Sponsored by:

68 parking brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default 68 parking brake question

The previous owner of my 68 removed and discarded all of the internal parts of the parking brake assembly and put the rotor back on so he could sell the car. I am OK with installing the new parts, except I can not find any diagram with a good view of how the little actuating pivot/lever attached to the cable goes thru the backing plate and engages the brake shoe. I can position it properly thru the slot in the backing plate, but what anchors it in place? I can't believe it just flops around there. Is there a small pivot bracket that I am missing? Does anyone have a good photo? I have what's in the manual and some forum and on-line photos, but not in the correct view.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

http://keenparts.com/pages/Catalog3....=5002&year=ALL

The lever does just sit there. It is held in place when it is correctly set to the shoes...and the notch in the backing plate keeps it from twisting. The special upper spring hold the upper park brake shoes to the lever.

Hopefully this helps....and to keep it consistent....the adjuster wheel can go in either way...but to be CORRECT...you want to install it so when you roll the wheel UPWARDS....it extends the adjuster.

DUB
Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default parking brake

Originally Posted by DUB
http://keenparts.com/pages/Catalog3....=5002&year=ALL

The lever does just sit there. It is held in place when it is correctly set to the shoes...and the notch in the backing plate keeps it from twisting. The special upper spring hold the upper park brake shoes to the lever.

Hopefully this helps....and to keep it consistent....the adjuster wheel can go in either way...but to be CORRECT...you want to install it so when you roll the wheel UPWARDS....it extends the adjuster.

DUB
DUB- thanks. I did my first brake job over 50 years ago and can't remember ever seeing a pkg brake mechanism without some kind of pivot point that was secured, which is why I asked the question. I did notice the shoes pressed against the lever. At least I do not have to track down and buy another part! As I was looking for a better picture than in my repair manual I found a post and comment not to buy the stainless steel brake shoes, because the lining thickness and curvature of the ss shoes was a bad fit for the rear rotor/ pkg brake drum. Wish I had seen that before spending the extra $$$ for my shiny SS brake shoes. RA

Get notified of new replies

To 68 parking brake question

Quick Reply: 68 parking brake question