Sponsored by:

Vin # and Tag number question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:31 PM
timstrong20
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vin # and Tag number question

I am looking at buying a 78 L48 corvette and I have been reading the forum (yes I am a newbie). I ready the 10 things to know and I have a question regarding this.....

RULE #9
Write down the VIN number and also the trim tag information to determine some of the options the car came with, such as interior color, exterior color, and engine information. It is also a good idea to bring a Black Book with you to check the correctness of the VIN, trin tag vs colors and engine data. Also, compare the numbers on the block to the VIN to determine if the engine came with the car or not. This might be a deal breaker to some, but might be what some others want. Also, try your hardest to bring someone who knows vettes, especially C3s, and can be your second set of eyes while you look at the car.

Is there a website I can use to put a Vin number and Tag number in to see if it is matching numbers??? Will it tell me the block number??? Where is the Tag number at again??? Still not quite sure what exactly all MATCHING Numbers is involved....Thanks for the help....
Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

[QUOTE=timstrong20;1590532340]

RULE #9
Write down the VIN number and also the trim tag information to determine some of the options the car came with, such as interior color, exterior color, and engine information. It is also a good idea to bring a Black Book with you to check the correctness of the VIN, trin tag vs colors and engine data. Also, compare the numbers on the block to the VIN to determine if the engine came with the car or not. This might be a deal breaker to some, but might be what some others want. Also, try your hardest to bring someone who knows vettes, especially C3s, and can be your second set of eyes while you look at the car.

Is there a website I can use to put a Vin number and Tag number in to see if it is matching numbers??? Will it tell me the block number???

Where is the Tag number at again?
The trim tag is located on the driver's side windshield post. Open the door and look at the bottom of the post and you should find a tag riveted to the post that is painted over. Get a good photo and post. We can confirm interior trim color and it includes the body build date...good stuff to know along the path to matching numbers determination.

Still not quite sure what exactly all MATCHING Numbers is involved....Thanks for the help....
Here's a link to a write-up on I did on my 1978 L48 M38 Silver Anniversary vette...an NCRS 5-star Bowtie car. It includes photos to illustrate what you should be looking for and includes Trim Tag, engine VIN derivative, transmission VIN derivative and even a yellow grease pencil three digit number on the passenger side underbody panel that is your body's job number...way too cool stuff. You learn this...you get an A and are well on your way to being a Corvette geek!

Tell us what you find...we'll tell you if its matching numbers.

1978 Matching Numbers.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I like to use this http://www.vettefacts.com/Default.aspx
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

A couple of sites to check for general information:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...1978/78id.html

Check on "1978 Corvette Tech" in the top right hand corner for additional info. Click on production & performance and you can read about rpo's.

Another site for numbers: http://corvette-world.com/page-2-Cor...fications.html

click on any in the right hand column.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Vin # and Tag number question

Quick Reply: Vin # and Tag number question