Warm Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:57 PM
68vxm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm Idle Problem

Warm Idle Problem

Bit of a long story here to explain a current problem that's baffling me.

1968 Vette with a mild 350 (my apologies to the purists). Stock Quadrajet, stock intake.

The car developed a hot restart problem some time ago. Acted like it was flooded. I was due for a carb rebuild, so I took it to a good carb shop. No change. I installed a 5/8” spacer, and that solved the problem. My old car still uses the bi-metallic coil choke, so I made a new (longer) choke rod to account for the spacer. The choke sets correctly, the car starts easy, and fast-idles well when cold. The choke releases correctly, but when it gets warm, the car stumbles, won’t idle below 1000, and dies.

The attached pic shows the carb warmed up – choke released. Note that the choke plate on top of the carb is entirely vertical. If I close the choke plate to something less than vertical when it’s warm, the idle improves, but I have to close it a lot. I thought this might suggest a mixture problem, but I couldn’t resolve this issue with a mixture screw adjustment.

I can’t find any vacuum leaks, timing looks correct, and the plugs look good. I’m out of ideas. I’m no expert, so I suspect other ideas exist.

Please let me know what you think. Convertible weather is on the way, and I want to be ready!

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 05:14 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The Rochesters and Carters (now Edelbrock) get leaner when the mixtures are opened and richer when closed so you might try turning the screws in a turn or so. Or about 1-1/2 to 2 turns from bottomed out.

Quick Reply: Warm Idle Problem