Sponsored by:

Misfire - No Spark - At a loss

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:50 AM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Misfire - No Spark - At a loss

Alright, so I have a misfire. Sounds like on 3 cylinders, and it's fairly random (all speeds including idle (except around 2000rpm it *seems* like it goes away), and it comes and goes... usually it comes).

Using a timing light, I've noticed that cylinders 7, 4 and 6 are missing. The light will come on, but erratically. Here's what I've done over the course of the past 6 months:

-New distributor (checked it yesterday with ohm meter, coil and pickup appear to be good, and mechanically everything looks as it should).

-New cables

-New spark plugs

In both images top one is cylinder 1 which fires properly, and in both images bottom one is cylinder 7, which misses like a blind guy during target practice.

Can anyone read these plugs for me and tell me what they say? Does it match with what my timing light is indicating? Also, can anyone tell me what my next troubleshooting step is? I'm at a loss here.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:52 AM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Oh, and it's an '81 with the computer ripped out (ie, an '80).
Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM
KIKIRIKI
Instructor

Update: went out and got me a proper spark plug tester (one that you put inline and has a bulb)... and it indicates that every single sparkplug is good. So now what? Which instrument do I trust? Does this indicate a strong spark or does it matter? I'm back to thinking it's my carb now, which is also effectively brand new.

There needs to be a new "ripping hair out" emoticon.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The center electrodes don't look too good to me. I'd try replacing the plugs. They're cheap enough.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

First things first, I would check the contacts on the inside of the distributor cap. Make sure the contacts look good and that the rotor is secured to the distributor shaft. I have seen loose distributor rotors cause your exact problem.

Hope this helps
Old 10-04-2015, 06:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Also.......connect voltmeter test lead to the Distributor battery + connection and negative to a good ground on the engine.

Turn on the ignition switch to verify 12V........

While cranking engine watch test meter to verify voltage isn't dropping below 11 Volts..............

With engine running slowly rev engine while watching test meter to see if voltage fluctuates.......

If possible mount the test meter where you can easily see it while driving the car to watch for voltage drop.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's a fast easy way to eliminate voltage supply problems.

My car gave me trouble for six months as the problem got worse until members encouraged me to do the test.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:07 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Vacuum leaks can cause a miss. Too much air with not enough gas, even with spark, can cause a miss. BUT I would pull each spark plug wire one at a time on the engine end, put in a new plug that you know is good. Then ground that plug on the engine somewhere while you have a helper spin the motor. Do this on every cylinder and verify you have continual spark at every cylinder.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I AGREE with Douglas Marini 100%. I DO NOT trust new distributors. i have seen many new coils be painted BLACK..and thus...the ground strap UNDER the coil can not make good contact due to the paint....and also....the black wire that is screwed to the top of the coil...also does not make good contact.

Hopefully you actually ran the test in the GM book to make sure the coil and pick up are good as you wrote. And I would do a visual check to make sure the module is protected my the special grease between it and the distributor housing.

I use a Snap-On Kv tester when I am checking to see how many Kilovolts the spark plugs are actually getting.

If I have a cylinder that has 14 Kv...and the next cylinder has 2 KV....I swap out spark plug wires an check again.

Also...I make sure that the plug wires are routed correctly away from heat and NOT zip tied tightly together.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-06-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You might want to check the gap on the spark plugs. My old eyes see about 0.060.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

did the misfire happen over time or did it just start ?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:47 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Plug gaps look too big (as mentioned above) and there aren't any crush-ring washers on the plugs. Note the soot at the chamfer near the threads on one of your photos. Not sure the plugs are sealing well in the heads.

Whether you have points type ignition system or HEI, you can set the plug gaps at .035" just to see if that eliminates the 'miss' problem.

Also, be aware that the ground path for the distributor is through the hold-down clamp and bolt that retains the dizzy. If there is not a non-painted contact path from the dizzy body through that bolt and clamp and into the engine block, your ignition system has a bad ground path.
(unless the ground path is separately wired, as with some aftermarket ignition boxes)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
You might want to check the gap on the spark plugs. My old eyes see about 0.060.
Way to much gap.
Yup ....with stuff changed from stock, experimentation maybe in order.

Need to,start off with new AC plugs ...those electrodes do look worn ..

People neglect and fiddle with stuff they don't understand . You may have start from scratch and go over the whole motor with known good parts , that fit the application .
Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

gap and heat range of plug...
Old 10-06-2015, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

An 81 Corvette does not use spark plugs with the compression ring. The taper seat design is correct.

AND...KNOWING how to PROPERLY GAP spark plugs is also a benefit.

These are Platinum plugs....not knowing anything more and getting a response...I guess we are all in a 'holding pattern'.

DUB
Old 10-07-2015, 12:48 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sooo, you can determine the angle on those plugs is correct from that photo? great eyes... [wonder where that carbon came from]

Yes, I see the shiny line around the chamfer...which shows that some of the plug is seating. If it looks that way all the way around on all of them, sealing plugs is not likely a problem.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 10-07-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Sooo, you can determine the angle on those plugs is correct from that photo? great eyes... [wonder where that carbon came from]

Yes, I see the shiny line around the chamfer...which shows that some of the plug is seating. If it looks that way all the way around on all of them, sealing plugs is not likely a problem.
Not knowing if you were commenting on my reply.

BUT...if you were....the reason I know these plugs are the correct taper design is that the compression ring design spark plug was not used on a 1981 Corvette.

Where the carbon is coming form is not a concern of mine at his point. It could have been there from the previous spark plug that was removed and the spark plug hole not inspected and cleaned before the new plug went in.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Misfire - No Spark - At a loss

Quick Reply: Misfire - No Spark - At a loss