C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Heres my humble opinion.

NCRS Top Flight in itself does not directly increase the value of the car but does give buyers alot more confidence on spending top of the market money on a car, especially on high value cars like chrome bumper BB cars.
The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
I need this logo on a t-shirt!

Love it,

Lee
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi n,
I think it's up to each individual to decide if having a car Flight Judged adds to it value.
Originally Posted by Zoomin
Value is in the eye of the bee holder, as they say. It's the combination of things that substantiate the worth of a car. Condition, originality, paperwork, numbers, options, drivetrain, rarity, ownership history all play a part.
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Buyers are out there for either

I don`t really see the "pissing match" referenced earlier? The OP`s question was looking for opinions as to added value. The obvious answer is to some it will, and to others it won`t.
What I would presume the OP is looking for, are there enough people out there who DO prefer a flight judged car to make it worth the investment to build a car that way.
We`ve seen these threads before, and the overall outcome seems to be that it`s still close to a fifty-fifty chance that at re-sale time a buyer will be interested in an NCRS correct car.
I don`t see any bashing here. I think many of us appreciate ALL Corvettes, but many of us have built our own cars, our own way, and would not lay out the extra money for a perfect example to sit in the garage and be afraid to drive. But be sure that I`m still going to drool over that top flight car at the car shows... and be in awe of the workmanship to get it there.
OK, so some joking does go on, and yes, I think the "Not Correctly Restored" is funny, but it is in fun, not mean spirited. Both camps are in the same group, we LOVE these cars, and if we can`t discuss the differences in them without hostility, what fun is that?
I personally would not invest in a high point car, but I`m glad others do, so I can enjoy seeing them out there from time to time. But, can you look at my slightly modified car, or somebody else`s full blown custom without a critical eye?
THAT`S what it`s all about!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by n8dogg
...Just curious as to what everyone thinks...
The only question here is how you feel about it. It's your car.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:44 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 63vette427
I think the value of a top flight car is higher than one that isn't. The only exception being maybe a restomod. I think for your situation as it was for me, it will cost you more in money for parts than you will recover. It depends on if you enjoy the experience of accomplishing the Top flight yourself. To do it just for the increase in value, my guess would be you would be lucky to break even after what you need to buy to accomplish it..

As Zoomin says, even after a car has been TF, it depends on what condition the car is when it is sold. So many parts could have been taken off the car since the TF and sold off.
The bulk of my car would likely score well in judging. I see top flight LT1's being advertised for $50k+, but who knows what they actually sell for. After reviewing the judging sheets for early C3's, I'd guess I could achieve 3rd flight as the car sits right now. If I wanted to go through the trouble of getting the car to top flight, it would still take money, time and effort. And like others mentioned, it then becomes a car you don't want to drive. I do believe that I would get my money out of it, as I would perform all of the work myself. Everyone's opinions help me decide if it is really worth it or not. I don't have plans to sell the car in the near future, so if anything I will slowly correct things here and there as time goes on.

Thanks to all for your input!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:10 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a great deal of respect for the NCRS, the cars that are preserved, and the folks who preserve them. Likewise for all the other preservation societies.

I would say that in the roughest of terms, an NCRS judged car would bring more money. Certainly if it is "Top Flight". It requires a tremendous amount of effort to get a car there (or keep it there)...the type of effort that most would not put forward.

By "more money", I'm not talking about double. I'm talking about if you have two identical cars...frame great, all nice, GM tags and stickers bristling the engine bay, jack, bias ply tires, all the junk that's supposed to be there...identical. Very nice vehicles. One is judged, the other is not. The judged vehicle WILL get more money. It WILL be worth more. Because someone went through that car with a fine tooth comb and found ALL the flaws in it. But in the end, "more money" is only what someone would pay for the paper.

A STORY: I had a friend with two 1968 convertibles. He had both of them judged. One made Top Flight, the other didn't quite make it. One of the things was the inside door pull. Something about the presence of casting flash on the inside of the driver's door pull that wasn't correct, meaning the door pull had been replaced with another year that LOOKED identical but didn't FEEL identical. THAT, my friends, is a fine tooth comb. And that is not something I would pick up on when looking over two very, very nice vehicles.

A SIDE NOTE: Tragedy was that BOTH of those 1968's were totaled when ONE FELL ON TOP OF THE OTHER while being transported by a professional auto carrier. Saw the "top" one with my own eyes. Have lots of pictures. Stunk.

To say a Corvette is "original" or "a survivor" doesn't hold a lot of water with my unless it carries with it a judging form from NCRS or Bloomington. You guys know what I'm talking about...the backyard train wreck with Camaro rims on Craigslist that is "all numbers matching original".

That said, I had no interest in a preserved car. Couldn't pay for one and don't want to maintain one.

Last edited by keithinspace; 11-24-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring if I may?
I think the topic was certainly covered from one end of the spectrum
to the other.

Here's something that I would consider if I was making an expensive
classic vehicle purchase.... who did the restoration?
Example:
What's my car worth TV show had a grey 57 Tbird, FI, at auction go for through the roof crazy $$$$ because the restorers reputation superceded the sale.
It exceeded all the experts estimates. Car was exceptional.

I'm speculating certain restorers are reknowned in the judging circles.
Whether you are buying a pedigree GTO Judge, L-88, 70 LS6 Chevelle,
etc.... I think the experienced restorer will win out over paper.
The Tbird referenced earlier did not have any showmanship awards.
The builder suggested this car was a clean slate for a discerning collector to go out and build his own resume of awards with it.
Personally, I don't care if your for sale car comes with 15 trophies I did not win.
Now that said, take a Dusenburg out to Pebble Beach restored to the
9's by a well known craftsman and its bound to medal for the sheer fact that the judges will be very familar with the builder and his level of workmanship.

If you have 40-50k for a C-3, I'd be more interested in who did the work to get it to a top flight status. I think in the investment category it may return more for the $ in future sale or trades.
A fresh restoration unseen before would be of interest to me so I could get my own certification if I ever had that kind of $$$.

My '68 BB is a GM warranty 427/390 replacement block.
It is period correct, interior is original, paint is original, has 84k
on it now and I drive it every nice day I get the chance to.
I would rather work with this car because it has good bones than some of the touched up cars I looked at before buying the '68.
Many folks have strongly suggested that I get this car "survivor" judged.
I have not persued the matter as its just my cruz nite car.
She pulls up at the shows, drools, shakes off mud and water on everyone who is in proximity, but everytime I go out to the garage and say "you wanna go for a ride" I get a wink out of the headlights at start up and miles of smiles and many thumbs up from the youngins.
That's why I drive a yellow corvette.
To the original poster.... I hope what ever level of car you purchase, it gives you as much pleasure as mine does, without any pedigrees.
What's in your garage?
Good luck on your hunt.
Decisions agh decisions.
Thee Marshal

Last edited by marshal135; 11-24-2015 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
n8dogg (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by marshal135
What's in your garage?
Good luck on your hunt.
Decisions agh decisions.
Thee Marshal
Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 1972 LT1 Coupe. It went through a cosmetic and suspension restoration in the early 2000's. The paint is the original color, but base/clear coat and in excellent condition. The car has seen maybe 3k miles since. Most of the major components are original or correct and in excellent condition- Engine, transmission, air cleaner, alternator, interior, wheels, paint color, interior color, glass, radiator, etc...

What is not correct is the carb (does have a holley, but not the correct one), distributor, rear end, shocks, sway bars, springs, battery and other small items. Some of the interior panels and parts have been replaced by reproduction parts (corvette central, corvette america, etc...)

The frame is gorgeous, the body is straight, the paint is gorgeous, interior is very clean. It wouldn't take a ton of money to make everything correct.

I don't plan to go full bore in making it correct, but if I find the right rear end, or a correct distributor or carb I will grab it. For now I will continue driving and enjoying the car!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:57 PM
thread baron
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a pretty simple answer to your original question, "Yes" it substantially helps, but it should add value since it cost more to get it there.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Be careful that logo got me in hot water...

I have zero idea why a thread like this does get into some kind of "vs" idea with insults and people getting all butt hurt but they do,
The simple fact is while modding is my thing I highly respect ALL builders be it 100% bone stock or radical customs, but I sadly seldom get that same respect in return, ( from the stock guys )
I have seen trends change, once upon a time cars that were modded were returned to stock it was the thing for c3's that is no longer the big trend like my poll a while back showed most c3 owners like mods, perhaps not radical but any mod IS a mod,
So at resale time will ncrs type awards help with sales?, yes, in that little group that desires that, will it add to value? yes, again with that little group who wants that.
Substantially? that is a bit personal opinion and what is "Substantial" to one cat isn't to the next.
If the car is a base model chances are even with ncrs awards that the group of buyers will be smaller and will pay less than the same car modded in the ways people gravitate to, the big dollar c3's are the stock rare cars and the resto mods that are fairly radical....
Old 11-25-2015, 11:14 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Be careful that logo got me in hot water...

I have zero idea why a thread like this does get into some kind of "vs" idea with insults and people getting all butt hurt but they do,
The simple fact is while modding is my thing I highly respect ALL builders be it 100% bone stock or radical customs, but I sadly seldom get that same respect in return, ( from the stock guys )
I have seen trends change, once upon a time cars that were modded were returned to stock it was the thing for c3's that is no longer the big trend like my poll a while back showed most c3 owners like mods, perhaps not radical but any mod IS a mod,
So at resale time will ncrs type awards help with sales?, yes, in that little group that desires that, will it add to value? yes, again with that little group who wants that.
Substantially? that is a bit personal opinion and what is "Substantial" to one cat isn't to the next.
If the car is a base model chances are even with ncrs awards that the group of buyers will be smaller and will pay less than the same car modded in the ways people gravitate to, the big dollar c3's are the stock rare cars and the resto mods that are fairly radical....
I would only consider achieving an NCRS award on a rare model, like my LT1. For a base car, or even highly optioned car, I'd drive it and improve the car with modern technology/mods. Even tho my car is considered "rare", I still am not motivated to go all out and make it so I can get an NCRS award.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:20 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KYC4
I need this logo on a t-shirt!

Love it,

Lee

That is a good idea.

Not to poo poo on the NCRS just for all the other guys who aren't, I don't see anything wrong, with a little humor. lighten up and move on.

I am sure that the NCRS recognition on a car may have an affect on the price of a car, and would most definitely help a buyer to feel more sure of what he is buying.

Last edited by oldsarge; 11-25-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:40 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

In order for the hobby to survive in it's purest form, there will always need to be the Garage/Trailer Queen section. I think we all have an appreciation for these cars whenever we are afforded the sometimes rare opportunity to see them in the light of day. How the NCRS evolves over the next decade or two will be paramount to the value and desirability of these beautiful rides. I've not seen as many young people in the crowds at these gatherings, and MOST current members might not be around in 10 - 20 years.

I sometimes wonder what happens to many of these cars when the future ownership is left to a son or daughter who only see's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Would we all love to own such a car? Maybe......But even with a large "lottery win" slush fund, I'd have a hard time walking out to my garage every night just to look at it, instead of turning the key and heading for the beach on a Saturday evening.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:07 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Beautiful, and well said Brian! And your thoughts on future generations is EXACTLY why all my sons have blood, sweat, and greasy fingernails into all these cars.... so they`ll see more than just the pot of gold, and know what it took to build them! I can see the look of satisfaction & accomplishment in their eyes as we work on them too.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KYC4
...I need this logo on a t-shirt...
Originally Posted by The13Bats
...Be careful that logo got me in hot water...
Good advice. The "Not Correctly Restored" graphic is a copyright infringement.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:22 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
Beautiful, and well said Brian! And your thoughts on future generations is EXACTLY why all my sons have blood, sweat, and greasy fingernails into all these cars.... so they`ll see more than just the pot of gold, and know what it took to build them! I can see the look of satisfaction & accomplishment in their eyes as we work on them too.

If those inheriting the cars, look anything like the majority of the Millenials running the Venture Capital Firms, those cars will be an extinct species. None of them, look like they ever had dirty 30w running down their tanned arms, as they pull a filter off from underneath.

They'll either pay somebody to have them worked on, providing that it will be an investment worth having, they'll sell it immediately, or they'll drive them minimally, if at all. In that case, C3 circumstances being what they are, they'll start to need parts and labor, then it will get parked and then it will just sit their and rot away, because that's what C3's do best, if they don't move.

Get notified of new replies

To From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?

Old 11-26-2015, 02:16 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Good advice. The "Not Correctly Restored" graphic is a copyright infringement.

in my case the "hot water" was said tongue in cheek, a few NCRS fellows didn't like it in my sig, I told that many NCRS guys do hate that parody logo, so out of respect to them ( and the real NCRS ) I removed it from my sig, however, I still see it as a humorous poke at myself for the stuff I build not a slam at actually true NCRS or it's members.
But I do tend to try to be light hearted and find humor in many things.

I do see it ( the parody logo ) all over the place, people on this very forum still use it in posts, and I see a cat or two who have it as their avatar,
People do sell that parody logo on decals and T-shirts...
Old 11-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The13Bats. There is room in this hobby for all car builders either stock or custom or in between. But there is no room for the name callers and downers.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The13Bats. There is room in this hobby for all car builders either stock or custom or in between. But there is no room for the name callers and downers.

Like I said i removed something for the simply reason it offended some people,
If you have read any of my remarks on that subject you know I do not name call or down anyone, i like peace and camaraderie
I also boast I am into modded stuff yet respect the guys who want stock far more than most any of them have offer that same respect back at me...

Quick Reply: From a value standpoint, does NCRS Certification substantially help?