C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front speaker recommendations for 1980 . Mine are disintegrated .

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:27 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front speaker recommendations for 1980 . Mine are disintegrated .

I have a 1980 with an aftermarket pioneer radio circa 90's or so . First the front left speaker went out on me and today the right side went out .

Right now I just want to change out the front speakers which are Pioneer coaxials that are just disintegrating .

I went online and saw Pioneer coaxials but would rather get advise and possibly some model numbers so I get the right pair .

The bolt next to the windshield looks like it might be a PITA to get to .
Any advise there would also be great .

Down the road I will change everything out . I just have other things I would like to address first ...
Old 10-04-2015, 11:19 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The original speakers were just standard 4x6's. I'd buy what ever ones you like. The only issue you may run into is the magnet. The OEM Delco speakers had a rather small magnet. Most aftermarket speakers have a larger magnet, requiring a little playing around to get them to fit.

It's been years since I pulled speakers out of a dash, but I don't remember it being to tough to on bolt them. Depending on the fastener holding yours, a ratchet or 90 degree screw driver should be all you need.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

The front speakers are a 4 x 6. Believe it or not they are pretty easy to get to. I have found after numerous front speaker changes that I like a full range speaker in the front. The 4 x 6 co-axles sound to tinny. The full range gives you better clarity in my opinion for the front.

Now for that one little screw next to the windshield, I use a quarter-inch shallow socket and grip it with a pair of pliers to get the screw loose and then I walk it out with my fingers.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:59 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
The front speakers are a 4 x 6. Believe it or not they are pretty easy to get to. I have found after numerous front speaker changes that I like a full range speaker in the front. The 4 x 6 co-axles sound to tinny. The full range gives you better clarity in my opinion for the front.

Now for that one little screw next to the windshield, I use a quarter-inch shallow socket and grip it with a pair of pliers to get the screw loose and then I walk it out with my fingers.
I used a 7 mm open end wrench but your technique sounds good for that screw by the windshield .

Full range speaker , meaning woofer , coaxial , tweeter ???
Old 10-04-2015, 11:42 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i just bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262054585849?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I got a set of Pionneers and they are great .
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by cb98coupe
I used a 7 mm open end wrench but your technique sounds good for that screw by the windshield .

Full range speaker , meaning woofer , coaxial , tweeter ???

Once you start putting a speaker on top of another speaker as coaxles and triaxles are designed, you lose the base of the speaker and just wind up with a distorted sounding midrange and tinny lows.

Full range speaker meaning just a woofer....No Coaxial No Triaxial
Just like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSS-Audio-BRS46-Replacement-Speakers-4-x-6-50W-Full-Range-Speaker-/321840255515?hash=item4aef2c921b
NOTE: Even though the Polk Audio MM461P are co-axles, the speakers are not resting on top of each other so you still get the full rich sound of the woffer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-MM461P-2YR-WRNTY-4X6-300W-MARINE-FULL-RANGE-CAR-STEREO-SPEAKERS-SET-/171820179553?hash=item280147e061

Last edited by Douglas Mariani; 10-05-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:11 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

I went with Kicker 4x6's and they sound amazing...also have 4x6's in the kick plate 3" kickers in my Fiero headrests.

Having an 8" sub in the jack box really rounds out the sound. The entire car still looks stock inside (except for the amp rack on the back wall which is hard to see from the outside).

Ken
Old 10-05-2015, 04:13 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 1980 with an aftermarket pioneer radio circa 90's or so . First the front left speaker went out on me and today the right side went out .

Right now I just want to change out the front speakers which are Pioneer coaxials that are just disintegrating .

I went online and saw Pioneer coaxials but would rather get advise and possibly some model numbers so I get the right pair .

The bolt next to the windshield looks like it might be a PITA to get to .
Any advise there would also be great .

Down the road I will change everything out . I just have other things I would like to address first ...
I installed a pair of Pioneer coax 4x6 speakers. Work like a charm and under $50. Since then, I installed a custom press fit speaker box in rear compartment behind rear wheel wellswith a pair of 6x9 triaxial (Pioneer or Jensen I believe). Went with a nice Kenwood AM/FM/CD/ipod receiver with 50 watts per each of 4 channels. Sounds great.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Hey everyone , I went with the kicker 4x6's because the template looks about the same as the old pioneers I took out .

A few good ideas here . I am thinking about a sub in the jack area and mounting an amp in the back of the hatch area .

The custom box along the rear sounds nice also .

When I am ready , I just want to get some decent sound , nothing crazy .

Kenwood or Pioneer head unit , small subwoofer , couple of decent 6x9s and a decent amp .
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani
Once you start putting a speaker on top of another speaker as coaxles and triaxles are designed, you lose the base of the speaker and just wind up with a distorted sounding midrange and tinny lows.

Full range speaker meaning just a woofer....No Coaxial No Triaxial
Just like these

Boss Audio BRS46 Replacement Speakers 4" x 6" 50W Full Range Speaker 791489110389 | eBay

NOTE: Even though the Polk Audio MM461P are co-axles, the speakers are not resting on top of each other so you still get the full rich sound of the woffer

Polk Audio MM461P 2yr Wrnty 4x6" 300W Marine Full Range Car Stereo Speakers Set 747192114480 | eBay
I like those boss audio speakers . I ordered the kickers before I got back to this thread . Thanks for posting the pics ...
Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

sound is no longer my top priority, so anything with polypropylene, butyl rubber surrounds, 1" voice coils , piezo's is just fine with me....

and i have had good luck with Pyle Drivers in the past

next perhaps a head unit, with no subs and no amps and no rear speakers ( i deleted those, they were loose and will be projectiles in a small crash....)))/////
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

I like those boss audio speakers . I ordered the kickers before I got back to this thread . Thanks for posting the pics ...
Your Welcome
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

I am thinking about a sub in the jack area and mounting an amp in the back of the hatch area .
If you want an idea for the sub box have a look at mine.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-storage.html

Ken
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74Ken
If you want an idea for the sub box have a look at mine.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-storage.html

Ken
Thanks ken , I put in the kickers tonight and they sound wonderful . They make a really big difference . I crawled in the back and I see the original Delco 6x9's are back there .

I am going to bite the bullet and go to the local stereo shop and have them toss in a pair . This should also make a big difference .

My next step would be to get a new head unit with a sub but that will have to wait a while .

Boy this stuff gets addictive ... Thanks again .

Chris
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Yes it does.

A Previous owner cut holes into the back wall for the speakers and installed plastic bags to keep the water out (or maybe an stereo shop did). After fibre glassing in the holes I decided to put a false wall across the back to mount my amps. Everything looks like it is mounted to the back wall but it isn't.

From here you can see the initial set up.

I am looking for a matching Sony amp for the right hand side...Then the left 4 channel amp will be for the Front upper 4x6 Kickers and the lower 4x6 Kickers.

The newer right amp will be for the 3.5" Kickers in the headrest of the Fiero seats. The leather just arrived from Mr Mikes last week and I have not had any time to work on them yet, to many outdoor projects have to get wrapped up before it gets much colder.

I built some wall plates and riveted them in before mounting the speakers.

I may use the Alpine Amp for the sub but I am running out of room on the back wall. Maybe in the center compartment beside the sub? Not sure.

Yes you can say I am addicted. I have had the car for 3 years and this is the first year I have spent any decent money on it. I am sick and tired of fixing everyone else's cars in the family and not having any money left over for Violet. This year and next will be different.

Ken

BTW, the amp and deck were FREE. I have a Sony Master card and I used my points to get them. The Alpine I have had kicking around for 20 years...they are like 35.00 on ebay these days, almost bought another one from a guy in TX last year. The 4x6's were on sale last year for 1/2 price. The 8" Infinity sub came from my wife's Tahoe before we sold it, I paid 99.00 for it 4 years ago...again on sale.

Overall I think I have spent $300.00 on new parts/speakers for this car...it was all labor.
I may be addicted, but I'm also CHEAP
Old 10-10-2015, 11:14 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Yes it does.

A Previous owner cut holes into the back wall for the speakers and installed plastic bags to keep the water out (or maybe an stereo shop did). After fibre glassing in the holes I decided to put a false wall across the back to mount my amps. Everything looks like it is mounted to the back wall but it isn't.

From here you can see the initial set up.

I am looking for a matching Sony amp for the right hand side...Then the left 4 channel amp will be for the Front upper 4x6 Kickers and the lower 4x6 Kickers.

The newer right amp will be for the 3.5" Kickers in the headrest of the Fiero seats. The leather just arrived from Mr Mikes last week and I have not had any time to work on them yet, to many outdoor projects have to get wrapped up before it gets much colder.

I built some wall plates and riveted them in before mounting the speakers.

I may use the Alpine Amp for the sub but I am running out of room on the back wall. Maybe in the center compartment beside the sub? Not sure.

Yes you can say I am addicted. I have had the car for 3 years and this is the first year I have spent any decent money on it. I am sick and tired of fixing everyone else's cars in the family and not having any money left over for Violet. This year and next will be different.

Ken

BTW, the amp and deck were FREE. I have a Sony Master card and I used my points to get them. The Alpine I have had kicking around for 20 years...they are like 35.00 on ebay these days, almost bought another one from a guy in TX last year. The 4x6's were on sale last year for 1/2 price. The 8" Infinity sub came from my wife's Tahoe before we sold it, I paid 99.00 for it 4 years ago...again on sale.

Overall I think I have spent $300.00 on new parts/speakers for this car...it was all labor.
I may be addicted, but I'm also CHEAP
Very cool , I wish I was that mechanically inclined but I am not . Installing my 4x6's was about my capability .

The head unit I want is only $109 and the rear speakers are $105 but I will probably spend the same amount in labor just putting those items in .

Thanks for your info ... Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Front speaker recommendations for 1980 . Mine are disintegrated .

Quick Reply: Front speaker recommendations for 1980 . Mine are disintegrated .