Sponsored by:

Relocating horns

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Relocating horns

Want to relocate horns - one gone out - to an easy to get to place. Anyone have suggestion? Is it as simple as just making some extension wires with male blade end on one end and female end on other end of extension and just connecting to new location? Obviously, electrical things are beyond me.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:54 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

1982 can't barely see mine to evaluate, need horns, don't know which wires to cut
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by slickfx3
...don't know which wires to cut...
Why cut anything? Horns unplug.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:36 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Why cut anything? Horns unplug.
can see them to reach them, i see them barely

show me how
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

I wonder what the answer to the original question is.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

So no one has an answer?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

just bought a set of horns at harbor freight for $9.99, while shopping for inexpensive tools

it may go into the headlight area, my horns are not working, very weak at best, i just don't know how to reach them to unplug them
Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default horns

Originally Posted by Larry82
Want to relocate horns - one gone out - to an easy to get to place. Anyone have suggestion? Is it as simple as just making some extension wires with male blade end on one end and female end on other end of extension and just connecting to new location? Obviously, electrical things are beyond me.
What year is your car? On my 68, the prev owner already relocated the horns to the left fender well using the power (+) wire from the horn relay (left fender side in engine bay). The ground (-) to the horn can go to any metal surface that is already grounded (engine, frame, etc). Best to un-plug the power wire at the horns, instead of cutting it. Not much slack in the stock power wire- you may need to splice a short piece of wire to reach your new install location (you can use the solderless connections like you suggest). To un-plug the wire you'll need to reach in from underneath the nose of the car or if your arms are thin, reach in the opening between the hood and nose when the hood is up. Note that there is a wire and plug going to each horn, but un-plugging the left one also removes power from the right one. Installing new horns in old location is a PIA. Need an extra joint in your arm or take the hood off to get access. RA
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

just bought a set of horns at harbor freight for $9.99, while shopping for inexpensive tools

it may go into the headlight area, my horns are not working, very weak at best, i just don't know how to reach them to unplug them
Slickfx3- If you raise your hood and shine a light in the opening between the hood and nose, can you see the horns fastened to the roof of the nose assembly? Should be a little on the passenger side of the center of the car. You may be able to reach in to unplug them, but if you really need to work on them with good access, the hood needs to be removed. I was able to reach in and remove the old (inoperative) horns by reaching in the opening between the hood and nose of car, but it is really tight. Installing the new horns required removing the hood, since I could not get two hands in at once. Should have done that in the first place. RA
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would leave the old horns in place .Cut the green wire going to the old ones and connect to the new ones placed in the front anywhere you can fit them.
The following users liked this post:
slickfx3 (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:46 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Slickfx3- If you raise your hood and shine a light in the opening between the hood and nose, can you see the horns fastened to the roof of the nose assembly? Should be a little on the passenger side of the center of the car. You may be able to reach in to unplug them, but if you really need to work on them with good access, the hood needs to be removed. I was able to reach in and remove the old (inoperative) horns by reaching in the opening between the hood and nose of car, but it is really tight. Installing the new horns required removing the hood, since I could not get two hands in at once. Should have done that in the first place. RA
mine is a 1982, are all c3's the same for horn locations?, i have to go check, cause i have been trying to find them for 4 months, i thought i saw them in the passenger fender, but i may be hallucinating
Old 10-16-2015, 12:00 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default horns

mine is a 1982, are all c3's the same for horn locations?, i have to go check, cause i have been trying to find them for 4 months, i thought i saw them in the passenger fender, but i may be hallucinating
slickfx3-my Motorbooks Workshop restoration manual says for 1982 they are located behind the grill on the outboard side of the headlights, instead of inboard like on my 68. could not find a photo. RA
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ronarndt
slickfx3-my Motorbooks Workshop restoration manual says for 1982 they are located behind the grill on the outboard side of the headlights, instead of inboard like on my 68. could not find a photo. RA

thanks one side or both?, want to narrow it down to start looking
Old 10-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
First, I find them easy to get to. I would not second guess GM on this one. There are not a lot of choices on a Corvette. Next if you have a bad horn or a weak horn. Get you handy GM multi tool out. Yes it is a hammer. If it is a bad horn you have nothing to lose. Give it a few good wacks, I mean good wacks, until it works. If it never does put your new horn where the old one was.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I may have mentioned this before...but install any horn with the open end DOWN so it does not trap water. Yes I have seen horns ruined by water!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default horns

thanks one side or both?, want to narrow it down to start looking
"one side or both". not sure- the book does not say. On my 68 they are together, about 3-4 inches apart. RA

Get notified of new replies

To Relocating horns

Quick Reply: Relocating horns