Sponsored by:

Closing door changes window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Closing door changes window adjustment

So lately I've noticed that if I close my door my window will adjust back slightly with each closing of the door event. Until it is so far back that it rubs the body when closing the door.
To fix it I just open the door, roll the window all the way down then back up. Close door and it's in it's forward position where it belongs.
I open the door because the window needs adjusted out a bit because it is catching the weatherstrip slightly in the front.

So naturally I take the panel off and hunt for the loose bolt only they are all tight as can be!

Put it all together and now it's even worse!!!
Now when I first roll it up and close there is a gap in the back. open and close a few times and it's spot on.
Keep opening and closing and it will be back to rubbing.

I'm guessing something inside is worn and needs replaced? Anyone here have an idea where to start before I just go throwing money at items that might not be the problem?

I have the AIM, I've read the adjustment procedure (or what I can understand of it), I've looked for a video on the adjustment to make sure I understand but no luck so far there. Did find a few write ups that make it easier to understand but like I said, all bolts are tight and it still moves around.

Any help is appreciated.

Nick
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Nick,
Have you removed the 2 upper track stops which allows the window to be cranked high enough that you can check whether all the fasteners that attach the bottom of the glass to the winder mechanism are tight and since they are nylon not overly worn?
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

I have not.
I'll try to do some digging to see how to do that.

Also, sorry it wasn't included in OP, it's a 76 if that matters.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
These are the bolts for the upper front and rear stops in the tracks.
You can see the small adjustment allowed for the stop in each track, but you want to remove the stops so the bottom of the glass can be wound to just above the door.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-05-2015 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SinfulC3 (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

QUESTION:

When you roll the window up all the way with the door OPEN....if you grab the glass...will it move in and out at all. AND if it does...roughly how much does it move 'in and out'???

THEN...if you grab the glass....will it move front to rear at all???

ASSUMING that the felt stops are in good condition....and your tracks are tight....the problem...from what I have encountered more times than I can count...is the rollers for the front and rear vertical tracks are worn and have play in them. And it does not take much play in them at all to cause the window to not be solid. These rollers I am referring to can be VISUALLY inspected.....because these rollers are what actually contacts your upper stops in both vertical tracks to set the height of the glass.

These rollers are a white plastic with the front one having metal stud that allows it to be bolted to the glass itself. IF the metal stud moves and the plastic roller stays put...it is bad when you manually move the glass in and out. REMEMBER..VERY little movement in the stud/roller where it is in the track...causes the end of the glass to move exponentially move due to the angle.

The rear roller is joined to the rear vertical track and the horizontal track that bolts to your glass. Check it also...if it has any play..it is shot also.

DUB
Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DUB
QUESTION:

When you roll the window up all the way with the door OPEN....if you grab the glass...will it move in and out at all. AND if it does...roughly how much does it move 'in and out'???

THEN...if you grab the glass....will it move front to rear at all???

ASSUMING that the felt stops are in good condition....and your tracks are tight....the problem...from what I have encountered more times than I can count...is the rollers for the front and rear vertical tracks are worn and have play in them. And it does not take much play in them at all to cause the window to not be solid. These rollers I am referring to can be VISUALLY inspected.....because these rollers are what actually contacts your upper stops in both vertical tracks to set the height of the glass.

These rollers are a white plastic with the front one having metal stud that allows it to be bolted to the glass itself. IF the metal stud moves and the plastic roller stays put...it is bad when you manually move the glass in and out. REMEMBER..VERY little movement in the stud/roller where it is in the track...causes the end of the glass to move exponentially move due to the angle.

The rear roller is joined to the rear vertical track and the horizontal track that bolts to your glass. Check it also...if it has any play..it is shot also.

DUB
I've seen the spanner nut come loose on the glass rollers cause the same issue.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...required-68-82

Old 10-06-2015, 08:08 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Yes I can move it in and out. Lets say an inch total movement.

No, I can not see the glass move forward to rear at all, or maybe I was to exhausted to put forth enough effort?

I didn't get a chance to visually inspect the rollers by following the instructions set forth but that is next on the agenda.

Thank you everyone for your help with ideas, I was at a total loss.

Willcox, If these prove to be the issue, you will certainly be seeing an order come in from me to repair it.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by SinfulC3
Yes I can move it in and out. Lets say an inch total movement.

No, I can not see the glass move forward to rear at all, or maybe I was to exhausted to put forth enough effort?

I didn't get a chance to visually inspect the rollers by following the instructions set forth but that is next on the agenda.

Thank you everyone for your help with ideas, I was at a total loss.

Willcox, If these prove to be the issue, you will certainly be seeing an order come in from me to repair it.
While you are ordering......how is the passenger window acting?
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM
SinfulC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
While you are ordering......how is the passenger window acting?
Rock solid, I think that actually upsets me more than if it were the same
70MPH down the freeway it will roll up and seal tight without a single hiccup.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by SinfulC3
Rock solid, I think that actually upsets me more than if it were the same
70MPH down the freeway it will roll up and seal tight without a single hiccup.
PERFECT...now you have aside of the car that you can use as an example when checking the rollers.

The roller that Willcox posted a photo of is the FRONT roller. There is another one that looks completely different at the rear vertical track.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Closing door changes window adjustment

Quick Reply: Closing door changes window adjustment