Sponsored by:

Capacitor near radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 PM
moo2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Capacitor near radio

Is this capacitor supposed to be there or did somebody add this? I'm working on my 69 and can't tell if it's factory or not.

Last edited by moo2; 10-13-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's for the clock when it rewound and the contacts opened it could cause a pop sound in the radio. The capacitors were in various places on the car. turn signal flasher, stop light switch, blower motor and a few more that don't come to mind. We installed them at the dealer level for the customers that complained of the noise on the AM band.

Corvettes were very prone to radio noise because of the fiberglas body. That's why the distributor and plug wires were shielded. Steel bodies cars didn't need the shielding because the firewall stopped the interference.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Absolutely factual response, above. And, that capacitor is, without question, toast by now. Since it is not hurting anything, just leave it alone. It shall remain in 'stock' configuration, but serve no functional purpose.

If you still have the original Delco radio in your car (highly unlikely), does it 'pop'? ....and, do you care?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 AM
moo2
Instructor

I've never drove the car yet, still trying to get it together. I don't care if it works or not. Is there a place it's supposed to be plugged in. I'm trying to figure all my dash wiring and didn't know what it plugs into. I am using the stock radio. Lol

Last edited by moo2; 10-14-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It is an electrolytic capacitor and is intended to be connected between the +12vdc power line going into an electrical device and ground. The + lead on the capacitor connects to the + power line.

Like I said, it probably dried out 20 or more years ago and no longer can hold a charge. You may just want to 'simulate' the electrical connections, rather than really hook it up electrically. No one is going to get behind the gauge cluster to check it out, anyway.

Do what you want with it.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:47 PM
moo2
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It is an electrolytic capacitor and is intended to be connected between the +12vdc power line going into an electrical device and ground. The + lead on the capacitor connects to the + power line.

Like I said, it probably dried out 20 or more years ago and no longer can hold a charge. You may just want to 'simulate' the electrical connections, rather than really hook it up electrically. No one is going to get behind the gauge cluster to check it out, anyway.

Do what you want with it.
Ok thanks. I guess that is why there is a brown hot wire back behind the instrument cluster, that I couldn't figure out a home for.

Get notified of new replies

To Capacitor near radio

Quick Reply: Capacitor near radio