Sponsored by:

hood latch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default hood latch question

1968 convert with replacement BB long style hood w/o ww door. Left side latch is OK. The right side hood latch keeps releasing when the car hits even small bumps, rough road or any other vibration. I have adjusted the male part of the latch up and down and adjusted the rubber bumper screw also. I have new release cables and believe they are adjusted properly- no slack so they will open the hood, but only tight enough to just make contact when fastened. With the car standing, I can bounce the hood up and down on the right and the latch stays closed. First little bump when driving usually releases it and the right side hood pops up. Before I blindly start adjusting the position of the bracket on the hood and bracket on the fender are there any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:23 AM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same problem. Take a piece of painters tape and cover the female bottom side of the latch. Slowly lower the hood to see where the male pin is going into the latch opening. Don't close the hood, but lower enough to make an indentation in the painters tape. That will show you how you need to adjust and center the latch. It can be adjusted side to side as well as back to front. 10 minute fix!!
The following users liked this post:
ronarndt (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 12:13 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default latch question

Originally Posted by DABall
I had the same problem. Take a piece of painters tape and cover the female bottom side of the latch. Slowly lower the hood to see where the male pin is going into the latch opening. Don't close the hood, but lower enough to make an indentation in the painters tape. That will show you how you need to adjust and center the latch. It can be adjusted side to side as well as back to front. 10 minute fix!!
Thanks- was thinking of doing something like that, but was not sure what to use. I have some roll sealer about 2 inches wide, but it sticks like crazy and would be tough to get off after. I'll move the female part so the male part easily slips in. Sounds xxx rated.
RA
Old 10-12-2015, 08:00 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I fought with my 68 for months trying to solve this exact same problem. Finally figured out that the fault was that the fiberglass on the body is very thin where the right side pin plate attaches to the body and can be flexed by hand(common 68 problem, and I believe there was a TSB released to fix this). What ended working for me was NOT to adjust it the way the manual says to, ended up moving the pin plate as far rear and inboard as possible and that seemed to have pretty much solved it. Still unlatches on very big hits like very rough railroad crossings but not nearly as bad as it was(used to unlatch when just pulling out of the driveway as was very frustrating).
Good Luck, Doug
Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default hood latch

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
I fought with my 68 for months trying to solve this exact same problem. Finally figured out that the fault was that the fiberglass on the body is very thin where the right side pin plate attaches to the body and can be flexed by hand(common 68 problem, and I believe there was a TSB released to fix this). What ended working for me was NOT to adjust it the way the manual says to, ended up moving the pin plate as far rear and inboard as possible and that seemed to have pretty much solved it. Still unlatches on very big hits like very rough railroad crossings but not nearly as bad as it was(used to unlatch when just pulling out of the driveway as was very frustrating).
Good Luck, Doug
I used tape to cover the female part of the latch and put a small dab of red paint on the male part and carefully closed the hood to see where it was hitting. It was about 3/8 inch off, so I carefully adjusted it and checked again with the tape and paint. Dead center! Latched it and started to drive the car to an area where it was bumpy, but did not even get out of my driveway before it popped up. Checked the latch to see if it was worn or bent and then noticed that the left side- which never pops up, has more spring tension holding the catch closed, since it has its own spring and also the spring tension from the right spring, due to being connected by the release cable. Hmmmm. I added a second spring to the right side. Got busy doing other stuff, but will check tomorrow. Hope it works. Fortunately the hood opens from the back. A college friend back in 1964 had the hood of his car (front opening) come unlatched on the interstate and it flew back, covered his windshield so he could not see and neatly molded itself to the shape of his windshield and roof......all while going 60 mph. RA

Get notified of new replies

To hood latch question

Quick Reply: hood latch question