Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torx size for seatbelt removal???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:09 PM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default torx size for seatbelt removal???

I am getting ready to replace my carpet and wondered if anyone knows what size torx hold the seatbelts in place...
thanks
chris
Old 09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisviktorjakematt
I am getting ready to replace my carpet and wondered if anyone knows what size torx hold the seatbelts in place...
thanks
chris
I think it's a T50, that's the size for the door striker and think the two bolts are the same.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I could not jam a 50 in, had to settle for a 47. But maybe had too much rust...lol.
Better to use the 50 to prevent stripping!
Old 09-02-2015, 02:15 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikem350
I could not jam a 50 in, had to settle for a 47. But maybe had too much rust...lol.
Better to use the 50 to prevent stripping!
Hmm never seen a 47.. They usually go up in 5 increments.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

T47 Torx is out here I have it in my sleeve of Snap-On sockets.

https://store.snapon.com/TORX-174-Sp...7-P636916.aspx

I will write this.....DO NOT ASSUME that these Torx bolts will come out easily. Being at the door jamb...and depending on the year model....they can get seized in place. And the LAST thing you want to to cause the square nut that it welded to the floor pan to spin and break free. The Torx bolts at hand brake area are generally not an issue due to rust....but the threads on the underside and get all clogged up with crap...so ...do not assume that they will come out easily.

DUB
Old 09-02-2015, 08:41 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB

I will write this.....DO NOT ASSUME that these Torx bolts will come out easily. Being at the door jamb...and depending on the year model....they can get seized in place. And the LAST thing you want to to cause the square nut that it welded to the floor pan to spin and break free. The Torx bolts at hand brake area are generally not an issue due to rust....but the threads on the underside and get all clogged up with crap...so ...do not assume that they will come out easily.

DUB
Thanks for the FYI DUB. That's probably why I've never seen one. To rich for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
thanks for the heads up. the car is in very clean shape with only 43000mi . I will hit the bolts with penetrating oil before I mess with them and hopefully all will go well.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:54 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

LISLE sells the T-47 socket by itself or in a set for a reasonable price. Try NAPA.
I do not know if Craftsman makes a T-47. Lou.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by alconk
Thanks for the FYI DUB. That's probably why I've never seen one. To rich for me.
YEAH...unfortunately I need to have tools that hold up. In the past when I opened my doors 30 years ago...I had Craftsman tools which worked fairly well....but as time went on....I realized that many of these tools would not do the job...and it did not matter if they were new. It was how they were made....in regards to the wall thickness of the box end wrenches being to thick and not allowing them to fit in super tight spots.. and the sockets that would split due to being too thin.

What will get a person attention faster than anything is that when they are using a tool and it fails and then damages the fastener that they are trying to get out....and then spend hours trying to get it out...further damaging it. When having a quality tool would have more than likely worked in the first place. I only am writing this is because I have LIVED this scenario...and I know the difference....and got taught a valuable lesson from the 'school of hard knocks'. So if the difference in cost from one socket manufacturer to another is 20+ dollars.....well if I spend 20 minuted fighting with getting the fastener out due to using a lower quality tool that is failing or damaging the fastener...I am LOOSING money. I know most DIY'ers do not consider their time into the equation for a repair....so my perspective is a bit different because I have to consider my time. Obviously...use what ever tool that you feel will work for you. I am NOT trying to push Snap-On...just using it as an example.

DUB
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Dub,

My Father was a mechanic many years ago (like 70) in the military before he was promoted to the commissioned ranks. He died in the late 1960s. I have many of his tools. You can't break them! I don't know what brand they are.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Snap-on and craftsman have the same lifetime guarantee. Only with craftsman you are guaranteed to use the guarantee.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

the torx tool (45) is most likely going to strip the bolts on the outside no matter what lube product that you douse them with. Douse it anyway. That's Just how it is if there is even minor rust. Even vice grips or a pipe wrench and a torch will be hit or miss.

I ended up buying a drill-mounted cutting wheel from my auto parts store for two bucks. I cut two sides into it that I could get my vice grips to bite on. Then, upon re-installation I put the inside bolts on the formerly seized outside bolts because they are visible, unlike the inside bolts which are hidden below the seats. I installed new, hardened steel bolts and copper sleeves (to keep the exposed threads from contacting the female belt) from my local hardware store.

The carpet went in well. Good luck.

Dave
Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Snap-on and craftsman have the same lifetime guarantee. Only with craftsman you are guaranteed to use the guarantee.
I was a Sears hardware salesman for about 3 years (in college). Ive seen more Craftsman tools come and go than anybody. What many people refuse to believe is that some larger companies (S&K) actually produce Snappy AND Crapsman hand tools. Its been almost 15 years, but the ones in particular I remember were their wrenches. (you dont even WANT to know who makes -or made- all the top end electrical stuff back then. Black and Decker was making Dewalt, Bosch and Ryobi were the same.....

I can tell you that older Craftsman Ratchets break all the time. Screwdriver blades twist and snap. I only saw a few cracked sockets and not a single broken combination wrench.

For the lighter duty stuff (small screwdrivers, 1/4 drive ratchets) I could never justify what Snappy charges. I also despised the fact the salesman just made up his own prices. (New guy= highest prices)

But, Ill say this....Craftsman products have gone to **** in the last 5 years. They have begun selling non warranty tools cleverly hidden among the regular stuff. They have even rescinded their 'lifetime warranty' on such hand tools as tape measures. (Take a lifetime tape back to them and you get a '1 year' warranty back in exchange.) Add to this the fact that they are closing stores left and right.....Im wondering what Im going to do with all my Crapsman stuff in 10 years when they have gone bankrupt....
Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74
Dub,

My Father was a mechanic many years ago (like 70) in the military before he was promoted to the commissioned ranks. He died in the late 1960s. I have many of his tools. You can't break them! I don't know what brand they are.
Paul,

Man-oh-man. I am a 'tool *****'. Old tools made back in the WWII era and shortly after it are something that I really like. I have some old tools that are my prized tools. They were built stout.

DUB
Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Craftsman's older ratchets, with the "twist the top" to reverse, are super strong. Then they came out with the new, pretty polished chrome, little lever to reverse one's, that are NOT that strong.
I worked in maintenance in an automotive parts plant for 34 years, until it was closed in 2007. We had to rebuild a lot of Snap-On half inch drive ratchets at work for everyone there.
I was at Sears a couple of times and people would tell me that they would purposely break a good Craftsman tool, just to get a brand new one.
I think EASCO made the good ratchets that I talked about, for Sear's. Lou.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Paul,

Man-oh-man. I am a 'tool *****'. Old tools made back in the WWII era and shortly after it are something that I really like. I have some old tools that are my prized tools. They were built stout.

DUB
Dub,

My tools are not terribly organized as I can't wrench as I used to do. Time takes a toll. But these examples are many years old. When is the last time you saw a vice "Made in England"?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Paul,

DUB
Dub, what are some of your favorite pre/post WWII tools? Straightforward wrenches/sockets, or something unique?

Get notified of new replies

To torx size for seatbelt removal???

Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I find the quality of Snap On tools the last few years to be real garbage, they are making a lot of stuff in China now, sad really. Sold now at Sams Club, Ace Hardware, all branding based now. I have switched to Mac tools and have been happy, good quality.
Craftsman has been crap since the late 90s, all from China now. I worked at a Sears Hardware store and was able to buy at great prices the older style "quality" stuff they had. Do you guys remember that the sold ratchet rebuild kits for 1 cent, most guys would buy the rebuild kit, rather than exchange for a new one. I recently turned in a bag of broken Craftsman tools I had and exchanged it for the "Crapsman" style now.
But I got to say the Snap On socks though are really good, especially if you wear work boots all day.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Dub, what are some of your favorite pre/post WWII tools? Straightforward wrenches/sockets, or something unique?
Sockets, wrenches and some cast hand tools. Old stuff that is really rugged.

Originally Posted by midigike
I find the quality of Snap On tools the last few years to be real garbage, they are making a lot of stuff in China now, sad really. Sold now at Sams Club, Ace Hardware, all branding based now. I have switched to Mac tools and have been happy, good quality.
Craftsman has been crap since the late 90s, all from China now. I worked at a Sears Hardware store and was able to buy at great prices the older style "quality" stuff they had. Do you guys remember that the sold ratchet rebuild kits for 1 cent, most guys would buy the rebuild kit, rather than exchange for a new one. I recently turned in a bag of broken Craftsman tools I had and exchanged it for the "Crapsman" style now.
But I got to say the Snap On socks though are really good, especially if you wear work boots all day.
It seems that the 'powers that be'....chose to have stuff made in the land of rice. It sucks...but I am not necessarily 'married to' Snap-On. I have tools from a vast majority of the tools manufactures.

DUB
Old 09-06-2015, 08:01 PM
chrisviktorjakematt
Advanced

Default torx size

Originally Posted by alconk
I think it's a T50, that's the size for the door striker and think the two bolts are the same.
you are correct it is a 50 thanks for the help

Quick Reply: torx size for seatbelt removal???