Sponsored by:

77 dash into a 78

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:15 PM
bagpipes
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 77 dash into a 78

As per the title, is this possible to do in so far as straight forward "bolt in"?

I know there is a difference with the gauge bezel having two extra tabs / ears in order for the LS and RS of the dash to grab on to.

Anyone have an opinion on this? My 78 dash is in need of replacement and I much prefer the speedo / tach set up on the 77 (round ones) - and I don't care about the lack of glove box.

I also understand that the headlight switch or wiper switch is different but, I would imagine that I can mod a new dash pad to accommodate and re-use the 78 switch.

My biggest concern is if the mounting screw holes will line up or not and I'm kinda hoping that the knowledge here would be able to shine some light on that for me.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bagpipes
As per the title, is this possible to do in so far as straight forward "bolt in"?

I know there is a difference with the gauge bezel having two extra tabs / ears in order for the LS and RS of the dash to grab on to.

Anyone have an opinion on this? My 78 dash is in need of replacement and I much prefer the speedo / tach set up on the 77 (round ones) - and I don't care about the lack of glove box.

I also understand that the headlight switch or wiper switch is different but, I would imagine that I can mod a new dash pad to accommodate and re-use the 78 switch.

My biggest concern is if the mounting screw holes will line up or not and I'm kinda hoping that the knowledge here would be able to shine some light on that for me.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Certainly this can be done. The Forum contains many instances of 77 and earlier converting to a 78-82 style dash, so the reverse is possible. Do a search.

HOWEVER, there will be discontinuities between the 77 dash and the 78 door panels. Again, it is possible to modify 78 doors to the 77 style opening mechanism and then use 77 door panels.

Bottom line - at the end, you will have invested a lot of time AND money into this conversion. You will be time and money ahead retaining and repairing your existing 78 dash.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by bagpipes
...Anyone have an opinion on this?...
Just my .02: not worth your time, effort, or expense. Keep in mind dash harnesses changed, so add that to your list of chores for the swap.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Just my .02: not worth your time, effort, or expense. Keep in mind dash harnesses changed, so add that to your list of chores for the swap.

I would replace the dash and sell the car and get the car with the gauges you like.

OR

Unless you are into doing some SERIOUS work to get his idea to work. And I mean SERIOUS WORK.

DUB
Old 11-30-2015, 04:14 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check this thread out might give you some insight
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-model-c3.html
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I meant this one