C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's familiar with 1975 Fusible links at the starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 PM
1975greenconvertible
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default Who's familiar with 1975 Fusible links at the starter?

Working on a 75. I happened to notice that the insulation on the fusible link by the starter was cracked pretty badly. It looks like there are 2 fusible links (red/orange?) that connect to the starter. Is this correct? It looks factory. What's the correct gauge to replace these with? The one with the cracked insulation seems to be a bit heavier gauge than the other. Anyone know of specific GM part #'s?

Auto Zone carries these. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Last edited by 1975greenconvertible; 10-09-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If it were me, I would simply 'adjust' the routing of those links to where they were not rubbing on other metal items and leave them alone. If you are concerned about their appearance, brush a little diluted dye or paint onto the insulation to recolor the wires.

You have original equipment which is apparently working just fine right now. If you replace them with aftermarket 'stuff', you may create other wiring issues, in the process. I think I would leave well enough alone on this one.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There are no specific part numbers of these fusible links. Because they are made into the harness. IF you plan on doing this...you MUST replace them with the correct gauge as you know and LENGTH also. I would have to look at a wiring diagram to confirm the gauge sizes are correct.

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If it were me, I would simply 'adjust' the routing of those links to where they were not rubbing on other metal items and leave them alone. If you are concerned about their appearance, brush a little diluted dye or paint onto the insulation to recolor the wires.
You have original equipment which is apparently working just fine right now. If you replace them with aftermarket 'stuff', you may create other wiring issues, in the process. I think I would leave well enough alone on this one.
100%

Clean up the wire and wrap it with some electrical tape to seal up that split in the insulation. But do as you wish.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Who's familiar with 1975 Fusible links at the starter?

Quick Reply: Who's familiar with 1975 Fusible links at the starter?