No Shields

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 01:06 PM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

Default No Shields

1969 Corvette L46

I need new spark plug wires for my car. This time around I do not want to reinstall the exhaust manifold shields. (Alan ... I know you don't approve of this, probably shaking your head in disgust)

So reading up a little it seems as though I should purchase silicone spark plug wires and boots in order to keep the spark plug wire insulation from melting.

Does anyone have experience with this? Where should I purchase the wires?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ballen06; 11-20-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:44 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ballen06
1969 Corvette L46

I need new spark plug wires for my car. This time around I do not want to reinstall the exhaust manifold shields. (Alan ... I know you don't approve of this, probably shaking your head in disgust)

So reading up a little it seems as though I should purchase silicone spark plug wires and boots in order to keep the spark plug wire insulation from melting.

Thanks for your help.
JEGS sells wire kits, cut to length and install the end. They also sell several solutions for wire supports, some bolt onto the valve covers. Some good looking solutions are out there
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
Are you talking about the heat shields, the radio interference shields, or both?
What about the distributor shield if you're still using points and a regular distributor cap?
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for your help.
YES...I have.

For what this may be worth to you... I have worked on so many Corvettes with spark plug wire routing and support configurations that would blow your mind. Some of these are GREAT...others are a CLUSTER.

I am a believer in keeping any heat shields to protect heat at the spark plug/boot. If you don''t have them...it is NOT the end of the world...but if they can be used...I would use them. Just my opinion on that. AS for the additional chrome ignition shielding covers that were offered...that is a personal preference.

AS mentioned...JEG's does sell some good wires that you can make up yourself ( if you choose) and check to make sure the OHMS are correct.

And if you do not care about it being a perfectly correct Corvette...you can also purchase the heat sleeves for the spark plug boots.

So much depends on what you are doing with the car and what type of ignition system you have...and what you are expecting to achieve.

DUB
Old 11-20-2015, 09:26 PM
ballen06
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi b,
Are you talking about the heat shields, the radio interference shields, or both?
What about the distributor shield if you're still using points and a regular distributor cap?
Regards,
Alan
Hey Alan..

I have regular points and distributor cap. I'm going to utilize the distributor shield as well as the vertical shields. Just not going to install the horizontal heat shields as well as the heat shields just above the plugs. I'm debating as to whether to install the lower wire shields. Just trying to keep that area more accessible ... a simpler look. Other than that area my car is as it came from the factory. (Oh I forgot.. I don't have the air injection pump and all of its manifolds, etc) I'm the original owner.

Last edited by ballen06; 11-20-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: omission
Old 11-20-2015, 09:30 PM
ballen06
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...I have.

For what this may be worth to you... I have worked on so many Corvettes with spark plug wire routing and support configurations that would blow your mind. Some of these are GREAT...others are a CLUSTER.

I am a believer in keeping any heat shields to protect heat at the spark plug/boot. If you don''t have them...it is NOT the end of the world...but if they can be used...I would use them. Just my opinion on that. AS for the additional chrome ignition shielding covers that were offered...that is a personal preference.

AS mentioned...JEG's does sell some good wires that you can make up yourself ( if you choose) and check to make sure the OHMS are correct.

And if you do not care about it being a perfectly correct Corvette...you can also purchase the heat sleeves for the spark plug boots.

So much depends on what you are doing with the car and what type of ignition system you have...and what you are expecting to achieve.

DUB
Hey DUB ..

Thanks for the advice. If I have silicone boots do I still need heat sleeves?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:03 AM
ballen06
Pro

Dub has convinced me .. After sipping on a cup of coffee and thinking about it I will install the shields directly above the plugs. Makes good sense.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

1969 Corvette L46

Thanks for your help.
If, of course, your not NCRS
Old 04-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Spark plug wires

Age wears parts as much as mileage. I get why the original poster wants to keep wear items intact. But this one seems hard to accomplish. Don't rip the guy. Rip me instead. I rebuild my TPMS, saved my original wipers, brake pads and belts and have 6 mint wagon wheels because some day they will be wanted. Would it not be cool to find a 70 base Vette that had some original wear items saved? Yes I get it. I did however gain some insight for changing my own wires too. Thanks to all for that!

Get notified of new replies

To No Shields

Quick Reply: No Shields