C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?

Old 11-01-2015, 04:06 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Corto
Hi, I am new in the corvette world and new in the forum. I have searched through the forum but could not find the info I would need.

I am looking for one late years C3, I like the fastback shape. Also I would like it to be some kind of special edition car. Currently I am thinking about either 1978 Pace replica or 1982 CE.
The car would be a sunny-weekend car, 1-2000 miles per year, I would not change the appearance of the car but would go for some mild performance modifications (i.e. dual exhaust,...)
I have no chance to compare them in live (being in Europe), so I would appreciate your opinions about those cars, especially from them who had both of them.
I am interested in technical comparison and also in overall image of those two models.
Any opinion is appreciated.
Thanks,
Corto/Zdravko
Couldn't go wrong with either choice. Personally I'd go with the Collectors Edition.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:16 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

I'll say Pace Car hands down...my $.02

Old 11-01-2015, 11:02 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Corto
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your replies, especially for the explanations.

Currently for me, the PC with the such color combination has much more attractive appearance than the CE. But the front and rear spoilers on the CE look better as they are integrated in the body line.
The interior of the PC is "dry" (not to say boring), the CE is just a bit better with the colored details.
On the technical side, not sure if the CE has so much advantages, 700r4 is ok, but not really relevant for me as I would not make lot of miles. Lift rear glass, nice but not a tie breaker. CFI, rather disadvantage for CE. I have not gone through all info sources about CFI, but I percive it as more complicated to run and maintain, and less flexible for any change, where the Q-jet at PC is very well known technique done in (probably) million+ pieces.
What is also important to me is the fact that the PS is a real limited edition. Even as the similar numbers of both of them have been built, the PC were not available for all who would like to buy it, and the CE were.
As the major purpose of this question is to get a kind of public opinion of the relevant people (and this forum is the most relevant place for that), and as I am still quite new in the corvette world I am still making my mind.
So please, let me know what is your opinion and why (appearance, technical, image, colecteable,...)

Thanks

Last edited by Corto; 11-02-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Owned a 82 non CE that I regret selling. 700R4 gave good low end grunt with good overdrive gas mileage. CFI is a big advance over Q-jet, in my opinion, in regards to everyday driveablity and performance. Never had any issues with it. Think 82 is better looking. Get the itch to buy another one but no room in the garage, too many other cars, wah wah wah.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I voted pace car just because I find it considerably better looking than the CE.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you all for your replies, especially for the explanations.

Currently for me, the PC with the such color combination has much more attractive appearance than the CE. But the front and rear spoilers on the CE look better as they are integrated in the body line.
The interior of the PC is "dry" (not to say boring), the CE is just a bit better with the colored details.
On the technical side, not sure if the CE has so much advantages, 700r4 is ok, but not really relevant for me as I would not make lot of miles. Lift rear glass, nice but not a tie breaker. CFI, rather disadvantage for CE. I have not gone through all info sources about CFI, but I percive it as more complicated to run and maintain, and less flexible for any change, where the Q-jet at PC is very well known technique done in (probably) million+ pieces.
What is also important to me is the fact that the PS is a real limited edition. Even as the similar numbers of both of them have been built, the PC were not available for all who would like to buy it, and the CE were.
As the major purpose of this question is to get a kind of public opinion of the relevant people (and this forum is the most relevant place for that), and as I am still quite new in the corvette world I am still making my mind.
So please, let me know what is your opinion and why (appearance, technical, image, colecteable,...)

Thanks
You did say Pace care replica. that right there would hold no value to me over an original CE. But if you are talking about an original Pace Car, then I would choose the pace car over the CE. The '79 benefitted from the PC so I'm partial, also I'm not a big fan of the coloring of the CE, but to have a C3 with a hatch would be very cool.

Last edited by Tooonz; 11-02-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:40 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best of luck with your choice!

Last edited by mmesa005; 11-03-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best investment...
Pace car w/L-82 & 4 sp...
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Love my 82 CE with gymkhana.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't like any cars with " signage" on the doors about some Indy Race ......
Makes the car look like a rolling billboard and cheesy.......

But I do like the black n Silver paint scheme....just hate the stickers on the doors.

I believe though I'd buy the CE before a Pace car with decals applied...

Too bad the 82 s.didn't have a manual transmission.

So.......I d look for a 1981 black four speed

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 11-02-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I don't like any cars with " signage" on the doors about some Indy Race ......
Makes the car look like a rolling billboard and cheesy.......

But I do like the black n Silver paint scheme....just hate the stickers on the doors.
Leave the stickers off the pace car.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Corto
Advanced

Right, we talk bout PC replicas, one of the 6502. The original PC's are another category.
It seems the CE is more popular, although it is on the list of 10 the worst corvettes ......

Fine, I will take it into account when looking for my future C3, but will be also open for PC if any good deal pops up.

Thank you for your comments.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Tooonz
...You did say Pace care replica. that right there would hold no value to me over an original CE. But if you are talking about an original Pace Car, then I would choose the pace car over the CE...
FWIW: the Pace Car model is often referred to a Pace Car Replica in the printed material, including The Corvette Blackbook. Technically, except for the two cars prepped by GM and a contractor and actually used to pace the race that year, all Pace Cars are replicas of those two.

In this case, "replica" does not indicate fake or not genuine.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 11-05-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I'll also add the CE is only available with an automatic transmission so if you want a 4 speed there is only one choice a Pace Car.
That in itself would be enough for me..PC all the way.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Corto
Advanced

Ok thanks, I have thought that beside two pace cars there were also some PC cars related to the race event.
I.e. in 1973, when the pace car was Cadillac Eldorado, GM prepared two cars for the track, they were not availabe later for buying. But there were also 54 cars participating in the parade and later used by directors and as shuttle cars, and they were later sold to the public customers.

Last edited by Corto; 11-05-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:53 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

damnit man both these cars are so cool in such different ways, the ce is the crowing jewel of refinements the zenith that gm took the c3 to,
The pace car was a symbol of racing and a very eye striking item that really screams 1978, but I also sadly cant get past the pace car is a poser in a way, it's about looks, I had the camaro pace car, hated it,
Both cars hold memories for me but I guess if value and flipping had no bearing I had to keep it and drive it I would take the pace car, I lean more towards road race and beastly c3's than refined ones and while the ce is stunning the pacer car looks a little tougher to me....

Yeah, I would grab the pace car and get ready....I would drop in the engine it deserves.

Get notified of new replies

To Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I have thought that beside two pace cars there were also some PC cars related to the race event...
There were several PCs involved with race activities that year. There were two at the track as potential backups for the two race pace cars. There were about 25 others used for the Indy Festival Parade and related media events and to shuffle around VIPs and big wigs.

All but two were "replicas."
Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Corto
Advanced

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
There were several PCs involved with race activities that year. There were two at the track as potential backups for the two race pace cars. There were about 25 others used for the Indy Festival Parade and related media events and to shuffle around VIPs and big wigs.

All but two were "replicas."

And these 25, are they documented, are there a registry of them?
I suppose they might have high collecting value.

Last edited by Corto; 11-05-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:19 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

And these 25, are they documented, are there a registry of them?
I suppose they might have high collecting value.
I would suspect that for it to be the top dollar collectible then adding miles, wear and tear all remove some value, but you guys know I do not care any about resale value.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which one to choose: 1978 Pace Replica or 1982 Collector Edition?