C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980: What is the trick for installing seat hinge cover acorn nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default 1980: What is the trick for installing seat hinge cover acorn nuts?

OK, I get it these acorn nuts are essentially decorative to cover up the hinge bolts with the covers. However, I can't seem to find the right 'tool' to press them over the exposed lengths of hinge bolts. I tried an 11/32" socket (or something close to that... been a couple weeks) on a 1/4" nut driver and a light rubber mallet and all I managed to do was smash the acorn nut and distort it. They don't 'thread' onto the bolts from what I can tell as I had to pry the old ones off (they were pretty stubborn so I figured the new would go on snug... not!).

I'm asking as I recently installed a new bottom seat shell on driver's side. I will be cleaning/repainting the hinge covers and buying (another) set of acorn nuts (12 per seat) to try and get this right. Will be pulling the seat out to do this as I am also installing new seat belts/retractors 'while I'm at it'.

Any help appreciated!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

They push on. I believe I used a 1/4 nut driver and only hand pressure.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

mike is right. I used a deep well socket that was small and just pushed them on.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:02 AM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am convinced that the openings on these repro acorn nuts are too big. The old ones push on tightly and stay on but the new ones just slide off and on and dont grab the posts at all. I called Corvette America about this and was told they sell hundreds of these and I was the only one with this problem. I convinced them to send me some replacements and they didnt stay on either. I tried bending the prongs inside the nuts to make them tighter but wasnt able to bend them without screwing up the acorn nut. The only way I could get them to stay on was to put a dab of Permatex silicone adhesive on each post and then install the acorn nuts. Probably a Bubba solution but it was the only way I could get them to hold.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

When I restored my clam shells I replaced the hinge bolts w/regular bolts and bought threaded chrome acorn nuts. That push on crap is just that, crap!
The following 2 users liked this post by gjohnson:
Stingre' (04-09-2017), Street Rat (03-17-2018)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:15 PM
StDomingos
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

My reproduction acorn nuts keep falling off too. I agree they are too loose.

I do like the threaded nut idea though. Might do that this winter.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

I use a squirrel driver............

j/k
needed a laugh today
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM
EIGHTY
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Replaced mine a while back and a few have fallen off since then. Poor design and bumpy roads don't mix!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
drron
4th Gear

Default Acorn nuts

Originally Posted by kaz1961
I am convinced that the openings on these repro acorn nuts are too big. The old ones push on tightly and stay on but the new ones just slide off and on and dont grab the posts at all. I called Corvette America about this and was told they sell hundreds of these and I was the only one with this problem. I convinced them to send me some replacements and they didnt stay on either. I tried bending the prongs inside the nuts to make them tighter but wasnt able to bend them without screwing up the acorn nut. The only way I could get them to stay on was to put a dab of Permatex silicone adhesive on each post and then install the acorn nuts. Probably a Bubba solution but it was the only way I could get them to hold.
Don't worry ,your not alone. I just got some from Corvette Mods and my nuts fall off too.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by kaz1961
I agree they are crap. I just push them on with my thumb. On my route 66 trip I lost half of them. I'll try the silicone.

Last edited by Big2Bird; 03-17-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:15 AM
drron
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I agree they are crap. I just them on with my thumb. On my route 66 trip I lost half of them. I'll try the silicone.
I used Flex Seal clear.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
OK, I get it these acorn nuts are essentially decorative to cover up the hinge bolts with the covers. However, I can't seem to find the right 'tool' to press them over the exposed lengths of hinge bolts. I tried an 11/32" socket (or something close to that... been a couple weeks) on a 1/4" nut driver and a light rubber mallet and all I managed to do was smash the acorn nut and distort it. They don't 'thread' onto the bolts from what I can tell as I had to pry the old ones off (they were pretty stubborn so I figured the new would go on snug... not!).

I'm asking as I recently installed a new bottom seat shell on driver's side. I will be cleaning/repainting the hinge covers and buying (another) set of acorn nuts (12 per seat) to try and get this right. Will be pulling the seat out to do this as I am also installing new seat belts/retractors 'while I'm at it'.

Any help appreciated!
Ted,

I had a couple of acorn nut casulties when I removed them to re-dye my seat's side-hinge covers. The ones that our forum supplier sponsors will work, but the nylon studs that they attach to probably shrink with age - and, the specs for the replacement parts probably slip with time. So, with each new acorn nut - and, they do look nice & shiny when replaced - take a pointed needle nose pliers and slightly flatten the leading edge at the nut opening that bites into the plastic stud. It works. Good luck.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To 1980: What is the trick for installing seat hinge cover acorn nuts?

Quick Reply: 1980: What is the trick for installing seat hinge cover acorn nuts?