Sponsored by:

painting fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM
edthegreat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting fuel lines

What is the right color to paint the fuel lines on our 69 Corvette?
We tried using Rustoleum galvanized but the paint isn't sticking very well. Is it OK to paint them black? One is old. One is new.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

The fuel lines were not painted at the factory. All depends on what your intentions are for the car. You will get many answers on this forum.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've known of patient Vette lovers who have used 4-000 steel wool and or Scotch Brite pads on the lines to get them back to a "left the factory" metal look. They then cleared coated them. Don't know if they used flat or satin, I know it wasn't gloss, and they looked pretty darn good. But as the course in any hands-on Corvette work, proceed at your own risk. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi eg,
The original fuel and brake lines on a 69 chassis were made of TBW (Tinned Bundy Weld) tubing.
The 'Tin' plating was used to help protect the steel tubing from rusting.
If I were trying to duplicate the appearance I'd consider RT's method.
I'm afraid though that the installation of the restored lines would damage the protective paint surface in so many places that the protection it afforded would likely be compromised.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 AM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Alan is right-on (as usual) about damaging the paint surface. My Bud loosened the hold down clips and slipped a heavy weight paper under the lines so as not to damage the frame paint or cover it in clear coat. The main thing I learned in my sophomoric efforts to freshen" things up a bit while the engine was out is this: If it takes two hours to protectively tape off and isolate what needs to be painted, do it, do it if it takes three days. Results will amaze you if Mr. Patience is your friend.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If it were me (and I wanted them painted), I would wire brush them [bench grinder w/brush or power drill] then give them a couple of coats of clear lacquer.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Steel wool or scotch brite pad as mentioned earlier works very well! I had the lines off the car and used steel wool. Didn't take long at all and you would think they are brand new. Sprayed a few coats of clear, good to go.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

****PROFESSIONAL PERSPECTIVE*****

I often times get asked to do this on some Corvettes. And the first thing I do is to remove the fuel hose at the front and rear and take a good look on the inside of the fuel line...and the sending unit also. IF I see any rust build up or issues where it can possibly lead to a failure ...down the road...I replace them. No need in taking any chances. The fuel delivery system should not be compromised in any way...in my opinion.

If the fuel lines past a visual test. I invite the customer to come to the shop and do it themselves....so they save the money. In 90+% of the cases....they get started and then a couple hours later after scrubbing and cleaning the lines, clamps and bolts and not happy a what they are looking at... they reconsider and have me order in and buy new lines.

DUB
Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
****PROFESSIONAL PERSPECTIVE*****

I often times get asked to do this on some Corvettes. And the first thing I do is to remove the fuel hose at the front and rear and take a good look on the inside of the fuel line...and the sending unit also. IF I see any rust build up or issues where it can possibly lead to a failure ...down the road...I replace them. No need in taking any chances. The fuel delivery system should not be compromised in any way...in my opinion.

If the fuel lines past a visual test. I invite the customer to come to the shop and do it themselves....so they save the money. In 90+% of the cases....they get started and then a couple hours later after scrubbing and cleaning the lines, clamps and bolts and not happy a what they are looking at... they reconsider and have me order in and buy new lines.

DUB

If there is any type of surface rust or question on the quality of the line, it's not worth it. In my case, the lines were just dull with no signs of rust inside or out (still filled with good gasoline that was drained and checked with no signs of water) It literally took 10 minutes or less to run my hand of steel wool back and forth down the line a few times and brighten them up. They received new clamps and hardware.

I would not waste the time with any scrubbing or grinding of rust.

(Although 100% confident with the quality of the fuel lines, the brake lines were in similar condition but were replaced with stainless steel)

Get notified of new replies

To painting fuel lines

Quick Reply: painting fuel lines