Sponsored by:

Its Times Like These That Make It Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:00 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Its Times Like These That Make It Worth It

I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon yesterday morning and as I pulled into the parking lot a guy gave me a "thumbs up" sign. Then when I was talking to my neurosurgeon he asked me what I did to scratch my forearms up so bad and I told him I have three C3 Corvettes that I tinker with; a '68 454" and 4-speed, a '71 with 454" and automatic, and an '82. He asked me if I brought one and I said "yes, the '71" He wanted to see it so we walked out of his office and spent about 30 minutes at my car. Then this morning when I was coming back from getting groceries in the valley a guy in a one-ton service truck pulled alongside me on the highway and gave me a "thumbs up" sign.

Its times like these that make all the hard work and expense worth it.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Yes it makes it all worth while. Was at a car show today with my 78. Didn't win anything other than a $25 gas card. What made my day was the compliments from other participants, especially those with some very nice cars.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Best feeling about owning a classic
Old 08-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Logan176
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I normally don't take my car to shows because it's more of a driver, but I do like taking out to cruise nights at local diners and such. As I was talking with a buddy of mine last week, I saw someone take a picture of my car. To the best of my knowledge, that was the first time anyone other than me has done that. I fought back a grin until I was on my way home.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yeah. But wait till you get the bill from the neurosurgeon for that extra 30 minutes of 'office visit'.....
Old 08-30-2015, 05:04 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Yeah. But wait till you get the bill from the neurosurgeon for that extra 30 minutes of 'office visit'.....

The point I was making is even neurosurgeons can love these old classics.

And besides that my Medicare and AARP pays my medical expenses. My total monthly expenses around $250 but in today's world you don't dare go uninsured.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I had my '70 LS-5 at a local cruise-in Friday night. I was parked between an '02 vert and a '65 coupe along with several other Vettes at the event. I noticed a young boy (probably around 12 years old) kept walking around my car and observing every small detail (especially the engine compartment). Finally, he turned to his dad and said "That's BADASS". Just when you think the younger generation doesn't "get" our cars, some future gearhead will surprise you! I chuckle every time that I think about that lad and his comment. He definitely made my day.

Jim
Attached Images   
Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Ben N
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup, it sure is gratifying, to get kudos along our journey!

Ben N
Old 08-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille
...I noticed a young boy (probably around 12 years old) kept walking around my car and observing every small detail (especially the engine compartment). Finally, he turned to his dad and said "That's BADASS"...
Is the kid intending to go to med school to become a neurosurgeon?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon yesterday morning and as I pulled into the parking lot a guy gave me a "thumbs up" sign. Then when I was talking to my neurosurgeon he asked me what I did to scratch my forearms up so bad and I told him I have three C3 Corvettes that I tinker with; a '68 454" and 4-speed, a '71 with 454" and automatic, and an '82. He asked me if I brought one and I said "yes, the '71" He wanted to see it so we walked out of his office and spent about 30 minutes at my car. Then this morning when I was coming back from getting groceries in the valley a guy in a one-ton service truck pulled alongside me on the highway and gave me a "thumbs up" sign.

Its times like these that make all the hard work and expense worth it.
For sure!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:48 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hot Rod Grille
I had my '70 LS-5 at a local cruise-in Friday night. I was parked between an '02 vert and a '65 coupe along with several other Vettes at the event. I noticed a young boy (probably around 12 years old) kept walking around my car and observing every small detail (especially the engine compartment). Finally, he turned to his dad and said "That's BADASS". Just when you think the younger generation doesn't "get" our cars, some future gearhead will surprise you! I chuckle every time that I think about that lad and his comment. He definitely made my day.

Jim
Kid has good taste in cars! He`s right. That car is Badass!
H
Old 08-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Logan176
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by homestead
Kid has good taste in cars! He`s right. That car is Badass!
H
Ahh... If only I had the time and money to make my engine bay look that nice.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan176
I normally don't take my car to shows because it's more of a driver, but I do like taking out to cruise nights at local diners and such. As I was talking with a buddy of mine last week, I saw someone take a picture of my car. To the best of my knowledge, that was the first time anyone other than me has done that. I fought back a grin until I was on my way home.
I've noticed over the past couple of years, the interest in our cars at cruise-ins has really picked up. I've noticed recently, women really seem intrigued by the C3's. I saw several at Friday nights cruise-in call their husbands over to look at the car. I love cruise-ins, after I retired I swore off competing for anything, hence, car shows are a turn off for me. I don't have to beat or be better than anybody. If God and my wife are ok with me, that's all I need!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

In today's world of every 4 door car looking the same (even the technologically marvelous electric Tesla) or all the crossovers that look plain butt ugly, or all the super cars that look more like transformers, or even many of the old muscle cars...the C3 stands out in the crowd. The car actually has style...a creative work of art...pure genius. Heck, I even had a guy speed past me, pull up to the light, hang his head out the window with a video camera and record me coming up alongside. I had a female cop pull up next to me at a light...thought for sure I was in trouble for either the loud pipes or something I just did...just to ask me what year it was and told me how great the car looked. The ultimate was one of numerous honks at a light...which turned out to be a grey-haired old lady giving me a thumbs up. When you are as old and wrinkled as me, you know it's the car. Down here in Miami, I bet you could go out and get a Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, C7 or whatever... and 999/1000 people wouldn't even notice it. We all know why we are C3 crazy.

PS - As an afterthought...maybe it's the yellow paint? My dad told me never buy a yellow car because he owned one and it was the only reason he could think of why other people kept running into him.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 08-30-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I guess yet again I am an odd fellow I built my car to make me happy not to brag and feel happy about getting praise for it,

But if it makes you happy for your car to get praised then you sure won that day....

But more important I hope your health concerns work out as well as the car praising did....

Get notified of new replies

To Its Times Like These That Make It Worth It

Quick Reply: Its Times Like These That Make It Worth It