switch on. I have vacuum at the center regulator, when I disconnect the vacuum the drivers side drops not the passenger side, so what need replacing?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:08 PM
DonnieP73
Burning Brakes

Received 518 Likes on 224 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You didn't say what year, but on my 73, I had the problem of the
headlights opening when I started and the problem was no vacuum
to one of the regulators. Make sure that you have vacuum to the top
small inlet on the regulators. When there is no vacuum there, that
is what opens the headlights. See the small lines to the two regulators
in the photo, that is the vacuum line I am referring to.

Donnie
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

YEP
Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sent you a PM

I can walk you through this tomorrow when I am at work if you care to.
I am too lazy to type out all the things you need to check and verify ...when a phone call will get it all handled in a fraction of the time ( at least I am honest)

This system is quite simple.

I will write this so you can at least verify it.

Assuming that what you are calling the 'center regulator' is actually the headlight actuator RELAY....and this is where 3 big hoses connect along with ONE small hose....CORRECT??

Well..if this is what you are calling the center regulator....look at them. Where the 3 hoses plug in...if you look and feel on the relay further down at the BOTTOM of the black plastic portion of the relay..you will see how it has been made into a square. IF you put a small vacuum hose to your near...when the engines running...and take the OTHER end of this hose and put it near or INTO this square are ON THE BOTTOM of the relay....so the hose will be going upwards...and you can hear a vacuum leak or serious hissing....that is a problem and the relay needs to be replaced...or should be replaced.

NOW...I can not be held liable if anyone tries this and is stupid enough to jamb a hose into their ear canal and then have vacuum suck their brains out....so those of you who choose to do this...please employ some common sense.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-30-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

DUB, you feel you have to state diclamers at us stupid people, why would anybody
jamb a hose in there ear, or suck there brains out with a vacume pump.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:19 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
DUB, you feel you have to state diclamers at us stupid people, why would anybody
Because DUB has a shop and there are people out there that will sue over just about anything.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Lyndwood
Pro

FYI- I never heard of using your ear but I was taught a trick a long time ago. when trying to find a vacuum or low vacuum I actually put the questioned hose to the inside of my lower lip, if there's vac it will suck & seal, if there is a little vac you will feel it attempting to make a seal since the inside of your lip is moist & very sensitive.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Simply put....'zwede' has replied to this question . Thanks zwede!

AND...where in my post did I mention anything about a VACUUM PUMP???? This is the reason why I often time spend time to try to literally 'spell it out' so there is no confusion....and it still occurs..

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
FYI- I never heard of using your ear but I was taught a trick a long time ago. when trying to find a vacuum or low vacuum I actually put the questioned hose to the inside of my lower lip, if there's vac it will suck & seal, if there is a little vac you will feel it attempting to make a seal since the inside of your lip is moist & very sensitive.
YES...you are correct if you are checking a hose to see if there is vacuum on it...BUT...

What I wrote does not apply to that method above....you are NOT checking a hose for vacuum.....because there is NO HOSE going to where you have to LISTEN for a leak...which I swear I clearly wrote how to check your actuator relay. The hose is a cheap easy form of a stethoscope.

DUB
Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Because DUB has a shop and there are people out there that will sue over just about anything.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

I know he has a shop, his diclamer analogy seems condescending, also diclamers do
not prevent law suits, they just insult you intelligence.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Giant_Robot
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know he has a shop, his diclamer analogy seems condescending, also diclamers do
not prevent law suits, they just insult you intelligence.
I'm just surprised he spelled condescending correctly.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Hey he helped me with my problem so I am grateful.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
Hey he helped me with my problem so I am grateful.
I am glad that my comments possibly aided you.

****on another note*****

I REALLY hate doing this....I really do.

I write what I write...the way I meant for it to be written. I do not care if I upset anyone...I DID NOT direct my comments to any ONE person directly.....because if a person has NO COMMON SENSE...then that person should NOT be preforming service repairs to a vehicle. And I can write this because I DO service repairs...and that is my opinion due to having employed many people...some who had COMMON SENSE..and others that were literally a LIABILITY!

If a person gets insulted in a comment that I wrote....I can not help that..because it is NOT my job to worry about what a person thinks of me. I DO NOT make it a practice to verbally attack people directly. That accomplishes NOTHING. And I am not about to write EVERY statement/comment to cover each and EVERY possibility of me offending someone or making someone feel insulted. AND WHAT IS TRULY SAD.....is the FACT that I even have to write disclaimers...because there are people out there who STILL need to be told that COFFEE is HOT!.....that ...is what is so SAD!

What I have found many times in the past and is proven in this post... I can type out my thoughts and when people read what I wrote.,...somehow...in their mind...they process what they read in a way where they reply.... adding 'words' that I did not write to their reply. And then people wonder why my comments may come across to some as condescending....go figure.

DUB
Old 08-31-2015, 07:20 PM
DonnieP73
Burning Brakes

Received 518 Likes on 224 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

DUB,
You are very helpful and most appreciate your knowledge and experience.
I for one have needed your advice and very thankful for your input.
Before retirement, I had to deal with many workers, and learned there
is no way you can help and please all.
Again, thank you for your help.

Donnie

Get notified of new replies

To head light pops up when started?

Quick Reply: head light pops up when started?