Sponsored by:

Car Values

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Originally Posted by dtamustang
is it any wonder that c3s are not worth what other cars of the same era are worth , when all you read on the internet is .....the brakes are junk , trailing arms are a nightmare , 10,00.00 for a decent paint job , a/c is worthless , if it not numbers matching its worth 20-50% less , parts are overpriced , they parts you buy don't fit , suspension needs to be upgraded , they all overheat unless you buy an aluminum radiator and the list goes on and on. people read this kind of stuff and get a really bad impression of the cars and are understandably reluctant to put any money in one.
BUT...all of those statements apply to 68 to 73 cars and even more so to anything older. and everybody wants those...
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Originally Posted by bj1k
Some people still love the rubber bumper cars and I include myself in that group , they are all real Corvettes as long as they were built before 1984 .
oh, you mean those camaros with the back seats removed?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:43 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
The law of supply and demand applies to everything. I heard this Wayne character on Chasing Classic Cars say something like "It's nice to have something that others want and can't have."
The $600K L-88 is a trophy for someone. They're not buying it for it's performance, you could buy a modern Corvette which will greatly outperform this one or build an exact duplicate of that car for far less money. The price gets bid up that high as some compete to buy that rare, desirable car for a collection.
I recall Jaguar is building (or already has) some brand new 'E' types from leftover inventory. They'll be identical to the ones originally built but I doubt they'll fetch as much $$ as an original. They may get some boost from a limited number being produced. Most likely destined to be part of a collection, not for driving.

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
I have had the good fortune of being allowed to drive a real '67 L88 (they are selling for almost $4 million now) and possibly the lowest mileage, unrestored, real '68 L88 and let me tell you, I would rather drive my '69 L36...which some know-it-all racers on this forum refer to as a "lump" or "junkyard truck" motor. Massaged to over 500 torque at 3125 rpm, it will blow most minds coming out of the hole. At least I don't have to worry about it overheating in traffic, paying $12 per gallon for race fuel, or some idiot rear ending me while sending that all important text message.
Yup, I much prefer my big block over a small block (owned both over the years) though I can't say mine will blow any minds coming out of the hole, still working on it.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

the market has dictated that chrome bumper cars are worth more , for a lot of different reasons ,right or wrong that is the market.
for lack of a better way to put it , chrome cars are worth the effort and money put in to them , you stand a better chance of not being upside down when you are done. to not be upside down in a rubber car you have to get a fire sale deal on one. that , i think is the root of the lower prices.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Originally Posted by BBCorv70

Yup, I much prefer my big block over a small block (owned both over the years) though I can't say mine will blow any minds coming out of the hole, still working on it.
change rear gears and tires and you will blow a lot of minds...and driveshafts, pinion gears...and yes, that 600k car is a trophy, but aren't ALL of these cars trophies of a sort? only my 75 is a little league trophy, not the lombardy trophy...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
change rear gears and tires and you will blow a lot of minds...and driveshafts, pinion gears...and yes, that 600k car is a trophy, but aren't ALL of these cars trophies of a sort? only my 75 is a little league trophy, not the lombardy trophy...
Change rear gears to what? I have 3:70 gears installed at this time...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 AM
derekderek
Race Director

oh, i thought it said 3.35's. and i am not suggesting any actual changes. was just saying you have enough torque to do REALLY BAD THINGS to your rear driveline if you chose to...
Old 09-03-2015, 11:04 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
oh, you mean those camaros with the back seats removed?

Quick Reply: Car Values